Gym Owner/coach Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The money issue wouldn't be my first thought...of course, I'm not an owner so I don't usually think of that anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if it shouldn't be like a lot of dr's offices where the dr knows nothing of the money/insurance part of someone's situation. They keep that far away so that the person gets the care they need regardless of ability to pay. Granted, gyms are (relatively) small businesses and that may be a luxury, but if a gym owner handles the money and a cheer/tumble director handles team placement, and neither crosses the other, that could solve the issue.

I wish I could agree with some of the posters above. If Cheerleader "B" does meet her financial commitment and is the stronger person for the team, then I think she should be on the team. If, in the end, she can not meet her financial obligation, then who is going to cover that cost? Is it the other parents? Gym owners? I doubt there is a huge profit margin with an Allstar gym. I'm guessing most gym owners do it for the love of the sport, not the profit margin. As business owners they need to also look at the bottom line. Bills need to get paid.

I <3 You...can you come move to Texas and coach for Spirit? lol

In my dreams lol :)

I wish I could agree with some of the posters above. If Cheerleader "B" does meet her financial commitment and is the stronger person for the team, then I think she should be on the team. If, in the end, she can not meet her financial obligation, then who is going to cover that cost? Is it the other parents? Gym owners? I doubt there is a huge profit margin with an Allstar gym. I'm guessing most gym owners do it for the love of the sport, not the profit margin. As business owners they need to also look at the bottom line. Bills need to get paid.

One kid isn't really gonna make or break things imo. Most gym owners are overcharging so exhorbitantly for things just so they CAN profit, I don't really see how 1 or even 10 kids depending on the size of your program would even make a huge dent in the profits. Again, not a gym owner, so maybe I'm way off....

Hypothetical situation:

Two cheerleaders, identical skills and abilities, both have been at the gym for the same length of time, both have a great attitude. Cheerleader A's parent always keeps their tuition balance at $0. Cheerleader B's parent works lots of fundraisers to try to reduce a large balance and sometimes can't make payments. There is one spot on the team left.

Who gets the spot?

I'm not a gym owner, but I'm going to be slightly contrarian here and say Cheerleader A.

As much as I want to say "reward Cheerleader B for their persistence and dogged fundraising", the reality is that if a parent is struggling to pay the bills now, what happens when there's an unexpected hospital bill or the car breaks down? The large balance becomes a giant balance, and then you're now in the position of possibly removing the athlete from the team for non-payment, or eating an ever-increasing deficit.

Now in a perfect world, Cheerleader B would be getting help from somewhere - a non-profit, maybe a gym scholarship or program where the cheerleader and/or parents do work around the gym in exchange for a tuition discount. I am a gigantic fan of giving kids every opportunity to compete in organized athletics. But if none of those options are available, and all things being generally equal, you have to go with the person who is more likely to be there for the entire season. That's the only fair thing to do for the team and for the parents who are paying their bills on time, because once you make the exception for one kid, you open the floodgates.

Very, very valid argument, @newcheerdad. Gym owners can't save the world. Or can they...?

Very, very valid argument, @newcheerdad. Gym owners can't save the world. Or can they...?

I never, ever, in a million years want to see a motivated kid excluded from a team or program because of their inability to pay. But if you've exhausted all of the possible avenues and you're still not able to pay the bills, the gym owner has to make a decision. Some gym owners might decide to let that family slide, and I respect that decision. We've done that in our soccer program before with families that had financial difficulties. But you can only do that for so long, or with so many kids, before it eats into the bottom line.

There are opportunities for kids to be involved with cheerleading that aren't as financially draining as all-star. Rec programs, pop warner, etc. Maybe even a team at the same gym that has a smaller financial commitment. Part of me wishes that all-star cheer was less expensive so it was more accessible to more folks, but that's not the reality.

I never, ever, in a million years want to see a motivated kid excluded from a team or program because of their inability to pay. But if you've exhausted all of the possible avenues and you're still not able to pay the bills, the gym owner has to make a decision. Some gym owners might decide to let that family slide, and I respect that decision. We've done that in our soccer program before with families that had financial difficulties. But you can only do that for so long, or with so many kids, before it eats into the bottom line.

