All-Star High School Cheer A Sport In The State Of Kentucky?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In most states, when an activity becomes a state recognized sport they are only allowed to compete at state sanctioned events. This is why you will never see a squad from VA at NCA/UCA. They can only compete at VHSL sanctioned events. Failure to do so can result in the cut of the program

Its a sport in our county, can't compete outta state which means nothing in regards to UCA BUT being a sport (in our county) doesn't allow you to compete on Sundays, so UCA is out. I am DEFINITELY interested to see what will happen with Kentucky, is Tennessee next!?

In most states, when an activity becomes a state recognized sport they are only allowed to compete at state sanctioned events. This is why you will never see a squad from VA at NCA/UCA. They can only compete at VHSL sanctioned events. Failure to do so can result in the cut of the program

So as cheerleading gets recognized more as a sport in more states it means less participation in NCA/UCA high school nationals. You would have to join an all-star gym to travel and compete more 'year' round. So maybe this is really good for all-star cheer?

Its a sport in our county, can't compete outta state which means nothing in regards to UCA BUT being a sport (in our county) doesn't allow you to compete on Sundays, so UCA is out. I am DEFINITELY interested to see what will happen with Kentucky, is Tennessee next!?

If they did this in Texas, Tennessee, and Kentucky that would pretty much eliminate all the top high school teams, right?

It is a state in Georgia and I think it helps all-star. They are done by November and free to do allstars then.

If they did this in Texas, Tennessee, and Kentucky that would pretty much eliminate all the top high school teams, right?

It is a state in Georgia and I think it helps all-star. They are done by November and free to do allstars then.
I think you gotta throw Alabama in there too but yes. It doesn't hurt us either!

I think you gotta throw Alabama in there too but yes. It doesn't hurt us either!

Sorry about that to Bama. I have no idea who is good in high school.

So as cheerleading gets recognized more as a sport in more states it means less participation in NCA/UCA high school nationals. You would have to join an all-star gym to travel and compete more 'year' round. So maybe this is really good for all-star cheer?
In VA, this is exactly what happens. I would say that 90% of HS cheerleaders also compete Allstar. Not to mention the fact that local gyms do most high school team's choreography.

In VA, this is exactly what happens. I would say that 90% of HS cheerleaders also compete Allstar. Not to mention the fact that local gyms do most high school team's choreography.

I cannot speak for the state but that is how it is in our direct area. Seems as if all-star would benefit from only doing in state competition? Maybe it would be different if other states don't compete in the fall. But our cheerleaders season starts in July or August and is done in November. So time for camp (at your local all-star gym) compete in the early part of the season for your school (which your local all-star gym lay coaches) then you are done by november right when all-star really starts kicking into gear.

Cheerleading is considered a sport in Michigan but our regulations also prohibit cheerleaders on competitive cheer teams to also cheer on "all-star" teams. That is one of the reasons that my CPs gym does not include the word "all-star" in anything.

I maybe reading this article wrong but is it just a few schools who voted yes for this?

I maybe reading this article wrong but is it just a few schools who voted yes for this?

I think they just need 10% for it to be considered a sport. So without large approval it could be considered a sport by some schools, and others not.

Though if the KHSAA figures out they can make money from hosting competitions I think that might change.

I think they just need 10% for it to be considered a sport. So without large approval it could be considered a sport by some schools, and others not.

Though if the KHSAA figures out they can make money from hosting competitions I think that might change.
Our State doesn't consider it a sport just a few counties, hasn't changed in years, there is actually a push locally to reverse it, but I don't see that happening either

Back