Higher Tuck/better Set

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
Whenever I throw any type of tuck (running or standing) its usually whipped. I don't lift my arms much and I land pretty low. I think it's a nervous habit since I'm generally a mental tumbler. How can I set higher? Thanks!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Whenever I throw any type of tuck (running or standing) its usually whipped. I don't lift my arms much and I land pretty low. I think it's a nervous habit since I'm generally a mental tumbler. How can I set higher? Thanks!

Have a coach spot you so you can focus on the set! If someone is keeping you safe you can try to change your technique and not worry about falling!

What I used to think about in running tucks is to just use your rebound! Especially if you can get a spot, they can help you with a lot of the rotation if you just focus on riding the rebound. Once I did that, I found it super easy to rotate at the top and it became a lot easier :)

It sounds like you are wipping your head or back on the take off. You want your body to rotate up and over your shoulders. It takes a lot more strength to accomplish this technique than a backhandspring. Focus on your drills, and conditioning. When the coach says "do 10 sit ups!" , always do 20, and you will achieve your goal.
In running tumbling, you should have mastered three backhandspings, and increase speed in every backhandspring. This will give you a better understanding on how the rhythm of the backhandspring works. After you have a true understanding of the backhandspring, then it will be easier to have success in your back tuck drills. Without a complete knowledge of rhythm and body position it will be difficult to have a beautiful back tuck.

Back