All-Star How Many Days Out Of School......

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

im interested to know how many days some of these level 5 athletes miss with all the traveling they do.
My daughter is on a level 5 team and she is only going to miss 6 days due to cheer. Jamfest Super Nationals and Cheerpsort land on holiday weekends so we are able to save two days. Her school has a saying five to stay alive. If you miss more than five days in a quarter your grade can drop a whole letter. My son who is on a level 4 will miss 6 days if his team goes to the summit. I have not noticed an increase in missed school days since my daughter reached level 3.

I can't believe how strict some of these school districts are! Maybe it was just my school district, or just my high school, but I missed probably 20 days a year at least in tennis tournaments, ski races, and cheer competitions, some of which were with the school teams but also all-star. As long as it wasn't 20 days in the same semester, there was no problem with credits. None of my teachers minded too much either, as long as I handed in assignments and wrote tests close to the date they were given.
March was by far the worst though. Between March break, Battle at the Beach, the end of ski races, and vacationing, I only went to school for 4 or 5 days all month during my last couple years.

Does anyone else fine scheduling conflicts with the big test dates? I have a competition on every ACT test day this semester....I'm having to take it in June!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Does anyone else fine scheduling conflicts with the big test dates? I have a competition on every ACT test day this semester....I'm having to take it in June!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It makes it somewhat more stressful, but you could take it at a school in whichever city you're competing in instead of Columbia. Since senior divisions are usually later it was never a huge problem making it to the actual comp, but I did have friends take it where we were competing in their warmups, grab lunch and change into a uni and head directly to team meetings/warmups.

The Fierce Board App!

I'm in the same county as @CEAisstronger and they honestly don't enforce those days anywhere but at our career center. Career center is a central school that all High schools in the county feed into which has classes that not many people take so they don't need to have these classes in every high school. (Classes like certain uncommon APs, cosmetology,etc) my bestfriend had 98s in two AP classes at Career Center, and got the flu one week and missed five days. She was given an administrative F for both classes for missing those days. At my actual school they started using a new system this year and unexcused/excused has no difference anymore, so when I'm absent I don't even bother with bringing in notes.
As for cheer I normally miss about 5-7 days. Last year I missed 3 for summit, 1 for TN comp, and 3 for two separate beach comps. This year we are going to Dallas and hopefully summit again so I'm seeing about the same ( no more beach comps ).

Schools may have a set number of days you can or cannot miss, and they may be lenient in their absence policies, but I think a bigger issue is if you/cp can catch up on the work missed. I know that when former cp and cp were younger, it was not as big of a deal but as they get older and their coursework is more demanding, it gets very stressful and difficult to catch up. Former cp is a junior in high school and her work load is unreal. If she was still cheering it would be very hard for her to miss many days. Cp is in eighth and seems to only be missing a few half days on Fridays this season, for which I am grateful.

@cheernerd5678 It's funny that you mention that about the testing dates conflicting with cheer comps - I will be away with cp for a comp when former cp takes her SATs in March, and we have a local comp the day she takes the ACTs in April. I thought about how hard it would be if she was still cheering and had to deal with that as well, but you do what you have to do!

Zero. When we flew to cheersport last year it was over a holiday weekend. Summit we drove home to South Florida Sunday afternoon....This season we will just end up coming home VERY late from NCA I am guessing....and hopefully I pry them up for school....

We flew back from NCA Nationals last year Sunday evening at 6:50 p.m., we are staying until Monday morning this year. For one thing, like everyone else, we want to watch the arena on Sunday, but basically turning in the room key at the hotel at 5:30 a.m., and her awards were before noon, made for a long, long day just sitting and waiting for a bus to take us to airport. Exhausted.

She will miss probably four days for cheer, two are for NCA Nationals traveling on Friday and Monday.

I used to miss less than a handful of days. As a L5, I went to Cheersport, Jamfest, American Championships in FL, and Worlds. With the exception of Worlds, we would fly out Friday afternoon so that I could at least make a half day of school.

Schools may have a set number of days you can or cannot miss, and they may be lenient in their absence policies, but I think a bigger issue is if you/cp can catch up on the work missed. I know that when former cp and cp were younger, it was not as big of a deal but as they get older and their coursework is more demanding, it gets very stressful and difficult to catch up. Former cp is a junior in high school and her work load is unreal. If she was still cheering it would be very hard for her to miss many days. Cp is in eighth and seems to only be missing a few half days on Fridays this season, for which I am grateful.

@cheernerd5678 It's funny that you mention that about the testing dates conflicting with cheer comps - I will be away with cp for a comp when former cp takes her SATs in March, and we have a local comp the day she takes the ACTs in April. I thought about how hard it would be if she was still cheering and had to deal with that as well, but you do what you have to do!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Androidluckily I already took the ACT so I'm just trying to bring my score up! I figure I can take it first semester of senior year too if I don't get a better score in June but let's hope I do better so I can be done!

Our limit 3 missed days per term! The school has had to decreased the allotted absences to be in line with other high schools' policies.

I don't like the policy this strict (who would?) because it forces kids who are ill to come to school... and get everyone else at school sick! Yuck.

The Fierce Board App!

Back