All-Star High School Coach Has Problems With Allstar

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have the exact same problem, We got a new coach this year who is strictly allstar. She changed almost everything to her way (allstar way) changed all of our cheers that have been that way for 10+ years, the way we jump, our uniforms, everything. ABout half of us have been on allstar teams and although I agree with most of whats she is saying because I have been taught that way, she should not change the way things have been for 15 years. Highschool cheerleading is way different than Allstar. Also my school is not allowed to compete so it's not like she changed it for a comp. With the missing practice rule, that goes for ours too. We have 3 unexcused absences before we are kicked off. The first unexcused absence we are warned, 2nd we bench a game, 3rd we are off the team. We eventually switched coaches and things are back to normal and we have no problems. Try talking to another coach about it, or the activity director at your school. They normally understand and would like to keep things the same

One of our consequences if you miss a varsity football game is you have to sit a quarter of the next game.

If you miss a basketball game you have to make it up by cheering a JV game, with JV, which can at times be embarrassing.

If you miss a practice, same goes, you either sit a quarter of the football game or have to cheer a JV game.

During competition season we aren't allowed to miss.

At my school, if you miss more than three games you are suspended from cheering, but those rules don't apply to the competition team. As long as you continue to attend the comp team practices, you are fine.

This I just do not get.....kids that train on a spring floor find it harder on a dead mat and kids that train on dead mat find it harder on the spring floor.
I do not think the "spring" in the floor makes a difference from a safety point of view....it is just basically two different styles and it comes down to what you were trained on.....infact a spring floor can be fatal to someone who trained on a dead mat.

My daughter has a chronic bleeding disorder, no dead mat tumbling is allowed by her hematologist. Dead mats are used on hardwood and tile floors that are generally on top of concrete. Falling flyers account for most of the spinal injuries, however, the most feared by hematolgists is colliding tumblers. It is not the initial impact that is most dangerous, it is the second impact to the floor. On the initial impact the brain is moving at a high rate of speed in the same direction as the skull, on the second impact the skull is stopped abruptly but yet, the brain is still moving at a high rate of speed from the initial impact. Spring floors will act as a shock absorber, whereas, a dead mat on a hard surface, nothing.

2 things - #1 I have a girl that cheers for her high school and her coach told her that she is not allowed to look at her flyer, she must maintain eye contact with her base, let's just say that I am not happy with that.
#2 Spring floors would be great however when you think of the total number of schools that realistically have access to a sprung floor is not high. Same with college. The cost outweighs the realistic option of this taking place. I wish it would, but it just isn't going to happen. Been begging for it for years.

2 things - #1 I have a girl that cheers for her high school and her coach told her that she is not allowed to look at her flyer, she must maintain eye contact with her base, let's just say that I am not happy with that.
#2 Spring floors would be great however when you think of the total number of schools that realistically have access to a sprung floor is not high. Same with college. The cost outweighs the realistic option of this taking place. I wish it would, but it just isn't going to happen. Been begging for it for years.
That's why one of these companies that make the mats that roll out over the spring floor need to make a spring floor that is contained inside the mat and can roll out with the springs already in them! I know it can be done. Just up to one of these companies to figure out how to do it!

That's why one of these companies that make the mats that roll out over the spring floor need to make a spring floor that is contained inside the mat and can roll out with the springs already in them! I know it can be done. Just up to one of these companies to figure out how to do it!
Haha if only it were that easy. The fastest I've ever seen a floor put down is an hour.

John Butler I actually used to work for an equipment company and we set up gymnastics meets, I actually met with an industrial designer to see if something could be done, but it seems that it would be difficult to design and maintain a safe product. I know they tried with the "air" floor, but I just don't see it changing. Even if that's the case most high schools don't even have 7,8,9 strips of flat floor. I wish they would bc I see the benefits of it, I just don't see it happening.

Not ALL high schools need a spring floor. If your high school competes, than yes, i think it should be required to have a spring floor. You don't see high schools not having a gym for their basketball team to practice and play games in, or a school with football players that don't have pads... If you look at it from a cheer standpoint, spring floor isn't what we want, it's a piece of equipment that we need. Start with the schools that compete who don't have all-star gyms near them and give them spring floors. The other schools can get their own or go to the gym that is near them. Spring floors are safer than gym floors and dead floors, I'm not saying that spring floors are 100% safe, but someone needs to take 10 or so high schools that compete, have them do dead-mat 1 season, and then spring floor the next and calculate the injuries. I can almost guarantee that the spring floor will cause less injuries in the long run. It's possible... it just might take time... and alot of $$$

Back