OT Hair Dye Dilemma

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jun 27, 2010
I will provide you with a quick back story and then cross my fingers that someone will be able to assist me/has done something along the same lines.

I was born with blonde hair, the color that turns white when exposed to mass amounts of sunlight. During my high school years it was super blonde too. Well this past summer I had this GREAT idea to have red highlights (streaks are more like it) but into my hair and by red I mean like obnoxious red. I used to put pink in it, not a problem, could dye over it, problem solved. Once I was sick of these red highlights I went to a hairdresser and was like boom, make me blonde again. They tried and this red could not be dyed over, basically it turned peachy/orange/red. So they told me we can bleach it again but your hair might fall out or you can go dark... as in dark, dark brown. Obviously I chose the latter. But now I want my blonde back, I have loved being brunette but miss my hair. I've asked different hairdressers the best course of action and have gotten an array of responses. I was hoping someone on here has been in this boat and can give me some guidance. PLEASE, I beg of you.

For those who don't want to read the whole post, what is the best course of action to return to blonde from dyed brown hair with red highlights covered by such dye?

I would just go through the process of having the color stripped/gradually lightened by a VERY good colorist. I don't think your hair will fall out if you bleach it at this point. You may have some damage, but just do a heavy-duty conditioning treatment and get a trim.
I had to strip green out of blonde hair, so, yes, I've been through this.

I agree with Mamarazzi in regards on how to handle it. It's the red that is the problem; until it finally grows out, it will always show through whatever color you dye over it eventually.
And we have had to take the green out of blonde hair as well (thank you camp friend with copper pipes in her swimming pool :confused:).

Good luck!!! As a blonde with a Keratin treatment that turned my hair orange/rust/copper in places. (Attempted myself this time) In the parent room, just last night one mom commented, wow, your hair is starting to look normal again. Bleaching through the red is the only way I was able to get through any of the orange. Forget toners. Luckily I had a ton of hair, managed to keep most of the length but I did not have bangs. I have very layered bangs now. Hair dyes, orange comes through. Did blue toner, blue violet toner. Also, using the purple shampoo helps a little fight brassy tones. Probably bleach. I think I'm done attempting anything myself for a while. My nonCP has naturally medium brown colored hair and she uses the developer and bleach packets from Sally's with no problem.

My daughter used a Sharpie to put a streak in her blonde hair and we could still see faint traces of it after we had the color lifted out and put back in by a professional. We all have good intentions on this thread but, it also, depends on how fine or coarse your hair is as to how long it can take the lifting process. If a strand of your hair is really, really fine, a good color expert knows how long she can lift that color before your hair will burn. If they can't totally lift all the color out, perhaps they can lift it enough to take it to a medium to dark blonde. Good luck!

Gradual is the key like everyone else said. And a GOOD colorist. I once went to a self proclaimed color expert and she was terrible. A good colorist is sometimes hard to come by.

Side note...I am jealous you got red to stay in blonde hair! I always get some reddish low lights...and it lasts a month at the most.

Side note...I am jealous you got red to stay in blonde hair! I always get some reddish low lights...and it lasts a month at the most.

You can have the red...... it haunts me. It was like this new fancy color stuff and it was basically like fake red so that could be why. Here is a not so flattering picture, taken on yes... a disposable camera but it's the best I have of the red.
hair2_zps8cf6bebe-1_zps135da512.jpg

I've dyed my hair red a few times...I love it, but (with the exception of one time) I've never been able to get it to stay...I actually had a harder time getting my hair back to blonde from brown a few years ago...I finally got it somewhat blonde-ish...and just let it go back naturally...I did use this stuff I found that's a like "highlighter" spray that you put in and blow dry your hair (or go out in the sun if it's warm weather), and it lightens your hair...that actually helped me a lot get it back to blonde...It's called sun in...I found it at like giant eagle or something.

I've dyed my hair red a few times...I love it, but (with the exception of one time) I've never been able to get it to stay...I actually had a harder time getting my hair back to blonde from brown a few years ago...I finally got it somewhat blonde-ish...and just let it go back naturally...I did use this stuff I found that's a like "highlighter" spray that you put in and blow dry your hair (or go out in the sun if it's warm weather), and it lightens your hair...that actually helped me a lot get it back to blonde...It's called sun in...I found it at like giant eagle or something.
I had to chuckle as this brought back memories of my high school days, a very long time ago! We all used Sun In to help lighten our hair. Didn't know it was still available! This just made my day!!

I dyed my hair brown last year (being blonde) and it faded after a while to red and then I let it grow out and I just got trims and re-dyed my hair blonde. I have red streaks now that fade every 6-8 weeks.

It will cost you but a good reputable colorist can get you back to blonde. Going blonde gradually is one of the better ways to keep the hair integrity, many colorists will do it by highlighting heavily and allowing it to blend in with your natural roots. Definitely deep condition prior to your color, weekly is ok as well as after. Ask people for recommendations or search a colorist on the Board of Certified Haircolorists. Good Luck!!

We decided to go a slower route and do blonde highlights monthly and keep adding more to keep it blended until there's enough blonde to go back to all blonde. Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Back