All-Star How Does Your Cp Inspire You?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

abbyandy9 I understand not wanting to add in passes for a tumbler that doesn't always tumble, but understanding individual situations and being supportive is where I may be different. I have an off and on mental block case on my youth 2 this year. It shows up then goes away within days of each other--some days shes 100%, others only 50%, others we get nothin'. But we choose to leave her tumbling in bc she is still pushing for it and working hard.
I don't always pretend to know the answers or even understand other coaches reasons for the way they do things, but what works for me is not making a big deal of the block and just continuing to practice as if things were normal. Takes the pressure off a lot IMO.

Yes that makes sense! I understand that it would be very frustrating as a coach to deal with mental blocks, but I can't understand them just giving up on her. They wouldn't even let her coach even after the head tumbling coach went to them and asked them to let her coach with him. That's probably why my daughter is in college now and has no relationship with the coach--even after being with her for 11 years. So sad.

My oldest CP inspires me everyday. She was diagnosed with plaque psoriasis when she was 6 but that hasn't stopped her from doing all-star or school cheer. She made captain her freshman year and co-captain her sophomore year. She will be eligible for the Varsity team this year and wants to cheer in college. She is not only a terrific cheerleader but is also an excellent student. Just last week she made student of the month for her sophomore class... And there are close to 600 students in her class! I believe that because she was teased about her skin at such a young age that she is so accepting of others. She doesn't fit the mold of the "perfect" cheerleader but she definitely embodies it. She hasn't let her disease hold her back and words can't express how proud I am of her.

You are so so fortunate to have such an amazing coach for your daughter! My cp's mental block started when she was injured but her coaches never cared about that. They always told her it was made up, that she just didn't want to tumble badly enough. Very much not the case.
The fear is so real!!! I am so sorry you cp had to go trough that :( I am so blessed. Tho coach has worked with my cp since she was 5 and still to this day does.

My cp inspires me every single day with her determination and work ethic. When she first started cheer she was an extremely shy little girl who wouldn’t even talk to anyone outside of the immediate family. I wasn’t sure cheer was for her because she hated to have any attention on her and would shy away. Well she showed me… she was determined to be a cheerleader and it was a pleasure to watch her personality come alive on that blue mat. Although she is still very shy when not competing, when she is on the floor she absolutely shines. One look at her when she competes and you can tell how much she loves this sport. She is in her 10th and final year of Allstar cheer, 8 of which has been on a level 5 team and this year will be her 7th time to Worlds. In all those years through many, many injuries she has never missed a practice or competition. Her dedication to what she loves is inspiring.

Although she won’t miss a cheer practice she doesn’t seem to have the same issue with missing school so she can travel to competitons. Hahaha But here is where her amazing work ethic kicks in. She has been able to maintain her high GPA (currently a 4.20) all through school and was able to not only be accepted to every college she applied to but was offered academic scholarships to each. She chose a University that she felt would be the best fit for her academically and personally. Oh, and Yes she will be cheering on their competition team on an athletic scholarship too. This to me is truly inspiring of how determined she is to be a success in all areas of her life.

Hmmm this kinda makes me think I’m going to miss her when she leaves in the fall….:(

This made me laugh. When I went away to school, my mom cried and slept in my bed for a week :rolleyes:

I don't doubt it. My older daughter is transfering schools in the fall too. I will have both my girls leaving me at the same time. I can't even begin to process what I'm feeling about that right now. After 21 years of having kids in the house to just me and the hubby?? I just can't... yet!

I have a whole thread on here about what my daughter has taught me. Like your daughter, Amawhitmom, my daughter is dealing with an elbow injury right now. She is in a half cast and sling. We are waiting to hear from the Ortho's office to get a MRI scheduled. Right now, they are thinking bone bruise and/or bad sprain/strain. She did it doing her ROBHS. She said she heard the two bones hit together. Ouch!

She has not missed a practice and has been so supportive of her squad. She tells them that she is now their BIGGEST fan. We have two more Competitons (Feb. 24 and March 2nd). I don't think she will get to compete in them but she is not counting herself out yet. If she can get her arm to straighten enough. She will be out there hitting the dance and cheer sections and giving some handed help in the stunts. And will be fine taking a knee in tumbling.

She is also so mature for her age and doesn't do alot with friends because of the drama. But she has taught me so much about what makes a person happy.
I love her with all my heart she has so many struggles in her 17 yrs. with medical issues. She is a very shy person and that alone can be a struggle but she has never let that get her down. All Star cheer is her passion and she doesn't care that no one around her even remotely knows who F5, CEA, CJA, Twisters, FAME, Rays are, she does and she follows them. Wears their shirts and cheer bows when no one else does in our little small town.

My daughter is simply amazing in my eyes and has taught me so so much. I love you to the moon and back and then some.

