High School High School Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not surprising. This whole country caters to the unsuccessful.

While I agree with this statement, I imagine it's really embarrassing and probably devastating to not make the team. I don't have an issue with taking their feelings into account. When I got rejected from my first choice doctoral program after having my interview and falling in love with the school, I would have literally had a mental breakdown had they posted the "results" on a public website. It was nice to be rejected in the comfort of my own apartment where I could sit and cry by myself and tell anyone I wanted to (or tell no one at all) in my own time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with this statement, I imagine it's really embarrassing and probably devastating to not make the team. I don't have an issue with taking their feelings into account. When I got rejected from my first choice doctoral program after having my interview and falling in love with the school, I would have literally had a mental breakdown had they posted the "results" on a public website. It was nice to be rejected in the comfort of my own apartment where I could sit and cry by myself and tell anyone I wanted to (or tell no one at all) in my own time.

I completely agree with you. My comment was in reference to the part of her post about taking away the party for the kids who made the team. We've done everything BUT make success a criminal act in this nation. You can't celebrate. You shouldn't talk about it. Why? Because someone might get their poor whittle feewings hurt.

The party I didn't have a problem with (that actually sounded really fun and specials for the girls/boys), but the listing by names I did. Although that was (at least in part) because I don't think that's probably safe unless it was on a locked portion of a website that required a username and password. I prefer the numbers being used because it's safer, as well as more private and the athletes can share (or not share) that information when they feel comfortable.

Last year...numbers were posted to a piece of paper on the school door.
This year...10th-12th grades found out in person after school and then freshman came in after the middle school dismissed. They announced the numbers of who made it and the girls went up front. Cp said since they all made it the coach just told them that and gave them the info for uniform fittings next week.

Someone mentioned first cuts, second cuts, etc.

Something I'd love to have would be a training camp style tryout (a la some professional teams) in which your tryout only earns you the ability to come practice with the team over the summer, with cuts made periodically through summer with final team announced right before our actual away camp.

Time constraints make that difficult.

When I was in HS(a looong time ago) they used to announce it over the PA during the final minutes of last period. They'd announce who made it through first cuts and then announce who made the team, it was brutal:eek:
They did this last year for my daughters ELEMENTARY school dance team. 60 tried our and the announced the 20 that made it the next morning. It's sad that high schoolers cannot handle it in some places!

Something I'd love to have would be a training camp style tryout (a la some professional teams) in which your tryout only earns you the ability to come practice with the team over the summer, with cuts made periodically through summer with final team announced right before our actual away camp.

We did something similar back in 2013. One difference was that if you made it through tryouts that was the end of cuts, but we didn't determine the breakdown between teams for another month. So if you made tryouts you were guaranteed a team, you just didn't know which one. Everyone practiced together and we updated our rosters as we went. Kids never knew which team they were on. We went into the month with our breakdown, and it was surprising to see how many girls got moved to a different team throughout the month. When we announced teams at the end of the month, it was drama for anyone not on varsity. I think making the first cut and then practicing all together, gave them all the hope that they were on varsity. We didn't do it that way again, but if I ever did I would probably announce the working rosters going in so they knew where they started and had a more realistic expectation through the whole process.

They did this last year for my daughters ELEMENTARY school dance team. 60 tried our and the announced the 20 that made it the next morning. It's sad that high schoolers cannot handle it in some places!
How did the elementary school kids handle it?

Honestly at the time it didn't occur to me that it could've been handled privately, that was just the way it was done. It was super stressful listening for your name though, and I still vividly remember the year they cut one twin who had been on the squad the year before and not the other one. It was sorta stunned silence at first and then everybody was talking about it for the next couple of days. Oh the joys of a small school....

Honestly at the time it didn't occur to me that it could've been handled privately, that was just the way it was done. It was super stressful listening for your name though, and I still vividly remember the year they cut one twin who had been on the squad the year before and not the other one. It was sorta stunned silence at first and then everybody was talking about it for the next couple of days. Oh the joys of a small school....
That sucks. It not like she can go home to escape hearing about cheer because her own SISTER made it.

I haven't done this myself, but let me provide a bit of insight from the program where I currently coach that might sway you from trying this:

I watched this team for years before I started coaching them. The lady who coached before me would pick a team, then wait all summer til just before camp to announce who was going to be on the nationals team and who would be on the "other" team. Trigger the drama. So right before camp, they would have all this drama because so and so wasn't on the nationals team. People would quit, or start talking crap about the other team, it was awful. I always try to get my drama done as early as possible for that very reason.

I have to share this with all of you.

Held our pre-tryout parent meeting last night.

Had a confrontational parent on DAY ZERO! We haven't done anything yet, but she chose to go off about fundraising of all things. We didn't even really discuss fundraising in detail, I always wait until I know who's on the team to go into detail about that. My coaching staff and I sat around for about 30 minutes after the meeting laughing at the audacity of someone who would go off with such an attitude before tryouts even started.

In her defense, she later apologized, but still

Ugh! I would rather fundraise than not get stuff!
I love when parents ask for all kinds of crap (I want the kids to get this uniform, and that one, and this practice wear, and go to that camp, and that competition, and this bow and blah blah blah), but then you show them the price and you get "uh uh! I'm not paying for that!" "well that's fine, you can fundraise." "my kid is NOT going to fundraise"

WTH? Then why are you asking for stuff?

Back