All-Star How Many Days Out Of School......

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Panthers and Cheetahs compete at Majors then fly home early Saturday to compete at ACA for a World's Bid. I always assumed other teams did that as well. If Majors were on Saturday, they couldn't go for a bid this weekend.
Thats a good point. I honestly never even realized teams did that.

Just curious how many days you or your child miss from school due to competitions? I think mine will miss 7 days total this year, possibly a few more---which seems like a lot to me---but they should be spread out ok. In the past I've just called her and her sis in sick because their school won't excuse the absence otherwise! How do your schools react and do you call them in sick or out of town? Man I would have loved to miss all that school when I was younger and get to go on little trips! I think it's time for this mom to have a "when I was your age" convo with them later. :)

I give advance notice that she will be missing school and have her collect and turn in the assignments before we leave. Our district considers it to be a sports activity so it is excused just like a football game or tennis match would be. I have to agree 7 days is alot...especially if they end up getting sick as my daughter did this year. I'm frustrated some of these competitions end so late on Sunday nights. I don't condone missing school after they get to Junior High, so i am struggling with this.

Pretty sure we have no limit on excused absences (includes being called in sick) I have already missed atleast 6 days this year and none for cheer yet and no one has said anything. They said i have vacation days or something but I will probably miss 8 and 11 if we go to the summit.

:cheering:So far, we'll miss 4 scheduled days this year. If we attend another away competition, it could rise to 6.

Kids on our level 5 team will miss some more days, since they got a worlds bid. :D:cheering:

I give advance notice that she will be missing school and have her collect and turn in the assignments before we leave. Our district considers it to be a sports activity so it is excused just like a football game or tennis match would be. I have to agree 7 days is alot...especially if they end up getting sick as my daughter did this year. I'm frustrated some of these competitions end so late on Sunday nights. I don't condone missing school after they get to Junior High, so i am struggling with this.
It definitely gets harder to miss days as they get older. I remember having to get a math tutor for my former cp when she was in 8th grade at one point to catch her up because our gym owner decided that UCA would be a great oppoprtunity to factor in some vacation time for her and her family, and made the gym go down Thursday morning and come back on late Monday night. The last few years have not been travel crazy for our gym, but then again we really don't go to the big comps.

Last year I think my kids missed 12 days for cheer - could have been 9 but we went to NCA and UCA which were back to back weekends, so rather than flying home we went right to Orlando. It was a lot of stress on the kids to keep up with their work (our schools will not give work ahead of time), and I ended up getting a letter from one of the schools saying they were going to report me to the court system, even though I had notified them in advance :confused:. This year I think the most they will miss for cheer is 5 plus 2 early dismissals. We are fortunate that school vacation is the week prior to Worlds weekend so we will only miss the Monday and Tuesday after Worlds.

Absences are no big deal at my school. Some are considered excused and some aren't but there's no punishment for unexcused absences. If you have decent grades they won't even say anything to you about it until you hit 26 missed days. I don't know anyone who's done that though so i'm not sure what happens from there.

At out school (our whole district actually) we just have to fill out an "excused form" which deals with like pre-arranged absences such as vacations. They don't mind vacations as long as it is like legit (no faking a vacation, if that makes sense). Especially since its for a sport, they won't care at all. BUT in P.E classes, if you are absent (excused AND unexcused absences) are a 3% drop in a grade. Luckily i'm not in P.E. second semester (when i have to miss school), so theres no problems for me. Theres the obvious Becca Bill (is that just in Washington?!) where if you miss 7 days unexcused in a month, your parents are sent to court i believe or 10 days (i think not 100% positive) in a month they also have to go to court and you lose credits for the class you miss/ or for all classes...

woah that was a lot of writing :oops:

In high school, we could miss 10 days of excused or unexcused absences and if you missed more than that you had to appeal for your credits with each teacher. Our attendance policy was done by class period. Like I had around seven or eight in my seventh hour (last class) but probably only two or three in my earlier classes due to orthodontist appointments and competitions. But most teachers would sign your appeal form as long as you put forth effort in class and were passing.

Most schools in Florida allow 15 absences before truancy takes in but my high school only allowed 5 (and all As and Bs in the particular class) if you're trying to exempt exams. So missing a day was fine, especially once senioritis kicked in, because I was never planning to exempt exams :rolleyes: (and never exempted one exam my entire high school career).

And last year I only missed 4 days because of cheer and could of stopped by UCF to use a college day to have it not count towards exemption but realized I was already over the 5 allowed :p

At my old high school a parent can excuse you for any reason, as often as desired. Senior year there's a set amount before you cant walk at graduation, but even that's a large amount. I missed more school for being tired than for cheer ever =\

Most schools in Florida allow 15 absences before truancy takes in but my high school only allowed 5 (and all As and Bs in the particular class) if you're trying to exempt exams. So missing a day was fine, especially once senioritis kicked in, because I was never planning to exempt exams :rolleyes: (and never exempted one exam my entire high school career).

And last year I only missed 4 days because of cheer and could of stopped by UCF to use a college day to have it not count towards exemption but realized I was already over the 5 allowed :p

omg i totally forgot when they use to let people be exempt from exams here in florida, i think that was back in middle school though, cant remember if they ever had that rule for when i was in high school, maybe for midterms.

I missed 40 something days my senior year of high school. I was an international officer for Key Club and that required a lot of traveling, but I was also competing at a high level in my sport and horse shows start on Wednesday..

They knew ahead of time what I was doing, but in the end, they took away my valedictorian title. :oops: I wouldn't have minded as much if the 2nd in line hadn't been my ex boyfriend, lol. It was ok- they could take my title but they couldn't take my class rank and 15 years later, no one cares! I would not change those experiences for anything.

I went to a small private school and luckily for me there was another girl a few years older than me that had missed a lot of school for horses so she paved the way for me and I never had to explain why the shows I was missing for were so important. The Key Club thing was new for them but they did sign something agreeing not to fail me before I took office.

Droplet misses some school for cheer.. And I always tell them the truth and they don't seem to have a problem with it. She's pretty young though, and I expect it to be more of an issue when she's older.

We get very lucky with our school calendar in that CP is only missing two 1/2 days of school. We got really lucky for Cheersport Atlanta in that she has a 1/2 day Thursday and no school Friday or Monday. Normally, she'd miss about 4 days for cheer. Her school has also been understanding. We have a good number of allstar cheerleaders at her school (it's K-8), including one more in her grade.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Its so interesting how much it really varies! So far CP has only missed 1 day but she will be missing at least 2 more for out of town comps coming up. If I tell them she is "sick" it is excused. If I am honest it will be unexcused and you can only have a few of those. And our family vacation in the fall already took up most of them.

Back