High School High School Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Texas has also declared it a sport and it was passed by UIL (the group that governs inter scholastic sports in our state). Everyone does sideline but after football they have a tryout for comp team that any grade can tryout for. Cp's school will actually have two comp teams, one for NCA and one for UIL.

Texas has also declared it a sport and it was passed by UIL (the group that governs inter scholastic sports in our state). Everyone does sideline but after football they have a tryout for comp team that any grade can tryout for. Cp's school will actually have two comp teams, one for NCA and one for UIL.

I have read about UIL before but am not sure I understand it.

You don't do an actual 2:30 routine, but a game day type performance (like the NCA Game Time division?)

Appeals court affirms cheerleading not a sport for Title IX

This is not an isolated incident, and it is not limited to the collegiate level. These claims that various states have declared cheer to be a sport, may or may not hold up to the definition laid out by title IX. If they are challenged in court, you may find things change even more drastically in your state. Regardless, no matter what your state says, federal mandate is that your athletic director cannot count cheerleaders as athletes for the purpose of meeting title IX requirements.

In the tryout packet it states the team will be 20-30 athletes. I have a feeling if she decides to cut down to 12 there will be parents beating down the district athletic director's door. This is a non-competing freshman only team so it's not like NCA is at stake or something.
I can understand if you state ahead of time "hey we are only taking this score or higher" and then cut one kid. Our district doesn't have middle school cheer so for the vast majority of kids, this is their first crack at doing it. Personally? With a non-compete, majority 1st year squad it should be more "how many uniforms do we have?" instead of pushing kids out that could eventually be amazing.
This is why I never give a number! It was advice given to me my first year coaching by a seasoned coach on the old varsity boards. Every single year I get asked by multiple parents and girls how many were taking, and every year I tell them it's determined by the talent we see. I have been thankful many times I haven't backed myself into a number. The other coaches and I know our general number, but it's secret between us.

We are considering going to a no-cut sideline policy, and then competition be the cut team. Does anyone that does this tell me how it works for you?
We have too many tryout for that to be an option for us. We have anywhere from 55-75 trying out every year. I could never have a team that large without losing my sanity! I can imagine that there could be scheduling conflicts that arise as well.

A local school used to do a non-cut sideline, extra comp team on the side. Of course I don't know how it was day to day since I wasn't directly involved, but I do know there was a lot of drama. They never did that again, but given the right situation I guess it could work. Our football team has a cut yourself policy. If you make it through spring workouts and summer hell practices without cutting yourself, then you made the team.

It's funny, I feel just the opposite, my strength is in getting skills out of kids. Had a girl try out last year with a BHS who is going to try out this year with a layout. Is she a special kind of athlete? Sure, but almost every kid will be trying out with a new skill. That part isn't my issue.

My issue is that, as a guy who played sports my whole life, I understood the games I was cheering. I instinctually knew when the big moments were occurring, and how to manipulate a crowd with that knowledge. Coaching all girls, who could give a rip about anything except the outcome of the contest, it's hard to convey what came naturally to me in a teachable format.
I didn't realize your were a guy. I always assumed you were female until now? It always throws me when I learn someone on here is a different sex than I pictured all along.

I also have cut many tumblers over non tumblers. Not everyone that can tumble can cheer. There are a lot of kids that you can look at and see what they will be when someone just works with them! When I think of my bests over the years, they were all new when I got them. One of the standouts in my mind, where so many questioned me and said I was making a mistake, is now cheering at OSU. I could see the potential. Some kids are sponges, absorbing everything the coaches say to them, those are the kids I want! Full or not. The best part about these kids is that I don't have to reteach stuff in our way of doing things or correct bad habits from other coaches. If you show up ready to learn with lots of untapped potential and raw talent, then you have just gotten a spot on my team anyday!

This is why I never give a number! It was advice given to me my first year coaching by a seasoned coach on the old varsity boards. Every single year I get asked by multiple parents and girls how many were taking, and every year I tell them it's determined by the talent we see. I have been thankful many times I haven't backed myself into a number. The other coaches and I know our general number, but it's secret between us.

Same here.

"We will have to see what makes sense in the best interests of the program."

My other favorite line is:

"I turn my heart off at tryouts." Ie: no matter how much we both know I like your kid, if she doesn't fit within the team structure for a given year, she may get cut.

We have too many tryout for that to be an option for us. We have anywhere from 55-75 trying out every year. I could never have a team that large without losing my sanity! I can imagine that there could be scheduling conflicts that arise as well.

A local school used to do a non-cut sideline, extra comp team on the side. Of course I don't know how it was day to day since I wasn't directly involved, but I do know there was a lot of drama. They never did that again, but given the right situation I guess it could work. Our football team has a cut yourself policy. If you make it through spring workouts and summer hell practices without cutting yourself, then you made the team.

We had 50 at our parent meeting last year. Forty-five actually went through with trying out, up from 21 the year before when they had tryouts before hiring me. Parent meeting for this year is tomorrow, excited to see what comes out of it.

I didn't realize your were a guy. I always assumed you were female until now? It always throws me when I learn someone on here is a different sex than I pictured all along.

I also have cut many tumblers over non tumblers. Not everyone that can tumble can cheer. There are a lot of kids that you can look at and see what they will be when someone just works with them! When I think of my bests over the years, they were all new when I got them. One of the standouts in my mind, where so many questioned me and said I was making a mistake, is now cheering at OSU. I could see the potential. Some kids are sponges, absorbing everything the coaches say to them, those are the kids I want! Full or not. The best part about these kids is that I don't have to reteach stuff in our way of doing things or correct bad habits from other coaches. If you show up ready to learn with lots of untapped potential and raw talent, then you have just gotten a spot on my team anyday!

I tend to get a lot of kids who have been learning full ups but can't do straight ups from our local middle schools. They did one straight extension their first day, then immediately went to cross-leg full ups, etc. it's such a disaster that I've considered having a true freshman team to give those kids a year to correct the technique flaws left to me by their middle school coaches.

I tend to get a lot of kids who have been learning full ups but can't do straight ups from our local middle schools. They did one straight extension their first day, then immediately went to cross-leg full ups, etc. it's such a disaster that I've considered having a true freshman team to give those kids a year to correct the technique flaws left to me by their middle school coaches.
:jawdrop:

It was new this year and our high school didn't participate but that's what it sounds like...
http://www.uiltexas.org/files/spirit/2016_UILSpirit_StateChampionship_GenRulesrev.pdf
Our school didn't participate in this either, and they won't participate next year. Almost all of the schools in our area did participate and from what I have heard, it was a very well-run competition. I do not know what the reasoning is behind our coach not wanting to participate. I guess I will find out at the parent meeting since we just had tryouts last Friday.

Our school didn't participate in this either, and they won't participate next year. Almost all of the schools in our area did participate and from what I have heard, it was a very well-run competition. I do not know what the reasoning is behind our coach not wanting to participate. I guess I will find out at the parent meeting since we just had tryouts last Friday.

I think for our school they weren't prepared. It ran close to NCA and with the rules being so different it wasn't like they could just use the routine they had. I'm glad we are doing both this season. Cp wants the national team but is going to tryout for both.

Back