CoachKelly I hope your CP is ok!! I will search for your discussion! Whitney completely tore her UCL doing her ROBHS. When it happened she said she heard a bunch of "pops". We only found out the extent of her injury after an MRI. I hope your CP's is just a sprain! She sounds like an amazing kid!

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories! I love reading about all of our inspirational kids!

My CP is not the best on her team. She's not front and center for anything. She's not a flyer. She will never be the star. What she does do is more important I think. She is the kid still putting in 100% when they are doing the same skill for the 15th time. She will take a hit so her flyer doesn't hit the ground. She fights to save the stunt that is going bad. She encourages the kid that is just having a bad practice. She woks hard to get new skills even though it takes her twice as long as her friends to get a skill. She doesnt let the fact that others can do more with less effort discourage her. He determination to do HER best, and be OK with that inspires me.

Both of my CP's inspire me and it's not only because of Cheer but because of who they are what they have become. They are both very good students who are on the honor roll and just all around good kids. Neither are in the "popular" group of kids in school and I don't think either one cares one bit. They both have their friends in and outside of cheer and are perfectly comfortable with not being part of the "in" crowd in school. When other parents tell us how polite/nice our kids are it makes us feel like we just won a million dollars because it helps us to know that we did a decent job raising them which is not always easy these days. I'm not sure their is a better compliment you can receive as a parent regarding your kids.
Both are 100% committed to their teams, they work hard in practice and when they perform on the floor we could not be more proud and we make sure to tell them that often. Cherish these times with your kids and stay involved in their lives because they grow up so fast and before you know it they are graduating from High School and these times will be over :(.

Last year she (she was 6) broke her radius and ulna in her left arm doing a stunt that she became terrified of bc she kept getting dropped - many times.. on her head. She was always a very confident flyer, but once that happened she became fearful. I was very concerned bc she told me she didn't want to do that team anymore bc she was too scared of just that one stunt. They even switched her bases (who are very good), but bc of that fear, she still went up shaky and many times continued to fall. Then her fear started affecting flying/stunting period. It was before our showcase last year. Anyway, I honestly considered asking the coaches to pull her from it bc it seemed obvious to me as her parent, that something bad was going to happen; but I didn't. I tried to let them do their job.

Then we had our showcase and she actually did the stunt w/o falling (albeit a bit shaky). She maybe had one competition last year after showcase before she broke her arm. She broke it during practice trying to brace herself from hitting her head. We have the parent viewing room, so of course I saw it..but it looked like all of the other times she had fallen to me...Until someone came frantically running up the stairs saying the coaches wanted to see me. I took one look at it and knew it was broken. She's so tiny (all of 36 lbs) that I watched the dr. try to reset them twice at the hospital bc her bones kept slipping out of place. Long story short, she wound up requiring surgery (she needed pins and screws to hold them in place). She was out for most of the season. I never wanted her to fly again. She had told me after she broke her arm that she didn't want to and I told her that was perfectly fine.

She also required a second surgery at the end of the school year to get the screws removed. Well after her first comp back (maybe February) she told me sadly after watching the playback how she wished she was still in the pyramid. She absolutely could not tumble or do anything that required any kind of weight on her arms. As apprehensive as I was, I told her that if she wanted to fly that she had to tell her coaches herself (bc A- I figured if she was serious and not really scared, that she would tell them and B- I didn't want them or anyone to think I was pushing for her to do it. ) Well after a couple of weeks went by, she finally did ask her coaches, and to my dismay (lol) she was flying again period- INCLUDING the stunt where she broke her arm. I couldn't believe it! She was so brave and wanted it so badly, I just couldn't believe it!!!

Additionally, she was always super encouraging and showed incredible sportsmanship to her fellow teammates. Earlier this season, one of the other flyers really bit the dust one day after starting to have some issues stunting herself, and you could tell she was scared to go back up (my CP told me after practice that the girl didn't want to go back up after falling). Anyway, you could hear my CP yelling "come on Susy, you can do it"!! "I believe in you, etc". When Susy finally went back up (and every other stunt group that went up when they'd practice them one at a time in front of the team) she would yell, "whoo hoo!!!, or "come on you can do it", Yay, I'm so proud of you "Susy"!!!, or "good job!", etc. I had quite a few parents upstairs compliment me on her sportsmanship. It made them so happy. Especially bc the first "Susy's" mom severely dislikes me (actually that Susy was quite mean to my CP on a couple of occasions, like pushing her when my CP went to hug her one time after practice to congratulate her , for example). I don't bring that nonsense home and I especially don't talk about other kids and their parents in front of her (in a negative way, that's just wrong). They were her teammates and they needed to get along and be supportive of one another, regardless of personal issues.

Anyway, the point is I'm super proud that she was so encouraging and showed good sportsmanship, even when people didn't afford her the same and I'm amazed at her courage and willingness to go back out there and fly after what happened to her!!! I'm not sure I could have. <3 <3

Back