OT Help With Migraines

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yes, mine are heredity. I have found that the combination of the lights, looking up, loud music, and the intensity of the practice triggers mine. I have been on a bunch of medications, gotten CT scan and everything but nothing seems to work. The best thing that I have found is to just take the migraine medication when you start feeling one and try and sleep it off. With an ice pack.

It may sound odd, but a chiropractor may help. My two youngest who are 8 and 9 have been going to a chiro for about 2 years. It started with my son and his "motion tics" but my CP started treatments for her back as well and says her back feels better. I have vertigo which my ENT feels is underlying migrane issues and I have an RX for Topiramate that I have to take once a day. Another thing, have you had an ear exam by an audiologist? Not just what ped ped does but a more in depth test so see if there is anything wrong with her hearing? I also have hearing loss in one of my ears since birth and have had headaches my entire life that we think might be related as well. I use to have to go home form school because of headaches starting in 4th grade or so, maybe even before then.

Definitely push for the MRI. I suffered from migraines all of my life and went to a ton of docs and even a neurologist who just told me they were tension headaches. I ended up seeing a chiropractor 3 times a week but they weren't getting better so he sent me for an MRI. that MRI report stated that i might have a Chiari Malformation and i should get a brain MRI. I got the brain MRI and it was confirmed that I had Chiari Malformation. Chairi is a rare brain disorder where your brain herniates through the base of your skull into your neck area. It is not life threatening but very uncomfortable. I had brain surgery 3 years ago to try to "free up" space in the base of my skull so the base of my brain wasn't being squeezed so much and also currently take Celebrex daily to help with the neck pain. If your daughter's headaches start in the back of her head this could be the cause. Daily i feel like someone has hit me in the back of the head with a baseball bat. I am used to it now, lol, it's just kind of normal for me. But i wished i had pushed the docs, neurologists, etc. who just kept telling me they were tension headaches. I am thankful my chiropractor thought to get the MRI and I owe it all to him!

My CP is 7 and just started complaining about headaches and she said they were in the back of her head. I tried not to freak out (because Chiari can be hereditary) but they became so frequent that i ended up taking her to the DR and told them i wanted a MRI because of my history. we did get the MRI and thankfully she doesn't have Chiari but you have to be the advocate for your child. I know sometimes as parents we don't want to over react, but it seems like you have been asking why she is getting these headaches and nothing is working. It may be time to push.

Good luck!

I'm also going to suggest a chiropractor. I used to get migraines a lot in college, and I'd get right over to one. Made a huge difference in my recovery time....the pain, vomiting, etc, eased up almost immediately.

My oldest daughter struggles with sever migraines. It effects her vision, she usually throws up, and ends up crying her self to sleep. We have been to the Doctors, tried different medicines, tried changing her diet (avoiding msg, etc.), and so far nothing has helped. I have noticed she tends to get them really bad / seems to be a trigger when she side bases. She loves cheer & isn't about to give it up. She is definitely needed as a side baser. Switching to a flyer or back spot is not an option or appropriate for her. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent them? P.S. She does get them even when it is her off days. So, quiting cheer would not solve the problem. I have just noticed, she is almost guaranteed to get a severe one when she spends the majority of the time side basing during a practice. She says they start in her neck and move to the middle of her forehead very quickly.
I used to have these and I still get them from time to time. I have all of the same symptoms as her and then sometimes I can't even walk or speak. I went to doc after doc and they told me nothing was wrong. It eventually turned out to be a pinched nerve in my neck from how I slept. I had to see a chiropractor 2x a week and then I would put a heating pad on it for 20 mins before bed and then sometimes I would put a cold pack on it for 10mins. Also one thing that helps me when I get them is those eye masks that you can put in the fridge and then you strap them around your face. The coolness helps release the pressure for me anyways. I hope this helps

Thanks for all of the advice & suggestions. I really appreciate it!

this is going to sound crazy, but i get migraines really bad to, like to the point of throwing up, and i literally tried every kind of migraine made medicine out there, and they NEVER helped, well one day i was in so much pain i went into the medicine cabinbet and we were out of headache medicine so i took some of my little sisters motrin, yeah simple motrin. and my migraine actually went away, ive found out that usually eases up my pain more than ANY other migraine medicine ive ever been prescribed.

this is going to sound crazy, but i get migraines really bad to, like to the point of throwing up, and i literally tried every kind of migraine made medicine out there, and they NEVER helped, well one day i was in so much pain i went into the medicine cabinbet and we were out of headache medicine so i took some of my little sisters motrin, yeah simple motrin. and my migraine actually went away, ive found out that usually eases up my pain more than ANY other migraine medicine ive ever been prescribed.

She use to take the chewable children's motrin. It didn't help much, but sometimes helped a little. About 6 months ago we were out. I went to the store & everyone was out of it. I asked the pharmacist about it. He said they stopped making the children's chewable motrin. They said it was too strong.

She use to take the chewable children's motrin. It didn't help much, but sometimes helped a little. About 6 months ago we were out. I went to the store & everyone was out of it. I asked the pharmacist about it. He said they stopped making the children's chewable motrin. They said it was too strong.

oh wow! i havent heard that! shes nine right? has she tried childrens advil? sometimes crazily enough its the simple stuff that helps the most with pain!

