How Heavy Is Too Heavy For Flyers?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Im only 98 pounds and i cant fly for my middle school team . Oh yeah ! maybe because the others are like 30 pounds.

i think weight matters but its not the only factor is deciding whether a girl is a good flyer or if she should fly. there are a whole bunch of factors such as what others have been saying about the flyers holding themselves in the air and in the craddle, flexability is a big key .. no one wants to see a an ugly stretch in the air, also the bases you have on the team.. if one girl is a little heavier but a bomb flyer and no one can lift her just put the strongest bases with her , a girl should be flying if she has the skills reguardless of weight . lastly confidence , a flyer needs that in order to stay in the air, bases play a factor in that..incourage your flyer to be better, tell them what theyre doing wrong without being mean of course . communication and trust is key in making a stunt group work, reguardless of the weight of the flyer, body type or whatever!

I think weight definitely a factor. Obviously there has to be a limit to how much weight a base can throw in the air without getting injured. However, the flyers ability to hold her own weight can make a HUGE difference. I'm a flyer that weighs 120 pounds and have been told I am easier and lighter to base than girls almost half my size, because they don't push off and help their bases. So for all those girls out there going through a growth spurt worried about how much longer you will be able to fly, don't give up! With the proper technique you should have nothing to worry about:) (unless you weigh 200 lbs)

Yeah I agree with all the previous posts.
I've been flying my flyer for about 4 years and we base her quite easily. It feels weird basing lighter flyers now because we've just gotten used to the weight. But, my flyer is bigger than all the newer girls on the team and my coach has told her she might have to base next year. I think that it's wrong because there's nothing wrong with her as flyer. Sure, she's a bit bigger and heavier than the other girls, but she's an amazing flyer. She holds her weight, she's flexible and she's tight.

While I don't think there should be a specific number as a limit, I definitely have to say that size does matter. But mostly, it depends on the make up of the team. I cheered at Hawaii Pacific, and was a flyer on small coed.. I weighed around 120.. At the semester, we split Small Coed and Large Coed into Smalls, Large, and All girl. After moving to all girl, I became a base because the other flyers were under 100, and there were no bases to put me up. Yes, I was a phenomenal flyer (yep, tooting my own horn).. I had more body control, better double downs, and more experience than half the girls flying, BUT we just didn't have the bases for me.. At the end of the day, I was too big to fly on that team. On small coed, while I was still one of the bigger flyers, I stayed in the air because we had the bases to keep me in the air, and my body control and ability to squeeze made me easy to lift. But on all girl, that was not gonna happen. So, as unfortunate as it is, size does matter, but it's all relative to the rest of the people on the team.

i had a flyer who was 135 lbs, i was 115-120 lbs at the time... she was so good at flying and holding her own weight she ended up being easier to put up than a 13 yr old girl. it's all about FORM

This is an old thread BUT: When i was in 6th grade, we had a 6th grade base, 5th grade base, me as a back spot, and a 9th grade flier who weighed about double us. She held all of her weight, i was able to one-man stunt her! I prefer big flyers who are tight over skinny loose flyers.

I think that anyone who is a reisonable size should be able to fly. I weigh 94lbs. and was told I was to fat to fly, but later at my new gym they say I am very light. It depends on how much you hold your weight.

It doesn't matter how heavy the flyer is. All they have to do is stay tight and hold up their own weight.

Back