All-Star High School Cheer A Sport In The State Of Kentucky?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As for the Kentucky discussion..

It would affect the UCA schools only really (North Laurel, Dunbar, Tates Creek, etc.), as the only school that is truly competitive at NCA is Manual (they have 6 or 7 National titles). If you recall, two years ago NCA started another High School nationals in Louisville, so they have a national competition right in their backyard.

Raises an interesting point though... maybe the UCA schools would switch to NCA nationals if they weren't allowed to compete out of state?

It would affect the UCA schools only really (North Laurel, Dunbar, Tates Creek, etc.), as the only school that is truly competitive at NCA is Manual (they have 6 or 7 National titles). If you recall, two years ago NCA started another High School nationals in Louisville, so they have a national competition right in their backyard.

Raises an interesting point though... maybe the UCA schools would switch to NCA nationals if they weren't allowed to compete out of state?

Wow, talk about a culture shock if they were to switch.

Impressive for a high school.

I think so too, even though high school isn't as "exciting" to watch, I looove to watch videos of this team because those bases don't take a single step during the full ups (well.. the ones that stay up at least) . Their technique in "spinning" stunts is hard to come across these days

I think so too, even though high school isn't as "exciting" to watch, I looove to watch videos of this team because those bases don't take a single step during the full ups (well.. the ones that stay up at least) . Their technique in "spinning" stunts is hard to come across these days

Not to downplay, but I think a good bit of that is because they have a more focussed bit of training. They do about 10x as many full ups as an all-star team. But allstars have to be able to do ALL the pieces. Doesn't diminish what they have accomplished but I understand why they are, in general, so good at them.

I maybe reading this article wrong but is it just a few schools who voted yes for this?

From the article:
Cheerleading is currently a winter sport. It was also the top vote getter, with 173 schools voting yes and 53 voting no – 52 schools did not show a definite answer or did not turn in a response. North Hardin was the only area school to say no on the listed survey results.

When cheer became a high school sport in Michigan it was changed for the worse...cheerleading in michigan is LITERALLY Cheer-leading. their routines are split into 3 rounds, theyre not allowed to use music and they do one long cheer the whole time. it's so boring and sad that it was changed to this :/

My favorite team in all of high school cheer is from Alabama! They're worth a watch

They do the real express ups that UCA taught a while ago. For all of those people that remember the express up, switch up, switch tock debate. This is why i call switch ups, switch ups. Express ups are the walk ins that they do right to the top without the extra bounce.

Cheerleading is considered a sport in Illinois and it has been for 7 years now but back in 2007 and 2008 Carl Sandburg went to NCA Nationals and won, one of the 2 years. So im really not completely sure if it allowed or they somehow got around it.

I actually thought the same thing, but would the teams be able to compete at it since it is not run by the state? Like in GA they can't travel outside of the state but could they compete at Cheersport since it is still in state but not run by the state?

It would be weird to see the UCA schools there but it would also be interesting to see the changes that would be made to the routines they usually put out.

I actually thought the same thing, but would the teams be able to compete at it since it is not run by the state? Like in GA they can't travel outside of the state but could they compete at Cheersport since it is still in state but not run by the state?

It would be weird to see the UCA schools there but it would also be interesting to see the changes that would be made to the routines they usually put out.

Maybe UCA and NCa would start running state by state championships?

kingston said:
Maybe UCA and NCa would start running state by state championships?

I think the state high school associations (IHSA in Illinois) would take issue with that unless part of the earnings went to them or it was somewhat "sanctioned" by the particular state association.

I think the state high school associations (IHSA in Illinois) would take issue with that unless part of the earnings went to them or it was somewhat "sanctioned" by the particular state association.
I agree. I dont think they'd let that happen unless they were part of it somehow.

I agree. I dont think they'd let that happen unless they were part of it somehow.

So what is the eventual outcome of all this? THinking 5 to 10 years down the line. Every state recognizes high school cheer as a sport?

So what is the eventual outcome of all this? THinking 5 to 10 years down the line. Every state recognizes high school cheer as a sport?
I have to imagine some type of compromise would happen. I think it would be great if UCA/NCA worked together with each state. But I just can't see, IHSA at least, being happy about it.

I don't really understand how high school cheerleading rules work... I know there are a lot of stipulations placed on the teams in IL by IHSA, like when they can start practicing, competing, where they can compete, etc. Can a high school choose to just not compete at the IHSA (or whatever it is in your state) sanctioned events at all and just go to other competitions? Ex: You skip all the school competitions and just go to NCA, Jamfest, etc.

In Illinois you're not supposed to compete on a high school team and an all-star team at the same time. Is it like this in the other states where cheer is considered a sport?

Back