All-Star How Old Were You When You Threw Your First Back Handspring? Full?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't even remember getting my standing handspring and tuck.. I've had them since as long as I can remember haha
And I got my full when I was 10 while I was in gymnastics and then my double a year later.

In gymnastics I was never spotted on floor tumbling.. our coach would spot us on the trampoline, we'd perfect it on the trampoline, then move to the tumble track, and then throw a sting mat of the floor and go for it. I never remember falling on a full or not making it around because of the progressions we went through and my body just knew exactly what to do. I wish cheerleading was more like that..

My daughter does lessons with a gymnastics coach for that reason! She is amazing and works on technique!

My daughter was...

6 BHS
7 RO BHS Tuck

She is new to the RO BHS Tuck and still nervous that she is going to "Bust". Wonder how long that will take to go away.....

She is new to the RO BHS Tuck and still nervous that she is going to "Bust". Wonder how long that will take to go away.....

When she starts working her layout :p

my cp
bhs- 6
standing tuck-7
full-8
3 to a full- 9
punch through to a full-9
whip to a full -9
robhs double- 9
I would say 9 was a good year; can't wait to see what 10 has in store for her! She sounds pretty awesome!

handspring- 5th grade
my coach wouldn't let me leave practice until i did it.
ro hdsp tuck- 7th grade
ro tuck- fresh in college (I was so scared of those darn things lol)
running layout- 17 never competed it though
I tried a full my senior year and landed in a bridge over my spotter...never tried that again lol!

It took me 2 years to get handspring... but everything else came really easy. The bad part was I mostly taught my self soI had rally bad habits...
Handspring- 11
Standing tuck- 11
Tripple toe back- 11
Layout- 12
Started trying to teach myself a full off the tumble track- 13
Then when I was 15 I had to re-learn EVERYTHING right down to my roundoff because of my self-taught-whipped-jerked-choppy-ugly-looked-like-I-was-going-to-land-on-my-head-tumbling

6- backhandspring
9- running tuck
10- specialties to tuck
12-standing tuck
15- full on tramp and then i currently got injured in feb. soo i'll be back in the gym soon!

handspring - 16.
something funky is going on with my back though because recently i've been basically doing standing halfs when i attempt it by myself so im working with a spot again.

I was coaching a girl who had the same issue happen last year, and working on the trampoline really helped her out. :)

Julianna started cheering at 6 1/2 yo
bhs and robhs 7yo
multiple hs 8yo

Marinah
bhs 5yo Just last week!
Marinah is not currently cheering so she only works on tumbling at open gym so I don't expect a super speedy progression.

im so mental when it comes to tumbling.... im 17, been cheering since i as 12, and i dont tumble at all. it took me about 3 months to get my spring to where i could throw it by myself if i wanted. my coach let me work tucks and I got it in one open gym -__- too bad im afraid to throw my skills.

I started in gymnastics at 2 and threw my first backhandspring at 5. My mom pulled me out of gymnastics when I was in the 5th grade so I started cheering. Cheer was not serious until high school where we were required to tumble. Got tuck at the age of 15. Then worked on full senior year and got it summer after high school. Really wish I would have stayed in gymnastics. I had the technique just no one to really coach me...especially since our elementary and middle school coach really didn't know anything. AllStar cheer was not popular in the Rock Hill/Charlotte area when I was younger.

Back