High School How Often Is Too Often For Tumbling Classes?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The question has no easy or definitive answer. But here's my advice:

For Middle School (competitive): During the summer months I would have them attend team tumbling 1-2 times per week plus practicing skills for 30 minutes or so during your practices (provided you have proper equipment and coach is knowledgeable and capable of spotting said skills). Once they have games start, 1 time per week max. I think it's plenty enough to have two games a week, at least 1 practice a week, and 1 day of tumbling. THEY ARE KIDS, THEY NEED DOWN TIME.

For Middle school (non-competitive): 1 time a week is plenty

For High School (competitive): During the summer months have them attend team tumbling 2x a week (an hour at a time) then practice skills at practice as well. But again, once games start (basketball season specifically) 1x a week is plenty. Perhaps increase sessions a few weeks before competition but at the same time you don't want the athletes to throw a skill and injury themselves either.

For High School (non-competitive): Same as competitive but only 1x per week once games start.

Biggest thing I want everyone to understand is that while cheerleading is very competitive and requires training, it's not the only thing expected of these kids. We are talking middle and high school girls. They should have down time to spend with friends, watch t.v. and most importantly STUDY! Over doing it at such a young age only makes kids more prone to injuries (over use) or burn out (over training with no balance in life).

If you are a coach, talk to your athletic director, the parents, the athletes, tumbling coaches and determine. After a decision has been made be sure you are willing to be flexible and cut down if it's too much on the athletes. If you are an athlete and feel there is too many tumbling practices or not enough then do this:
Too much:
Talk to your coach and parents
Too little:

I think tumble classes twice a week is more than enough if the athlete also has practice a few times a week. My cp had a team mate who was in the gym every day of the week (6+ days a week) and she started experiencing a lot of injuries. Sure she gained skills quickly but her body couldn't handle it. Ultimately I say listen to your body and it'll let you know when you've had enough.

Back