I used to have these and I still get them from time to time. I have all of the same symptoms as her and then sometimes I can't even walk or speak. I went to doc after doc and they told me nothing was wrong. It eventually turned out to be a pinched nerve in my neck from how I slept. I had to see a chiropractor 2x a week and then I would put a heating pad on it for 20 mins before bed and then sometimes I would put a cold pack on it for 10mins. Also one thing that helps me when I get them is those eye masks that you can put in the fridge and then you strap them around your face. The coolness helps release the pressure for me anyways. I hope this helps

Going off of this post, make sure your daughter has a really good pillow that properly supports her neck. Makes a huge difference. Physical therapist had me bring in my pillow and the lack of support it provided contributed to a lot of my neck problems as detailed by CoachC. I do all the heat and ice stuff also. I buy those funny looking temperpedic pillows with the curved edges that support your neck in the right position to relax your neck as you sleep. It puts your neck in a neutral position. I have found them for a variety of prices, but you have to make sure you get one small enough for her little neck. Brookstone would be an easy place to try one out, but Bed Bath and Beyond can be cheaper with 20% off coupon. I advise you to try one with a pillow case from a store with a return policy first to make sure it will work for her because they are pricey.

http://www.brookstone.com/tempurpedic-neck-pillows.html?his=2~46337~2~root_category@kwd~pillow&bkiid=searchResults|C4CategoryProdList1FDT|6635777

This is probably pretty obvious, but have you had her vision checked? I'd copy and paste everything you have typed in this thread and make her doctor read it to make sure he/she really understands what your little one is going through.:(

It may be because of a personal bias, but I strongly suggest not doing neck adjustments.

Going off of this post, make sure your daughter has a really good pillow that properly supports her neck. Makes a huge difference. Physical therapist had me bring in my pillow and the lack of support it provided contributed to a lot of my neck problems as detailed by CoachC. I do all the heat and ice stuff also. I buy those funny looking temperpedic pillows with the curved edges that support your neck in the right position to relax your neck as you sleep. It puts your neck in a neutral position. I have found them for a variety of prices, but you have to make sure you get one small enough for her little neck. Brookstone would be an easy place to try one out, but Bed Bath and Beyond can be cheaper with 20% off coupon. I advise you to try one with a pillow case from a store with a return policy first to make sure it will work for her because they are pricey.

http://www.brookstone.com/tempurpedic-neck-pillows.html?his=2~46337~2~root_category@kwd~pillow&bkiid=searchResults|C4CategoryProdList1FDT|6635777

This is probably pretty obvious, but have you had her vision checked? I'd copy and paste everything you have typed in this thread and make her doctor read it to make sure he/she really understands what your little one is going through.:(

The pillow is a great idea. I will definitely try that. Yes, they have checked her vision and hearing. They also checked her for sinus problems. They all checked out fine.

I know a lady that went in for a neck adjustment and died but it is rare. I get my back adjusted but not my neck- I'm just paranoid though. When you go in for any procedure they tell you of all the risk even if the chances are low. When I got an injection in my back they warned of death- but I'm all good now

Definitely push for the MRI. I suffered from migraines all of my life and went to a ton of docs and even a neurologist who just told me they were tension headaches. I ended up seeing a chiropractor 3 times a week but they weren't getting better so he sent me for an MRI. that MRI report stated that i might have a Chiari Malformation and i should get a brain MRI. I got the brain MRI and it was confirmed that I had Chiari Malformation. Chairi is a rare brain disorder where your brain herniates through the base of your skull into your neck area. It is not life threatening but very uncomfortable. I had brain surgery 3 years ago to try to "free up" space in the base of my skull so the base of my brain wasn't being squeezed so much and also currently take Celebrex daily to help with the neck pain. If your daughter's headaches start in the back of her head this could be the cause. Daily i feel like someone has hit me in the back of the head with a baseball bat. I am used to it now, lol, it's just kind of normal for me. But i wished i had pushed the docs, neurologists, etc. who just kept telling me they were tension headaches. I am thankful my chiropractor thought to get the MRI and I owe it all to him!

My CP is 7 and just started complaining about headaches and she said they were in the back of her head. I tried not to freak out (because Chiari can be hereditary) but they became so frequent that i ended up taking her to the DR and told them i wanted a MRI because of my history. we did get the MRI and thankfully she doesn't have Chiari but you have to be the advocate for your child. I know sometimes as parents we don't want to over react, but it seems like you have been asking why she is getting these headaches and nothing is working. It may be time to push.

Good luck!

I have read through this entire thread, thinking "I wonder if she has Chiari." I too have a Chiari Malformation and have struggled for YEARS, since childhood with horrible headaches. The neck issue screams Chiari to me. I have been through three different neurologists before I finally got a diagnosis. Three doctors looked at the same MRI before my current doc found it.
I would definately suggest demanding she have a MRI and make sure the doc that reads it specifically looks for Chiari, it is not common, so most neuros miss it. Good Luck and I hope she finds some relief. :hugs: to your CP.

Back