All-Star How Far Away Is Your Gym???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are about 4-5 gyms around me that are in between 10-45 min of a drive but I choose to go to a gym that is 2 hours away to be on a worlds team
Do you feel like you still bond with the team being that far away. Do you tumble or do open gym at another gym, or just not do extra tumbling and practices. My thoughf was she could be on a more successful team If we drive 2 hours, but would she bond well with the other tesm members able to do things together outside of practices?

Do you feel like you still bond with the team being that far away. Do you tumble or do open gym at another gym, or just not do extra tumbling and practices. My thoughf was she could be on a more successful team If we drive 2 hours, but would she bond well with the other tesm members able to do things together outside of practices?
If you are willing to make some extra trips here and there it can work. Not sure how old your cp is but maybe even weekend trips there for sleepovers work.

Pretending to be a parent since 1993

At what age was your cp when you decided to change to a "bigger" or more "successful" gym? My cp is 8 and thinks her gym is perfect, me not so much. It has crossed my mind to go else where but I want it to be her decision too. Right now she is to young I think to understand that not every gym is like ours. Idk I've just been thinking about it a lot lately since the season is almost over. Where would we go if we switched? How would we "get in" with another gym? How would she handle the pressure of walking into a gym she has never been to in front of people and coaches she does to know? Does she have the confidence to do this? It's hard to know if it is right or not.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

At what age was your cp when you decided to change to a "bigger" or more "successful" gym? My cp is 8 and thinks her gym is perfect, me not so much. It has crossed my mind to go else where but I want it to be her decision too. Right now she is to young I think to understand that not every gym is like ours. Idk I've just been thinking about it a lot lately since the season is almost over. Where would we go if we switched? How would we "get in" with another gym? How would she handle the pressure of walking into a gym she has never been to in front of people and coaches she does to know? Does she have the confidence to do this? It's hard to know if it is right or not.

You'd be surprise how welcoming the bigger gyms can be.

Pretending to be a parent since 1993

Sadly I don't get to go to the open gyms or to tumble at the gym because it is do far away and I also have a part time job.. But every now and they I do come up Fridays and spend the weekend with some of my team members and sleep over with them and things like that until practice on Sundays and then I head back home. But I don't think I have any problems bonding with anyone on the team if that helps any :)

Sadly I don't get to go to the open gyms or to tumble at the gym because it is do far away and I also have a part time job.. But every now and they I do come up Fridays and spend the weekend with some of my team members and sleep over with them and things like that until practice on Sundays and then I head back home. But I don't think I have any problems bonding with anyone on the team if that helps any :)
You're in MO right? Where do you cheer if you don't mind me asking?

Advice from one of our former moms who moved to Texas where they now drive almost 2 hour to practice:

Get in with a carpool. You'd be surprised how close kids get with others in the pool. Pool moms will invite kids to stay over, etc.

Advice from one of our former moms who moved to Texas where they now drive almost 2 hour to practice:

Get in with a carpool. You'd be surprised how close kids get with others in the pool. Pool moms will invite kids to stay over, etc.
Or move in with a few of them.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned

The downside that I've found so far is the friendships the kids do make are hard to maintain outside of the gym. It's difficult to get kids together for sleepovers or playdates on the weekends. We already live about an hour away and then if your friend happens to live 30 or 45 minutes away from the gym in the other direction you are looking at a lengthy drive just for a birthday party or whatnot. My cp is too young still to spend more then one night away so it's hard for me to justify a 4 hour round trip drive for a slumber party.

Most of our outside get togethers are usually a quick dinner before or after practice with some kids from her team. I'm already feeling anxious about this a little now so I'd imagine it'll only get tougher as the kids get older and want to hang out more. For now dinner out is pretty exciting but it'll lose it's luster quick.

That being said-my cp has had no issues bonding with anyone. She never feels left out even when she has to miss an event.

My old gym (that I still go to for stunt privates and to tumble) is 15-20. But my new one is a hour, even more when I'm coming from work :p
A few other people from my old gym are going to the new one so we probably are all going to start a carpool by meeting at the old gym since it's on the way anyway

Back