Gymnastics To Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 9, 2012
Hi, we are new to competitive cheer. Our daughter was a lvl 9 gymnast and decided she wanted to have more social time, but still do a competitive sport. The hardest thing for us is she is on a lvl 5 team, and I feel as a "NEWBIE" so much pressure. Most of the moms have been involved many years and understand everything. I feel a little intimiated by them so I figured here wouild be a good place to learn about scoring, diffculty,and so on. So please enlighten me with your information on how the cheer world works!!

Hi, we are new to competitive cheer. Our daughter was a lvl 9 gymnast and decided she wanted to have more social time, but still do a competitive sport. The hardest thing for us is she is on a lvl 5 team, and I feel as a "NEWBIE" so much pressure. Most of the moms have been involved many years and understand everything. I feel a little intimiated by them so I figured here wouild be a good place to learn about scoring, diffculty,and so on. So please enlighten me with your information on how the cheer world works!!
I came from competitive gymnastics also, level 10. However, it's easier to stand out as a boy than it is a girl. We have our first competition tomorrow. I came from gymnastics 3 years ago. Cheerleading is the most amazing sport I have ever been a part of. Coming from gymnastics, it seems waaaaay too out there so to speak. But you get used to it, and it is the most joyful, uplifting, dedicated sport I have ever been a part of. ONe thing to look out for, is gymnastics is classified as individual sport. Cheer, is a team effort, the final score depends on what happens in the all around. There are no individuals in cheerleading. I'm a backspot, and I've thrown my body to the ground many a times to stop my flyer from hitting it first. From Gymnastics, it's really not as hard to transition as you would expect, there are many similar aspects.

Nick.

please go to the parents section... you have to ask to join but we welcome you there!
There is a lot of info that you may find useful in the parents section regarding your questions! Welcome!

I too came from gymnastics to cheerleading. I was a level 8 when i stopped doing gymnastics and was welcomed into the world of cheerleading. I love it. The transition was honestly very easy! Yes cheer is a team effort not just you competing by yourself. After my first season last year I was honestly in love. Last year I was just a fill in this year I'm actually on a team with my own spot. The feeling I get everytime I walk out onto the floor with my team is amazing and something I had never felt before. I know you and your daughter will have a wonderful first season.

Hi, we are new to competitive cheer. Our daughter was a lvl 9 gymnast and decided she wanted to have more social time, but still do a competitive sport. The hardest thing for us is she is on a lvl 5 team, and I feel as a "NEWBIE" so much pressure. Most of the moms have been involved many years and understand everything. I feel a little intimidated by them so I figured here would be a good place to learn about scoring, difficulty,and so on. So please enlighten me with your information on how the cheer world works!!
I'm laughing a little at the thought of at having more free time going from gymnastics to cheer, especially being on a Level 5 team, but otherwise welcome to cheer world! It's a great place to be and I think your daughter will truly love the team aspect of our sport. Both of my cps (cheer princesses) came from gymnastics originally (never competitive, just classes), fell in love with cheer and never looked back.
Definitely come over to the parent's forum, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there happy to answer your questions.

We have had quite a few gymnasts come to cheer, and do very well. The main difference is TEAM, she are 1 of a group of girls/boys who rely on her and she relies on them. Being level 9 she is obviously a very talented tumbler, so try to get in as much xtra stunting classes or practice. For you the mom, the competitions are so much fun, everyone there cheering on your daughter and her team! Have fun!!!

We have a new gymnast on our team, and one thing I wanted to point out is that girls get hurt by other girls. Stunts fall, people get hit.

I've noticed our new girl struggle the most with a missed stunt catch or hitting someone else in tumbling. It happens, no one hates you for it, and everyone understands.

I also came from gymnastics! But I love cheer so much. It's definitely similar and I'm sure your daughter will love it. If you have the time on your hands I'm pretty sure there's a parent committee thing for every team that makes goodie bags etc., you could join that and get to know the other parents better! Good luck:)

I personally love it when gymnasts cross over because they come in already having body control and flexibility. They also tend to have beautiful lines.

The thing your cp might have to get used to is the fact that, because it is a team sport, when something goes wrong, people are quick to blame. I've seen this from little girls to college and they'll calm down eventually, but it can be heartbreaking at first.

I think gymnasts also have to get used to facials (i.e. working the crowd) because I know some that find those really silly. Gymnastics straddle jumps also look different.

I was a gymnast who came across to cheer & love it sooo much more! Yes we have different Straddle jumps but you soon learn the new techniques. I had awhile in Sports Acro in between as well so found it even easier to cross over. I think gymnasts have to get used to tumbling in shoes though!!

Back