All-Star How Did You Get Started?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 15, 2011
How did you get your start in cheering? Not everyone just wakes up in the morning and thinks "hey, I'm going to be a cheerleader today." It'll be fun to see how everyone began :)

I started out in mommy and me classes when i was little. Once i got old enough i started taking more and more gymnastics classes and privates. I gained skills pretty quickly and was being "recruited" by alot of other gymnastics gyms that were in other states. My mom and my coach (who was also the all star coach) saw that I really liked watching the all-star teams practice and let me go to one of their practices one day and I've been in love with it ever since.

so...
How'd you get your start?

My friend started it and I was super confused whenever she would talk about cheer (she was just taking classes at this point) and I was like "wait you don't like learn cheers?" so she took me to a class and then I started taking classes, and the next year I joined a team :D she still takes credit for getting me into it all the time!

I was in gymnastics and got skills really quickly, but they wouldn't let me move foreword without the skill being absolutely perfect so I got bored quickly.Plus, I hated doing beam and vault. I finally saw the cheer team while at gymnastics and at the end of the class I told my mom I want to do that, and started cheer the next day! 12/13 years later and I am still in love with it ;)

Well I got started back in 2001 when I got back into gymnastics classes after my broken arm healed. We had moved from Indiana a few years before where I was in classes and loved it, but tried soccer when I got to Birmingham. It was fun and all but not really what I wanted to do. While I was taking classes one of the original ACE owners came up to me and asked me if I would be interested in doing competitive cheer. Now and I am not kidding my reply was "let me go ask my mom" and I scampered off to go ask her. I am so glad that she was so supportive of me going into cheer where I excelled in tumbling far beyond gymnastics ever taught me. ACE of Alabama was some of the best years of my life.

I took gymnastics from the ages of 3-12.
Then I had a really bad elbow/nerve injury and quit...
A year later my best friend got me to try out for cheer... I've been obsessed ever since :)

I started in the 9th grade. :3
When I was little, however, I alwayyysss wanted to be a cheerleader. I just didn't have the opportunity to join a cheer squad until I moved to America. That was the best thing ever. :) It was seeing the girls at the high school basket ball games that really got me. And whenever ESPN pans over the cheerleaders at college football games. Then I got hooked on AllStar and never looked back. :D

Speaking for my cp-she was in gymnastics classes from the time she was about 18 months old-I use the term 'gymnastics' lightly at that age.
She loved the tumbling part of the class but hated the balance beam and bars so I started looking for other options.
We had a close friend that cheered at a local gym here but finding a gym that would take a barely 3 year old was hard to find but we eventually found one and have been there 3 seasons now and we are sticking with it.
I love when the older girls come up to me and tell me that they wished they would have started at cp's age.

My best friend went to a small private school for middle school. She tried out and made it and started teaching me cheers in the backyard when we would hang out. My mom sent me to that same school the next year so I tried out too. It was an everyone makes it kind of deal. I really grew to like cheering. Long story short it didn't work out there and I ended up back at public school around October of 6th grade. I couldn't cheer for my new public school until 7th grade so I googled local allstar gyms because I heard some girls on my old team talking about it. ACX was first alphabetically so I called them up myself and asked about their teams, classes and prices. I got in some tumbling classes and come that spring I tried out and made both a junior 2 at ACX and my middle school team. The rest was history.

Well, my neighbor signed up for rec cheer, and i wanted to be like her (shes all popular) and so i did too. She ended up quitting like day 2 of practices, but i kept going... for 8 more years. Its my first year of allstar, and i never want to quit. I really am pursuing a business career, so maybe a cheer gym? (;

I hate my neighbor (shes rude and snobby) but i have to thank her for introducing me to cheer...

My CP started "gymnastics" at 18 months. She has always been a super active child and I was looking for an outlet for her energy. We did play low level type gymnastics until she was 4 and the little gym where she was started offering a cheer class. (No team to speak of) I signed her up because I figured yelling (didnt know what all star cheer was at this point) and jumping around was a better fit for her energy level than artistic gymnastics and ballet. We did that for about a year and then moved to a new town. The gymnastics place up the road that I found was just trampoline and tumble at the time and they were starting cheer, so we signed up for both. Did a season there but that team dissolved, took a year off and then she started begging to go back to cheer. Did a little research and found where we are now.. And we love it. She still does artistic team and ballet, but really excels at cheer.

My mum dragged me to a new gym that opened in my county, I was really lazy and didn't do any out of school activities. I am so lucky that she made me go because I am in love with the sport.

My little sister started cheerleading and was talking me into it.
I was out of school already and could barely do a cartwheel, so i wasn't really happy, but i promised to try.
Today, 7 years later, i am so thankfull she showed me this world and i'm that crazy cheerleader, coach and cheer mum that thinks about cheerleading 24/7.

I never ended being a fierce tumbler and i never will, but i can't without stunting, dance and my teams <3

One day I watched a video of Senior Elite at Worlds 2010 and I loved it so much I decided I wanted to cheer, despite having dedicated 8 years of my life to basketball.

And just for the record, cheerleading > basketball ;)

Back