All-Star Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 14, 2010
Hello. As some of you know, I was on a level 3 team for pretty much all of my cheer career. Watching a certain team on the Worlds VOD, I decided right then that I wanted to super senior on that team to live out my dream of being on a level 5 team and attending Worlds. I stayed local for college, found a way to pay for the year, and commuted to practice to make this all happen. Everything has been pretty good all season. I've progressed more than I ever thought possible. I had just gotten my full and standing tuck a few weeks before tryouts; soon after came my two to full, jumps to tuck, and recently, I have been perfecting my whip through to full.

You may wonder where I'm going with this, but it's because I am FRUSTRATED. I wouldn't normally reach out, but I am sick of leaving practice knowing that I've let my team, my coach, and myself down. It started a week or two ago, I forgot what I was doing mid-whip and flew back onto my tailbone. Since then, I have been having serious issues with blocking. There was a practice where I was falling in round-offs. ROUND-OFFS. I honestly did not know that was possible. There were times I couldn't do a standing tuck on the Tumbl Trak, even though I was doing jumps to tucks on the floor the previous practice. I don't understand what is going on with me. I have never had a mental block that kept me from doing running tumbling that I have done a million times.

As I'm writing this thread, there is a countdown above this box that is making my heart race. I am not going to have made it this far this season and ruin it less than a month before the most important competition. How do I get back to where I am meant to be? There are no words to match how frustrating it is watching myself "forget" how to tumble passes I obviously know how to do. It seems every practice it's getting worse, which is why I'm asking for help. Yes, I have read countless threads about mental blocks and Debbie Love's website, but I am reaching out to all of you as well with the hope at least one of the many tips will make a difference.

Unfortunately I have no advice for you,but felt compelled to reach out. As I was reading what you've accomplished this you I was so impressed. My heart sank for you when I read you got into a block. But even sadder was reading you say that you feel you've let your team and coaches down. No you haven't. Everyone has a block at some point in their career. You acquired multiple skills in a short time at an advanced age. It's a recipe for (temporary) disaster, but also an amazing accomplishment. Take a deep breath and feel proud, not discouraged.

I'll pass the baton to the next person because that's all I have....Hang in there!!!

I know this is going to sound bad but I have done the same thing when I was still cheering. But once you do it again you wont fall and you will gain confidence back. You have to just do it again. I had a mental block for 2 years and once I did the skill again I kept gaining new skills. You have to get over your fear and just do it. get a spot and have someone there holding you so you know you wont fall and do it again but you have to go through with it. your not letting anyone down its hard to get over a mental block but you can do it

Hello. As some of you know, I was on a level 3 team for pretty much all of my cheer career. Watching a certain team on the Worlds VOD, I decided right then that I wanted to super senior on that team to live out my dream of being on a level 5 team and attending Worlds. I stayed local for college, found a way to pay for the year, and commuted to practice to make this all happen. Everything has been pretty good all season. I've progressed more than I ever thought possible. I had just gotten my full and standing tuck a few weeks before tryouts; soon after came my two to full, jumps to tuck, and recently, I have been perfecting my whip through to full.

You may wonder where I'm going with this, but it's because I am FRUSTRATED. I wouldn't normally reach out, but I am sick of leaving practice knowing that I've let my team, my coach, and myself down. It started a week or two ago, I forgot what I was doing mid-whip and flew back onto my tailbone. Since then, I have been having serious issues with blocking. There was a practice where I was falling in round-offs. ROUND-OFFS. I honestly did not know that was possible. There were times I couldn't do a standing tuck on the Tumbl Trak, even though I was doing jumps to tucks on the floor the previous practice. I don't understand what is going on with me. I have never had a mental block that kept me from doing running tumbling that I have done a million times.

As I'm writing this thread, there is a countdown above this box that is making my heart race. I am not going to have made it this far this season and ruin it less than a month before the most important competition. How do I get back to where I am meant to be? There are no words to match how frustrating it is watching myself "forget" how to tumble passes I obviously know how to do. It seems every practice it's getting worse, which is why I'm asking for help. Yes, I have read countless threads about mental blocks and Debbie Love's website, but I am reaching out to all of you as well with the hope at least one of the many tips will make a difference.

I don't know you, but I know your program (both old and new), and I felt like I should reply. I know that the relationships between a few of these programs hasn't been the best, but I truly want everyone to succeed, hit routines, and be the best athletes they can be. You will get this back. Anyways, tumbling blocks are weird, frustrating, and unfortunately having a timeframe like worlds makes it all that much more hard to work through. I have had this problem with a few athletes who found that working with the Debbie Love stuff has genuinely helped. You have to be diligent about it and follow it verbatim. The other thing that's helped is being in the gym when it's empty. I have an athlete who goes back and forth with mental blocks who would come in with one other athlete and just work from after school until our gymnastics classes start. Not having the pressure of your team and coaches standing and worse, waiting, for you to go makes all the difference in the world. Please be patient with yourself, try not to overthink the pressure from your team, and just breathe. You have it.

I did the same thing with a a tuck during a round off back hand tuck. I was too afraid to throw back hand tucks, round off tucks ans rbhs tucks for like three years (yikes). I didn't get over it until I went to Hear and started taking a tumbling class with Courtney hahha. She's awesome.

Anyways, don't worry about the clock ticking down the time to worlds. All it is going to do is stress you out even more. Take it slow, don't rush yourself! Go to the gym early before practice and just work on your skills so you can get comfortable with them again. If that means working on round offs for an hour then that's fine. Once you feel confident in that skill then move on.

Pretty much for me my mental block was all about confidence. I didn't think I could do it so I couldn't. Shake all the bad thoughts out of your mind before you tumble (some times I literally shake my head...just to be sure they're gone hahah). Once you start to doubt yourself you'll stop throwing it. Do whatever it is you need to get your confidence back. It's gonna be terrifying to throw that whip thru to full again but trust me once you do it and land it, it will be worth it. I'll be rooting for you at Worlds!....from my computer that is :) Good luck, you can do it!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

The pressure of Worlds is going to be the worst part. Go back to you basic drills and do them again and again and again. Blocks are tough and pressure just makes them worse. Pull your tumbling out of the routine for Worlds. I know its not what you want but it will take the pressure to pull it off of you. With that pressure gone, go back to working your drills and slowly try tumbling again with god spot. You might surprise yourself and get it back quick enough to put it back in this year.

And please know you are not letting your teammates and coaches down. They have all been in the same situation before too and they know how you feel. :)

Back