All-Star High School Coach Has Problems With Allstar

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Isn't Rocky Point out there on the Island? they are competitive and very good. The won UCA HS Nationals 2 consecutive years 2011 & 2012 in Division II Medium....They are great. Can't wait to see them this year
Yes, they are, and are fantastic! They are not allowed to do all-star though from what I understand - it's school or all-star, not both, because of their level of committment.

I coached HS previously and we had a few girls who did AS as well. Our policy was during HS season, HS practices take priority since it's a shorter season (we end in late November) and allstar is barely kicking up by that time. NO missing weeks of competitions, which is basically every weekend for HS once you hit September. If you had an issue over the summer with something like choreography where you needed to be with AS, we normally didn't have an issue with that. We were lucky and had a great relationship with the local allstar programs and trained at one of the facilities. Plus the other coach and I were both allstars in the past so we were pretty understanding.
Where do you live where you have lots of HS competitions? I wish we had a bunch. we only have regionals, state, and nationals (if we even go, we've only gone once)... so 2-3 comps a season :( in july, october, and january! i wish we had comps each weekend!!!

Where do you live where you have lots of HS competitions? I wish we had a bunch. we only have regionals, state, and nationals (if we even go, we've only gone once)... so 2-3 comps a season :( in july, october, and january! i wish we had comps each weekend!!!
Oh wow! I'm in South Carolina. We have competitions at other high schools almost every weekend from like mid August to mid November. If you want to be eligible for State, you have to compete in more than 2 competitions and less than 8, including qualifiers.

Thanks to everyone for advice and comments. The allstar girls are going to ride the train until they get kicked off. At least they will make it thru football season which is most important to them. However, we now how new issues with this coach and if she's not careful, she's not going to have anyone to kick off. Thanks again

From what I have seen, kids who are able to both and choose to do so do school cheer for the social aspect and all-star for the competitive and skill aspects. If your school team is a truly competitive team, you usually don't feel the need to do all-star as well.

this is EXACTLY how I am at school. I am on the highschool team to be a part of the school events and perform with my friends/teamates, and I do allstars to compete and achieve new skills. I would never do highschool over allstar, but I would be heartbroken ifI had to choose. Get all the parents and email the coach, thats the best you can do.

I don't get why HS coaches are so uptight about girls doing allstar as well.. Wouldn't you think they'd want the talent, extra practice, and tumbling/stunting technique that comes with allstar? If I were a coach I would! My HS didn't compete at all, (it drove me nuts) and after 3 years of fighting my coaches to let me do allstar, I decided to just dump HS. Best decision I've ever made, I think allstar leads to many more future opportunities in cheer if that's the direction you wanna go!

Isn't Rocky Point out there on the Island? they are competitive and very good. The won UCA HS Nationals 2 consecutive years 2011 & 2012 in Division II Medium....They are great. Can't wait to see them this year

Yes! I graduated from there!

Yes, they are, and are fantastic! They are not allowed to do all-star though from what I understand - it's school or all-star, not both, because of their level of committment.

Not true. I cheered at NY Cheer Allstars the entire time I cheered Varsity at Rocky Point. Most girls choose not to cheer allstar because of the long practices at Rocky Point. The coach is amazing & very supportive of girls taking outside tumbling lessons, etc. as long as her team is first priority.

Not true. I cheered at NY Cheer Allstars the entire time I cheered Varsity at Rocky Point. Most girls choose not to cheer allstar because of the long practices at Rocky Point. The coach is amazing & very supportive of girls taking outside tumbling lessons, etc. as long as her team is first priority.
Rocky Point has an amazing team!

What blows my mind for my area is that I know I let my kids miss practices for school cheer all the time. My gym is very flexible. However the high school coaches will not budge at all the week of an all-star competition. Its even been known they will schedule an extra practice over ours.

She doesn't want your practice interfering with hers, but she is more than willing to take advantage of all the skills the girls have as a direct result of your program, right?

I had a coach in HS that was completely unflexible with our allstar schedule. Yet she thought she was a bomb coach because our team had beast stunting and tumbling.
Half of our level 5 team was on the HS squad -_-

I did all star and high school my freshmen year, so I am very familiar with this topic.

I am a varsity cheerleader, and at the beginning of my sophomore year, I quit all stars to just stick with high school for various reasons, one being that my high school team goes to about ten competitions, and are actually quite good. We do level 4 and 5 stunts and pyramids, and we have level 4 and 5 tumbling. We also go to nationals, so I don't mind just doing high school.

We do though have 5 girls who do all star on my high school team, for 2 different programs. One of the girls on my team mom actually owns one of the all star programs, so she usually works it out so her and another one of my teammates don't have to miss much. On the other hand, sometimes all of the all star girls have to miss practice, which pretty much screws us for pyramids and stunts.
I think next year our coach will make the girls choose, which I don't find to bad, because 3 of those 5 girls love high school cheer.

We deal with this often. Our county just implemented a new competition guideline and schedule with HS cheer. They have a schedule that alternates Tue, Wed, Thur every few weeks. It's awful and very hard to adjust to. We speak with our kids before they try-out for high school. We require they give us their competition schedule asap and we communicate that we will bend as long as their high school agrees to bend as well. I tell my kids if their high school won't bend then they need to make a choice. I encourage my kids to do HS if they can handle it, if not I'd rather know in advance. I think that's pretty straight forward.
It just stinks that HS is ganging up on AS in our area and the best HS teams have the best AS kids on them. I just will never understand how they don't see working together is what is best for the kids.

I remember when I was in high school, I had just started all star, and neither high school or all star would "bend" much. My high school was much more competitive than all star (we were "level 5" but nowhere near ready to even try for a bid), but I wanted to do both. I remember during camp my junior year, I had to drive to my gym and practice with my all star team during every lunch break during camp then had to drive back to camp immediately as soon as lunch was over. I tried to show that I was loyal to both programs, but all star insisted that since it was a "worlds team" it should come first. I ended up quitting the all star team, competing with my high school, then ended up joining a new gym that formed after high school season ended and was very high school friendly. Not having the stress of having to please both coaches made life approximately 427894624905736 times better. I admit, I would have never quit my high school team for all star because I thoroughly enjoyed the social aspect of it.

If you have to choose, choose the one you can't live without.

Back