All-Star Gyms Turning Kids Away

• Thread starter Deleted member 11300
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are very few programs capable of turning away an athlete. There are too many levels and divisions. As for alternates that's a high school thing. If a small all star gym turned away a kid or made them an alternate that gym would be gone within 2 yrs! As for stronger teams, all stars are far more advanced. People think you need school cheer for college, that's wrong. Check out NCA, Cheersport, Jamfest, college coaches are there. Now talking about C A cutting boys, I don't know you would have to ask them, but if it were all level 5 boys then I could see it, there are limits to guys on teams. Apples and Oranges! School cheer nationals have a different scoring system and its too opinionated! That's for another forum.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think this is an interesting topic. From what I learned so far - cheer is rare that most do not get turned away and the sport can handle a variety of skill levels for ALL ages. Which is why I think this industry takes it so personally when there are decisions about changing gyms.

Unlike other competive sports (sofball, volleyball) - at the older levels there are absolutely cuts and it is not unheard of to tryout at 3 - 4 places - because you may not even know which clubs you make. And just because you were at a club the prior season(s) - does not mean you will make it the current season. I know one VB club - which reserves their oldest divisions for only those athletes they believe are college worthy.

There are gyms that are beginning to require level 1 athletes to be able to perform a back walkover and front walkover before placing them on the team.

I am not a huge fan of these new prep divisions (though I see how they have helped gym owners still secure a portion of money they would have lost due to commitment issues, other sports involvement, level of dedication, etc), but I see more and more teams requiring specific skills, and putting kids on the prep teams if they do not have said skills...including level 1 skills!

IMO, there are so many divisions that the competition gets spread out more and more...what ever happened to really being the best of the best?

We are a smaller gym that hasn't been able to offer level 1 teams in the past due to low numbers of "brand new" athletes without previous experience or tumbling skills. We are going to try a half-year team in the prep division which will be a junior/sr level 1 team to allow our gym to grow in that area of skill-set.

I guess that I'm in the minority when I say I think it's sad that kids with no skill are getting turned away from a level 1 team. What happened to building the skill? Are coaches not wanting to spend the time with kids anymore to develop these skills and still be competitive?
Not in the minority at all.

I've cheered for 2 small gyms and 1 large gym. None of them have ever turned away any kids. But here's what I noticed: the small gyms tend to have to stick kids on a team (say, a girl with no tumbling on a level 3 team) due to their age. The large gyms will usually have enough people to place kids on a team based on their age and level

Regardless of the size of the gym, if they have more kids try out than they have space/staff/time for kids should be cut or wait listed. I wouldn't want our gym to add another two teams because they had so many kids try out unless they had the staff and facilities to support that growth. Otherwise, none of the teams will get the time and attention they need.

I've cheered for 2 small gyms and 1 large gym. None of them have ever turned away any kids. But here's what I noticed: the small gyms tend to have to stick kids on a team (say, a girl with no tumbling on a level 3 team) due to their age.
See I don't have a problem with this because what if this girl turns out to be an amazing backspot, jumper etc. Sometimes the girl with no tumbling can be a bigger asset than the girl who throws an iffy back tuck or BHS.

I guess that I'm in the minority when I say I think it's sad that kids with no skill are getting turned away from a level 1 team. What happened to building the skill? Are coaches not wanting to spend the time with kids anymore to develop these skills and still be competitive?

It's not that coaches don't want to teach them, it's that you can't be competitive with brand new kids. Mini 1 is BRUTAL. You can't go to a competition in mini 1 with new cheerleaders and even place in the top half, which is usually top 5 since there are sooo many teams. It's rough.
I would rather allow that kid to begin and get out there and lose a few times, but it's not always a fun process. But hey, you have to start somewhere and if someday they want to be on a higher level, you have to build a good foundation...

to me turning away kids does not seem like a very smart business move. Now obviously I'm not a business owner so i really don't know, but wouldnt turning kids away decrease the amount that come back? I would guess that the parent of those turned away because they werent "good enough" will most likely NOT be bragging about how great your gym is. Also, if you're turning kids away you seem to be basically relying on kids with great skills to walk through your door, instead of taking the time to build them. everyone has to start somewhere, and im finding it really sad that some are not being given that chance!

I know I'm a newbie and my opinion probably won't be heard... But I think if the athlete shows dedication and the parent is willing to pay, then they deserve to be on a team. Strict regulations of "you must have this or that tumbling to qualify for level ..." seem kind of unrealistic. Skills can be earned throughout the season, and if an athlete struggles with tumbling, they might turn out to be an awesome base/backspot.

And regarding new athletes... my gyms junior 1 had 15 kids completely new to cheer, learned their level 1 skills throughout the summer, and ended up being one of the most successful teams in the gym.

Regardless of the size of the gym, if they have more kids try out than they have space/staff/time for kids should be cut or wait listed. I wouldn't want our gym to add another two teams because they had so many kids try out unless they had the staff and facilities to support that growth. Otherwise, none of the teams will get the time and attention they need.
this is absolutely the danger of no upper limit.

I know I'm a newbie and my opinion probably won't be heard... But I think if the athlete shows dedication and the parent is willing to pay, then they deserve to be on a team. Strict regulations of "you must have this or that tumbling to qualify for level ..." seem kind of unrealistic. Skills can be earned throughout the season, and if an athlete struggles with tumbling, they might turn out to be an awesome base/backspot.

And regarding new athletes... my gyms junior 1 had 15 kids completely new to cheer, learned their level 1 skills throughout the summer, and ended up being one of the most successful teams in the gym.
You are raising very valid points...and you should absolutely expect to have your opinion heard on this board. Welcome!!!

Back