Headaches While Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you wear glasses? I get the most awful headaches when I don't wear my glasses, and obvi you don't tumble with them on lol

I have hyper extended knees and I guess if you lock them for too long it can give you headaches and make you light headed. When I prep for my tumbling/begin a routine I always have everything locked out and that was an issue for me.

These are just the reasons I get/got headaches from cheer lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you lock your hyper-extended knees for landing you can also tear your ACL so be careful!! That's how @LeahofthePack got injured....but in her dense she did the most beautiful layout on the wood floor.

If you lock your hyper-extended knees for landing you can also tear your ACL so be careful!! That's how @LeahofthePack got injured....but in her dense she did the most beautiful layout on the wood floor.
Yeah I tore my MCL and part of my meniscus came loose my senior year lol bad knees aren't fun :(

Yeah I tore my MCL and part of my meniscus came loose my senior year lol bad knees aren't fun :(

Ouch [emoji51][emoji51]

The good news is that if it is TMJ (which might be very possible - now that it was mentioned to you, have you observed yourself clenching your jaw/grinding your teeth before/during/after tumbling?) I can be easily resolved with anti-inflammatories and a bite plate/retainter to keep you from doing it. I was diagnosed with TMJ by an ENT in my early 20s - I thought I had double ear infections, because that was where I was feeling the pain. I would suggest you see an ENT if this is what is suspected.
Thank you! Thats good to hear, as one other person I asked told me it wasnt fixable which had me worried :)

I have no idea if it's related to yours but cp14 has always gotten headaches when she tumbles. But her issue is that she holds her breath when she tumbles and doesn't breathe. Does the same thing in jumps, so if they're working either of those hard, the headache will come. At the very least I try to get her to say hit, hit, hit, hit, pull in jumps because if you're talking you're breathing...but she won't.

And I'm not so sympathetic.

Mom I have a headache.

Try breathing, I hear that's helpful.

#momoftheyear

I've never thought of that actually. The only problem is, if I am holding my breath its only ever for single skills, like a front walkover, as I dont have anything else. So unless holding me breath for a couple of seconds would give me a headache, I cant see if being that, but I'll give it a try! Thank you

Do you wear glasses? I get the most awful headaches when I don't wear my glasses, and obvi you don't tumble with them on lol

I have hyper extended knees and I guess if you lock them for too long it can give you headaches and make you light headed. When I prep for my tumbling/begin a routine I always have everything locked out and that was an issue for me.

These are just the reasons I get/got headaches from cheer lol

No I dont wear glasses, and I've been told I have great vision the last time I went to the optometrist, but I think I'm due for another checkup soon, maybe they'll find an issue with my eyes :p
Really??? Hyper extended knees give you headaches? Wow I never knew that! I have noticed a couple of times that my knees do look like they lock a lot further back than most people, maybe I have hyper extended knees too? Thank you :))

Thanks everyone for your help! I am going to a doctor, and I'll do that soon, but thank you for all the suggestions! I've got some things to do in the meantime (like breath ;))

Back