There are opportunities for kids to be involved with cheerleading that aren't as financially draining as all-star. Rec programs, pop warner, etc. Maybe even a team at the same gym that has a smaller financial commitment. Part of me wishes that all-star cheer was less expensive so it was more accessible to more folks, but that's not the reality.

Which begs the question- WHY is it so expensive in the first place? As a coach, I have to pay hundreds of dollars for credentialing, not to mention coaches fees at competitions. What other sports require a coach to PAY in order to enter an tournament? And don't get me started on these EPs overcharging. I mean, $100+ per participant is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS. I know you have to pay for judges, and to rent a space, but still.... I just can't see fees that high happening in any other competitive sport.

It sounds like cheerleader B's mom is making the effort to fundraise and not the child. It also sounds as though cheerleader A's parents are paying the bill, not the child. So, where the money comes from has nothing to do with the children themselves. In that case, I believe the coach has to really dig deep and see which one brings more to the team overall.

I have seen kids in our gym who are on scholarhip walking in with real Uggs, real designer purses, latest new clothing fashions, etc., and then there are the ones who are wearing thrift store clothing who paid their bill on time. I would hope that the coaches choose the best fit team for each kid.

A couple of thoughts:

1) At our gym one athlete's inability to pay does NOT get transferred over to the other athletes. If our owner decides to allow that athlete to stay, he forfeits that profit.

2) If both cheerleaders have the identical skills and ability level (which I highly doubt they are identical in EVERY area), my thought would be to put them both on the team as alternates and let them prove to you which is more deserving of the spot. I guarantee you one of them will prove to be the better fit for the team. You might even find that you want to keep both of them and that someone else is the weaker link.

3) As a coach I will do anything and everything in my power to help an athlete continue to cheer if it's financial reasons that they can't. However, if I see their parents driving expensive cars, getting daily tans, weekly manis and pedis, etc. etc., I will not hesitate to make the child sit out from practicing. Because in the end, I am not in the business of making life "easy" for a self-absorbed parent. Even if that means losing a very valuable athlete on the team.

It sounds like cheerleader B's mom is making the effort to fundraise and not the child. It also sounds as though cheerleader A's parents are paying the bill, not the child. So, where the money comes from has nothing to do with the children themselves. In that case, I believe the coach has to really dig deep and see which one brings more to the team overall.

I have seen kids in our gym who are on scholarhip walking in with real Uggs, real designer purses, latest new clothing fashions, etc., and then there are the ones who are wearing thrift store clothing who paid their bill on time. I would hope that the coaches choose the best fit team for each kid.

now just because you see a kid with real uggs, real purses doesnt mean the family bought them.

No, it doesn't mean that the family bought them. However, with a few of the girls I'm referring to, if someone else bought they things they have for them, they must have some extremely generous family/friends.

I also would like to say that I don't begrude any child having anything. I was just trying to make the point that it really doesn't matter what the kids have. In the end, I hope the coaches can choose the best team for the kids and the rest of the gym.

sorry I think the child whose tuition, etc is paid should get the spot
1 If tuition doesn't get paid, how will coaches, gym expenses get paid
2 If they cant make tuition, can they cover costs of traveling, hotels, gas , etc
3 Gym owners are in it for profit as well as enjoyment, as most business owners (no I'm not an owner)
4 There are always alternatives for child, pop warner, rec which are less expensive
Bottom line - when you sign up for All Star you know its gonna cost you and there are less expensive options

This is always such a tricky situation. I used to own a gym, and people (owners, coaches, parents...) EASILY forget that this is a business!

When I sold the gym, I put in my contract that my own kids could take "tuition free" for the rest of their lives. Even with that, all star cheerleading is expensive. (uniform cost, camp clothes, choreography fees, competition fees... just to name a few, still have to be paid by the participant) The gym has to PAY for these things, and when "Susie" doesn't pay her bill, someone still has to pay the uniform, T-shirt, choreographer, and competition companies. Trust me....those companies don't care that Susie's parent's are fund raising! They want their money. (stepping off soap box)

As for which child should make the team: If you put in your contract that balances must be paid in order to try out, then you stick with that. Otherwise, your contract is empty words on a paper.

SIDENOTE: I have given COUNTLESS privates for free, mixed music and choreographed routines at no charge, bought cheer shoes for a flier so her full-up would hit.... etc. I have a HUGE heart, always root for the underdog, but this is a business too.

Back