All-Star How Many Days Out Of School......

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I asked this in the majors thread but It makes more sense here. Why is the majors held on a fri night with the banquet etc on thurs night if it's only a one night comp? A lot of these kids missed school thurs and fri. I know that some teams that have a very long flight would have missed school anyway but I'm just curious. I get that it has to be two days but why not sat night and sun afternoon?
Super Nationals takes place Saturday and Sunday. My guess is that for scheduling and space reasons they can't happen simultaneously. It's probably more financially beneficial for Jamfest to have a huge crowd there on Friday too, when they normally would only be there Saturday and Sunday. Again, just a guess.

this is so weird.. my high school could literally not care less..

Haha yes, that's our schools too. When we lived in Virginia Beach though it was less than 10 excused absences per year or you fail the grade. Obviously a legit medical issue with doctors note was different.

Last year (5th grade) between having shingles, Irish dance (St Patricks Day and competitions), and normal sicknesses, my child missed 22 days of school (10 days for the shingles, so it would have been 12 anyway). We had several doctors notes for the shingles episode, but everything else was just notes from me. They excused all of them and never said a word to me about 22 being too many days. :eek:

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just two Fridays this year. 1 for Cheersport Nationals (They are actually out of school the Monday after.) and American Superstarz in Myrtle Beach. We actually get notes from the gym to give to the school. I, on the other hand, took four vacation days around those two competitions. Friday to get there and Monday to recover from my cheer hangover :D

Zero. When we flew to cheersport last year it was over a holiday weekend. Summit we drove home to South Florida Sunday afternoon....This season we will just end up coming home VERY late from NCA I am guessing....and hopefully I pry them up for school....

I asked this in the majors thread but It makes more sense here. Why is the majors held on a fri night with the banquet etc on thurs night if it's only a one night comp? A lot of these kids missed school thurs and fri. I know that some teams that have a very long flight would have missed school anyway but I'm just curious. I get that it has to be two days but why not sat night and sun afternoon?
Panthers and Cheetahs compete at Majors then fly home early Saturday to compete at ACA for a World's Bid. I always assumed other teams did that as well. If Majors were on Saturday, they couldn't go for a bid this weekend.

this is so weird.. my high school could literally not care less..
I was in a great school in a not-so-great innercity district. I would imagine their other schools had bad issues with truancy so they adopted this policy for all 6 or so of the high schools in our district.

I actually had to withdrawal from school on Thursday and am having to finish my junior year online or else I wouldn't have received any credits for my any of my classes (which I have straight A's in) due to absences (all of which are cheer related).

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!GB

Wow--I get it if it's taken advantage of and work is not being done--but some of this is just crazy, especially medical emergencies not being excused. Thought my daughter's school was strict--geeze!

In my district you can miss up to 16.5 in high school, 18.5 for middle and 20 for elementary. Last year I missed 14 between cheer, ski trips and being sick

The most I ever missed for cheer was 4 days for UCA HS nationals, but I'm pretty sure they didn't count that against us because it was for a sport.

Wow--I get it if it's taken advantage of and work is not being done--but some of this is just crazy, especially medical emergencies not being excused. Thought my daughter's school was strict--geeze!
As crazy strict as it is, we always have the opportunity to make up the time at the end of the year. It's just time consuming. My sophomore and junior years I went over my allowed absences and made up my time, so I still received all my credits.

I live in Canada and last year I missed probably 5 days during my last year of high school. The school doesn't question it as long as I had parental permission to leave for a competitive sport. Honestly more kids here miss for hockey tournaments so a few days for cheer they didn't care. Also when I was in 6th grade I left school early every Tuesday and Thursday for competitive trampoline and the school was fine with that. However that meant I technically was never present for a single social studies class throughout grade 6. I still took all tests and did all assignments however. As long as you do your work schools here don't even care.

Super Nationals takes place Saturday and Sunday. My guess is that for scheduling and space reasons they can't happen simultaneously. It's probably more financially beneficial for Jamfest to have a huge crowd there on Friday too, when they normally would only be there Saturday and Sunday. Again, just a guess.
Makes sense. For some reason I drew a complete blank on the whole weekend and could not remember that super nationals take place at the same place and on the same weekend. It all just came back to me that this is how it always was. Oh boy lol I need some sleep.

Back