High School hair rules in nj

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 20, 2010
my coach said that is illegal to wear our hair half up half down is nj. Every other team i see does it so im thinking that its not illegal, she just wants it all up. I would love to wear it half up next season. can anyone verify the rule?

for my highschool team, we wanted to wear our hair half up half down but they changed the coach texted us the day of the comp. and said we have to wear it all up. soo maybe it is, i dont know.

I never knew it was illegal in MD my girls always have their hair half up half down and never got any deductions or anything!

It is defenitely illegal....Reasons for the "hair rule" while stunting, loose hair can get caught and you can really get hurt. sort of like having loose shoe laces and someone steps on them.....samething with hair....you yourself can put your hands on it in a BHS, or a flyer going to grap her bases shoulders and the bases hair gets caught.....there are so many freaky accidents that can happen when your hair is loose....

I never knew it was illegal in MD my girls always have their hair half up half down and never got any deductions or anything!
Maybe it's a county rule. I know my high school couldn't have their hair in straight ponytails because it couldn't touch their shoulders.

I think I remember my coach once saying it was illegal for high school (well in WI) when we wanted to wear it to a comp like that. Maybe coaches just say this because they don't want to deal with fighting with us over it. But I see why they don't want us to wear our hair half up half down. We did one time for the comp that we hosted and people were always touching it during the routine without thinking about it. Thats why I like it all the way up, you don't have to worry about it:)

Iowa clarified their rules.
Iowa Cheerleading Coaches’ Association
Pulling hair away from the face situations:
1. Hair in a ponytail and bangs (which would have been in the eyes) secured away from
the face – legal
2. Hair in a high ponytail that is long and goes down the back – legal
3. Hair in pigtails or side ponytail that does NOT touch the shoulders – legal
4. Hair in a low back ponytail at the base of the nape of the neck – legal
5. Short hair with hair that could be in face secured away – legal
6. Hair in a side ponytail that goes onto or touches the shoulders – illegal
7. Hair in pigtails that touches the shoulders – illegal

Bangs pulled across forehead, wispies, & chunks of hair beside face:
1. The above - out of eyes and if necessary soundly secured away from the face – legal
2. Hair that falls into the face while cheering, stunting, or tumbling – illegal
3. How do you know if it is legal?
If you have to:
A. Move your head to move it away from your face – illegal
B. Use your hand to move it away from your face – illegal
C. Tuck it behind your ears – illegal
NOTE: "Bumpits" are illegal.

Either way....Your coach gave your a direction, it would be best if you follow it. I understand you want to where your hair half up, but arguing with your coach of it really isn't appropriate. You coach gives directions and you, as an athlete, follow those directions.

Back