All-Star Help! I've Lost My Full

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 23, 2014
I'm on a senior level 5 team and my body is so used to pulling for a double that I cannot do a full anymore. I feel like I know where I am more in a double than I am in a full. I have no clue where I am. My muscle memory just cracks Everytime I pull for a full and I either end up doing a double or opening up and doing a half instead. A full is a really important skill for me too have because I am a senior this year and I will be trying out for college cheer next month and if I can't even pull a full I am pretty sure there is no way that I will be put on the team that I want to make. If there's anything anyone can help me with about this please feel free to comment! Thanks!

Do you automatically double on dead floor? It's a lot different. We had a girl who automatically 1 1/2 ed because that's she was working doubles when she quit gymnastics. I'm not sure how she fixed it though.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Have you tried breaking the skill down? So, start with a layout, then a half, full, etc. This might help control your power and bring back the muscle memory. You could also try doing some tumble track drills? I saw one for learning to full where you start with a large block and round-off over it, then adding a half turn, until you eventually full. (That way you can get the technique down without over-rotating and doubling.) I'll try to find it...
Don't worry, you're going to get it back and do amazing at tryouts!

I feel like this is actually pretty common for people with doubles, because I know of at least three people who couldn't stop doubling. Two somehow were able to full again, after lots of drills and almost being retaught how to full. With some hard work and probably a lot of frustration, I think you'll be able to remaster a skill that your body can do.

Side note, I definitely follow you on twitter hahah

This happened to me two years ago. The most important thing in the process of getting your full back is to stay positive and believe that you can do it. I started with privates and my coach and I went all the way back to basics. We did layouts and twisting drills on the tumble track and didn't double if I could help it. I was able to get my half but not my full. I finally got it back, but my way was a little unorthodox. Do you have a standing full off the tumble track into a pit? I did, so what I did was start learning cartwheel fulls. I started with cartwheel, pause, standing full. As I grew more comfortable with it, I was able to connect the skills. Later when I had the cartwheel full solid, I began to make my cartwheel into a round off and make it faster, until I was doing round off fulls again like normal (this was all on tumble track). Eventually I was doing ROBHS fulls no problem. This whole process I made sure I was using proper technique and I tried to avoid doing doubles if I could. I eventually started doubles again a lot later, when I was sure of my full again and wasn't as worried about losing it. Good luck!

I didn't really have that problem, but for me it became "harder" for me to full than double. As in, I actually had to concentrate to do a full, where doubling just seemed easier/more natural. I found that pulling a different way was my solution. For example: for doubles I would set, and pull my hands to my right shoulder (I spin right), but for fulls I would set and drop my hands straight down to my right hip. It caused me to slow/delay my spin a little more. It felt weird the first few times, but now it seems natural (and I like to think it looks cleaner too haha). Hope this helps, if not I'm sure you'll find a way to get it back.

I wish I had this problem :D
I wouldn't if I were you....not being able to full destroyed all my tumbling and technique. Being only able to double reduced my set and made my tumbling awful for a while. It sounds desirable, but trust me, it sucks.

I wouldn't if I were you....not being able to full destroyed all my tumbling and technique. Being only able to double reduced my set and made my tumbling awful for a while. It sounds desirable, but trust me, it sucks.

I know, I'm sure it's terrible. I was just joking around cause I didn't even have a full lol, so go you guys!

Back