All-Star How Does One Become A Coach?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermommaRN

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
The reason why I ask is because I hate my 2nd job. I do it because it pays for my cp's cheer but I literally have started dreading going on Sunday nights. I would rather be doing something I love so it's at least enjoyable. My dh said "Your so crazy about cheer...why don't you learn to coach?"
The only cheer experience I have is from high school (the early 90's) but I do have my BSN/RN, so I have a working knowledge of how the body works and what it should do. I also have athletic training experience.
Is this a crazy idea? I am a fast learner and have sucked up so much info on the industry I'm a sponge! Should I even try or would I be stereotyped as "that mom"?
Where would I start? Heck I'll even do it for free until I get USASF certs!

Hmmm. . . this is a tough one! because all my coaches come from a long list of cheerleading background. but it wont hurt to try.

People become coaches in many ways, some cheered at the gym before and got hired as coaches. I would talk to your gym owner and express your interest. You could maybe go on as a trainer and then move on to asst coach, or something along those lines.

Even if you don't have an extensive cheer background you can still be a coach! I have had at least 3 coaches in the past that had only cheered high school, college, etc. Heck, my high school coach my freshman year was a dance teacher and knew nothing about cheerleading ( needless to say it wasn't her thing and she quit but either way she was still a varsity cheerleading coach and got the job). If you have a passion for the sport and think you would honestly enjoy coaching then give it a try. The Boards are a great place to learn about the ins and outs and I'm sure once your in a coaching position you'll pick up on it even more. I feel like, yes, gyms do look at past experience but In special cases like yours where your just really knowledgeable and have a passion for it, I don't see why they wouldn't let you especially if you get certified. Good luck!

The reason why I ask is because I hate my 2nd job. I do it because it pays for my cp's cheer but I literally have started dreading going on Sunday nights. I would rather be doing something I love so it's at least enjoyable. My dh said "Your so crazy about cheer...why don't you learn to coach?"
The only cheer experience I have is from high school (the early 90's) but I do have my BSN/RN, so I have a working knowledge of how the body works and what it should do. I also have athletic training experience.
Is this a crazy idea? I am a fast learner and have sucked up so much info on the industry I'm a sponge! Should I even try or would I be stereotyped as "that mom"?
I have a long power tumbling background first but my dad was my coach and when I wanted to start teaching tumbling he gave me a board with a mop/wig attached to it and I had to carry it around and shadow him for a year before I was allowed to teach anything. Now do I recommend this to everyone, YES lol. My point is, that if your seriously interested, talk to your gym owner and see if you can shadow a GOOD coach (prob should stay away from your cp's team, just a suggestion) for a little while for 2 reasons.
1. To learn
2. See if you REALLY wanna do it
Good LUCK!!

Sorry for the double post

One option would be to ask about becoming an assistant coach. That way you can learn everything you need to know and eventually move on to coaching your own team.

You can also look into coaching a low-level rec team for elementary / middle school kids. It usually doesn't require as much knowledge, the choreography and stunts don't need to be nearly as difficult, and the kids have a lot of fun learning simple motions, jumps, etc.

Good luck!

Does your program have a nurse on staff? I have seen some teams that travel with a nurse as well as have 1 in the gym on weeknights during practices to take care of any issues that may arise. The nurse keeps all the inhalers labeled for the kids and have them ready to go as they kids step off the mat at competitions. i think an opportunity like this would be beneficial for the expertise and experience that you would bring to the gym.

When I cheered, our gym owners had never cheered before! They were married and the husband was a baseball coach before. The wife was a dancer. Husband's mom coached pop warner and had him help a practice once. He got hooked from there! They opened a gym and it was a very successful gym!
I would first express interest in the owner and offer to help assistant coach for a while. It probably won't be paid. However, you could work in the office as a front desk person (for a paid position) when you're not helping assistant coach. That way you can see how everything works.

Also, does your gym have a preschool tumbling program? You could start coaching that and work your way up. The little ones are fun (if you have the patience) and you can test your coaching techniques and strategies with them. Most people don't necessarily need a coaching backround teaching 4 and 5 year olds how to do a cartwheel.

Does your program have a nurse on staff? I have seen some teams that travel with a nurse as well as have 1 in the gym on weeknights during practices to take care of any issues that may arise. The nurse keeps all the inhalers labeled for the kids and have them ready to go as they kids step off the mat at competitions. i think an opportunity like this would be beneficial for the expertise and experience that you would bring to the gym.

Can I just say I love this! I have never heard of a gym keeping a nurse on staff, and I don't know how this would work liability-wise, but if it all works out for them I think it's great!!

I have wondered the same thing @cheermommaRN
It has been years since I cheered and while I did one year of all stars it was not fun because of the gym I was in so I just went with high school cheer itself. I think a way to start would maybe try and get a job in the front office or coach a half year team. Goodluck though, I am in the same boat that you are wanting to do something extra on the side that really instests me. If you have any luck keep us all updated.

I have coached gymnastics and cheer since I was 16 years old. However, I will tell you that when I came into the All Star scene, I was most definitely viewed as "that mom" at first. And I had extensive experience in school and rec cheer. Our first time stepping foot into an all star gym Em was supposed to just do a summer class. When they saw her potential, they invited to do competitive cheer. My first comment was that I would love for that to happen, but I couldn't afford it. And I told them I could barter for her tuition and they actually gave me a shot! At first it was just a cheer class and such but eventually after I proved my ability I got put on teams and upper level tumbling classes. But when they got bought out the next year, the new owners didn't take me seriously at ALL! I had to almost BEG to stay on staff and after many many conversations assuring them they wouldn't be disappointed, they gave me a shot. Again, I ended up proving myself and they developed a whole new respect for me. THEN we moved to Twist & Shout and it took me TWO years to finally land a job. Again, they just assumed I was a crazy mom who wanted to be in the gym with her kids.

My honest opinion is that you will have a very hard time coming on the scene as a coach since your CP is already involved. A small gym may be more apt to give you a shot over an already established, reputable gym. I would start by trying to coach/sponsor a middle school or pop warner team and see how that goes. :)

My honest opinion is that you will have a very hard time coming on the scene as a coach since your CP is already involved. A small gym may be more apt to give you a shot over an already established, reputable gym. I would start by trying to coach/sponsor a middle school or pop warner team and see how that goes. :)

I would have to agree...try coaching a pop warner or middle school team.
I started out as a tumbling coach, then moved to teams

Some of our BEST coaches started out with very little all star cheer experience (may have cheered in high school/college, coached gymnastics, or park league). The key is to pair up with someone you respect as a coach, and absorb as much as you can. Being USASF certified is a big plus...you need to know your levels and limitations as coach to keep kids safe. A very prominent gym owner once told me (I'm a big gym owner also), that his only requirement for his coaching staff is that they MUST love working with kids....everything else about the sport can be taught. Best wishes on your new endeavor, and keep us posted! :)

Back