Gym Hoppers.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@ParadiseMom...I just wanted to clarify that I nor my CP's have ever been labeled gym hoppers! I don't want that misinterpreted. We were at the same gym since 2007. This is only the 2nd gym. They have went thru enough with one change! They like and need consistency!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didnt mean to imply that you were. I was just answering to the thread itself. I shouldnt have replied to your statement and just added my statement by itself. I apologize.

do these gyms not make you sign a contract?
i know at my old gym you must sign a contract pretty much stating that you will stay at the gym and if you decide to just up and leave, you must still pay all the fees (tuition, uniform, etc) UNLESS of course something traumatic happens. i.e a death, moving, family issues things of that nature. but other than that if you decide to leave you are bound by the contract to still pay.
Ours, too. Even if there is an injury, we have a buy-out clause. And due to high military population, only with a hard copy of orders can they be released from the contract without financal obligation.

^^^^Our contract where I coached AS previously is similar.

You can leave mid-season, but you still will owe. All Stars is a business and leaving in the middle of the season hurts the bottom line on some level, and also hurts KIDS. This is a team sport and just leaving in the middle of a season causes them to have to make a lot of changes. You are FREE BIRD once your season is up, though.

On the flipside of kids leaving gyms:

I know some coaches/programs who have been NASTY to kids and parents for leaving. Ex: Seeing them at comps and just being plain rude. Talking trash about them. Assuming why they're choosing to leave.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I have always prided myself on the fact that you can tell me you're leaving, and I'll shake your/your mom's hand and wish you the best. When I see you competing with your other team, I'll even tell you you did a great job. Even if you and your parents trashtalk me/the gym/our programs/etc. all day long! I don't care.

It has even PISSED people off because they bursted into the gym in a huff announcing "We're just not happy here anymore, my daughter should be point flyer and she has better opportunities elsewhere!"

Me: Oh ok. Good luck to you at XYZ All Stars honey. We'll miss you!

Parent: *blank stare*

Like is too short and there are too many other kids on this team to spend my time begging, pleading, or even harassing you. Happy trails and I actually look forward to seeing you compete at your new place!

Hey, if you choose to tryout and return down the road, we'll even TAKE YOU BACK with a smile! At times, gyms can make that REALLY AWKWARD. I don't have time. Life is too short and these are kids we're dealing with.

Last edited:
This is my athletes 7th year at the same gym. We love the program but I found this season it's no longer what I want. I want structure, more committed athletes and more practice. I feel you need to practice more as a SR 4 team and parents and or athletes should not dictate hours they can attend practice. I found a gym that offers what I'm looking for but I'm undecided about changing gyms. I really like the people and they are like a family but I feel it would be best for us to move on.

This is my athletes 7th year at the same gym. We love the program but I found this season it's no longer what I want. I want structure, more committed athletes and more practice. I feel you need to practice more as a SR 4 team and parents and or athletes should not dictate hours they can attend practice. I found a gym that offers what I'm looking for but I'm undecided about changing gyms. I really like the people and they are like a family but I feel it would be best for us to move on.

What does your cp want? Does he/she want to make the change as well?
When we left our first gym after 5 years, my then older-now former-cp could not wait to leave however I dragged my younger-now only-cp from there kicking and screaming. Even though it was not the right place for our family any more, she still loved it - her team, her friends and her coaches. Looking back now she is so happy we left when we did but initially it was harder for her.
One piece of advice I can give you is never to start a new season angry or annoyed because it is only going to get worse as the season progresses. If you began this season that way at your current gym, then I agree with what you said, it is probably best for you to move on, especially if you feel you have found a gym that has what you are looking for.
Just know the grass is not always greener, sometimes, it is just different grass and you need to change how you water it.

When we lived in Arizona a "gym hopper" was the worst thing to be called. Now living in Texas, everyone moves around all the time. Cp did her 1st year at CA, I drove over an hour each way. The next season we moved to Spirit because it was 10 minutes from our house and had two amazing seasons there. Then she burned out bad. So we took a season off. Around the same time CA moved closer to us, when she decided to go back she wanted to go there. Due to some crazy family stuff we ended up having to leave in July. Now we are at a small, close to home, 1st year program. The only way we are moving is if he closes or she busts out a double full and there is no team for her...then it's back to Spirit.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My attitude towards this has changed the more time we have spent in this sport. The reality is "I pay". If I choose to buy Jif peanut butter after 7 years of buying Skippy... that is my right.

I have always instilled in my kids that commitment is HUGE and they should follow through always. But, like I said on another thread, commitment is a two way street. And honestly I think my views on commitment in the cheer world have changed over the years. If you can tell a child every single day that he/she will be replaced ... then the parents/athletes should be able to do the same.

And, as far as those contracts... I would be interested to see the outcome of one of those in a court of law someday. Honestly, I think if you have paid for everything you have received when you leave (and I believe some may have actually paid more if comp fees are paid ahead of time etc.) then I am guessing that no judge is going to say you have to pay for a "product" you did not receive.

