All-Star How Did You Get Started?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I went shopping with my bestfriend in August 2010 day and my coaches where handing out leaflets for a new cheerleading programme and try outs were at my school (that's where we practice but we're not actually anything to do with them) so we decided to go to try outs and oh my it was sooo hard I woke up the next day and couldn't actually walk but I wanted to go back and I did, and here I am now, so proud to say that I've been with my team since day 1 I love it:)

Cp was in gymnastics and did youth league for the first time in 2nd grade. After season ended she wanted to work on her bhs and we signed up for a second gymnastics class a week but that was heading in direction of gymnastics team which she was not interested in. The youth league coordinator recommended a nearby cheer gym for a tumbling class, and midway through the first class she came out during a water break and said "THIS is what what I want to do. No more gymnastics". Fastforward 8 seasons - older cp is now ex-cp due to ankle injuries but younger cp is in 7th season as an all-star.

CP has danced since she was 3and loves it. She tumbled at the studio, but wasn't really learning much because it was more of a "just for fun" type class. We tried tumbling at a gymnastics gym, and didn't love it because the rec tumbling classes weren't really seen as that important so we got teenagers coaching, an no one really took it seriously. We did a year of rec cheer and that was AWFUL! Never again. She had a friend doing allstar who invited us to the gym for tumbling classes. We loved it and ended up on the half season team last year. This year is my 9 year old's first season on mini 1.

Last year around the end of July we had the owner of the gym discontinue the competitive girls gymnastics program and kicked us out of the gym (there's a really long backstory to this but it still wasn't right). We all moved to go join another gym and a little into August and September I realized that I just wasn't feeling gymnastics anymore. I gave it a couple more weeks and still didn't have the fire I used to have so I quit gymnastics (training level 8) and just did Tumbling classes (one of my favorite things). Later that same week I went over to my friends house for our Science Fair project and her mom mentioned their senior level 2 is looking for a replacement.( she went to the same gym I used to do gymnastics at) I remember when I used to do gymnastics, my team would ALWAYS make fun of the cheerleaders, we didn't think of it as a sport, and honestly didn't give them one once of respect. <-- Some of that I think is just a gymnast thing but maybe not. Anyway after the first competition I was in love.The lights, the make up,the loud music. I just loved it all. I loved feeling apart of a team. Winning NCA and Grand Champions at "AMAZING" and getting our rings was an indescribable feeling and amazing way to end my first season. This is my second season with them as SrCoedLVL3 (highest level they offer we are considered a small gym) and hopefully next year move to a bigger gym and tryout for a level 5 team. I also tried out for school cheer and made my 8th grade squad. I now give All-star Cheerleaders EVERY OUNCE of respect and it is definitely a sport. Sure some of my old gymnastics friends think differently but I guess what they say is true... You don't understand it until you fall in love with it. Cheer is life.

*ounce* and I ment that its my second season and I am a senior coed level 3 this year.*
Ps. Sorry for long post and My parents still wish I hadn't quit gymnastics.. They aren't the most supportive cheer parents.. Haha

Back