Anyway... just my .02. Again, when it comes to my own kids I am a huge stickler on commitment and I believe learning to stick something out through good and bad is such an amazing life lesson. That said, if they finish the jar of Skippy and want to try Jif... that is their prerogative. IF they find a dead rat half way into their jar of Skippy... I'd likely feel that was reason to switch to Jif before finishing that jar of Skippy ;)

My attitude towards this has changed the more time we have spent in this sport. The reality is "I pay". If I choose to buy Jif peanut butter after 7 years of buying Skippy... that is my right.

I have always instilled in my kids that commitment is HUGE and they should follow through always. But, like I said on another thread, commitment is a two way street. And honestly I think my views on commitment in the cheer world have changed over the years. If you can tell a child every single day that he/she will be replaced ... then the parents/athletes should be able to do the same.

And, as far as those contracts... I would be interested to see the outcome of one of those in a court of law someday. Honestly, I think if you have paid for everything you have received when you leave (and I believe some may have actually paid more if comp fees are paid ahead of time etc.) then I am guessing that no judge is going to say you have to pay for a "product" you did not receive.

Anyway... just my .02. Again, when it comes to my own kids I am a huge stickler on commitment and I believe learning to stick something out through good and bad is such an amazing life lesson. That said, if they finish the jar of Skippy and want to try Jif... that is their prerogative. IF they find a dead rat half way into their jar of Skippy... I'd likely feel that was reason to switch to Jif before finishing that jar of Skippy ;)
Years ago, I knew a of parent (who was a lawyer) who pulled their cp from a gym because she didn't like the way things were ran and she said there was no way the contract would hold up in court.

In year 2 of my CPs Allstar career the gym we were at split. We chose to go where 95 percent of the kids did. The first gym tried to hold us to our contract. We took it to a lawyer who looked it over said its a month to month service contract and they could not hold us to it. :).

We had a gym in AZ come after us for a years worth of fees and we were only there two weeks. They sent us to collections and it was never pursued because the gym could not prove where they were getting there final amount from. I try to stay away from gyms with "contracts" but have found there is really no way for them to enforce them.

^^^^Our contract where I coached AS previously is similar.

You can leave mid-season, but you still will owe. All Stars is a business and leaving in the middle of the season hurts the bottom line on some level, and also hurts KIDS. This is a team sport and just leaving in the middle of a season causes them to have to make a lot of changes. You are FREE BIRD once your season is up, though.

On the flipside of kids leaving gyms:

I know some coaches/programs who have been NASTY to kids and parents for leaving. Ex: Seeing them at comps and just being plain rude. Talking trash about them. Assuming why they're choosing to leave.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I have always prided myself on the fact that you can tell me you're leaving, and I'll shake your/your mom's hand and wish you the best. When I see you competing with your other team, I'll even tell you you did a great job. Even if you and your parents trashtalk me/the gym/our programs/etc. all day long! I don't care.

It has even PISSED people off because they bursted into the gym in a huff announcing "We're just not happy here anymore, my daughter should be point flyer and she has better opportunities elsewhere!"

Me: Oh ok. Good luck to you at XYZ All Stars honey. We'll miss you!

Parent: *blank stare*

Like is too short and there are too many other kids on this team to spend my time begging, pleading, or even harassing you. Happy trails and I actually look forward to seeing you compete at your new place!

Hey, if you choose to tryout and return down the road, we'll even TAKE YOU BACK with a smile! At times, gyms can make that REALLY AWKWARD. I don't have time. Life is too short and these are kids we're dealing with.

What an amazing attitude to have....I'm not sure why some people take it so personally. I am searching for the right fit for my child and not every gym has the same philosophy. I've been at the same gym for years but thinking of changing.

Last edited:
I didnt mean to imply that you were. I was just answering to the thread itself. I shouldnt have replied to your statement and just added my statement by itself. I apologize.
@ParadiseMom.....no need to apologize, it's totally cool! I just wanted to clarify. One thing that I'm huge on is consistency with tumbling. Leaving a program that you were with for many years is not easy! The absolute worst mistake that I made was not putting my CP straight on team as the owner/coach recommended. I could start a new "thread" on dealing with cleaning up skills, tumbling differences between gyms, ect...my CP has been a part if taking tumbling classes, open gym, ect. The issue has came that during comp season, because it's a small gym they close. But owner has my CP training with one of their gymnastics coaches. It's all good!!

I know a kid that has been on 9 different teams/gyms, four in one season, and he's only been a cheerleader since 2007. am i the only one that finds this a bit ridiculous?

We have gym hoppers but that takes it to a new level! Sounds to me like he is never going to be happy anywhere!

Honestly you could probably call my kid a gym hopper as we are military, tend to move and sometimes start at one gym it isn't a fit and move to another.

I think we are quick to judge 'gym hoppers' and we don't know what's going on inside the gym. A change of coaching staff = change of coaching styles, maybe new kids that the cp does not feel comfortable around or get along with at all. Maybe a huge mental block a fresh perspective helps them get over. As long as the kid is happy. Who are we to judge.

Back