How Tall Is Too Tall To Fly In Allstar Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 21, 2016
My daughter just hit a growth spurt and is really stressing out that she's getting too tall.
She's 5'3, one of the tallest in our gym. She's never based a day in her life and doesn't want to. She's 13, too young for IOC5. Is she too tall?

If you search there are many threads about this topic. Posters tend to strongly disagree. In the end it is up to your Coaches to make the decision. Best wishes with everything.

Last edited:
What age level is the team and now old are most of the girls?

If a senior team where most of the girls are truly 14 and up, no, IMO 5'3" is not too tall to fly provided she is generally slender and a skilled flyer w/ good control of her body and above average flexibility (i.e. brings something to the technique-level of the routine above and beyond what a kid who's primary talent is "being small" just can't).

However, if she doesn't have well above average flying skills and is basically depending on the fact that she's always/only been a flyer, I don't think 5'3" is going to be small enough to guarantee a flyer postion even on a senior team. On a junior-aged team, I think it would be even harder.

Last edited:
As @FlexyTumblerMom said it will depend on team composition, ability, age group etc... but can add that I know a girl on s senior coed team that is now a base and she is shorter than your CP.

On a related note, if she is a fly or die cheerleader she may want to consider either learning how to levitate or try a different sport. Reality is not all flyers will remain flyers.

**Urban dictionary may change the game for naming teams**

Last year we had flyers that were 5' 7" and 5' 3", but some bases were 5' 2" and 5' 3". It depends on the group and team.

It's not always about height. There are some taller but slender and flexible athletes who make great flyers. There are also some athletes who aren't even 5' tall who are basing on very competitive worlds teams even though they have never based before. It is what looks good in the air and hits the score sheet for technique and difficulty.
Your daughter is not too young for an international team. The rule is that if you turn 14 at any point during the year you are eligible for an international team (so she could compete effective Jan 1). However, many gyms like their International teams to have older athletes on it.
If your daughter is the "fly or die" type her days of competitive cheer may be coming to an end.

Tbh, as the parent, I will start preparing my child for the world of diversity, unlimited possibilities and open- mindedness. What happen is, your child have reached a fork in a road... What path she decides to take on that road can mean a lot in other life decisions... Good Luck in making that decision. ..

However, as a realist and math nut, the choice of riding/dying as a flyer or that road as learning to base/back reads like this, as a flyer on a team that maxes out at 20, there are usually 4 or 5 stunts groups, so in essence, flyers position needed on average is 5/20 or 25% and this same team will need at least 10 bases, which when I tabulate that 10/20=50% and backspots needed for this team of 20, I am guessing 5/20 or 25%... Looking at the totality of the situation, I think advising your child to diversify her skill set will provide her with more opportunities to play...js

Last edited:
As lot of other posters have said, it really just depends on the team. We've had taller flyers on some of our teams, as well as shorter ones. Taller flyers can look beautiful in the air!
Not everyone is going to fly. Even athletes that have done nothing but fly will not always fly. Being able to have skills in all areas of stunting is an amazing asset! Not all gyms have ample amounts of talented flyers, so if your daughter is a good flyer she may be able to fly no matter her height.
But you also have to trust your coaches to make the right decision for all the athletes on each team.

Yes, yes and yes... So important to prepare your child- through cheer to be open minded, understanding that what's best for the team may not always be her first choice. I would start to reinforce her talents as a cheerleader, not a flyer... (Just in case) I find many flyers are reluctant to change positions out of fear of failure of another position. Flying is all they know, it's familiar, comfortable to them and when that comfort is taken away... They tend to feel a little misplaced and weak since they have always been known as "the little ones"...

Last edited:
My CP is almost 13 and according to her doctor has likely maxed out height at 5'1". She has always based or back spotted. She is basing senior 2 this year and all the flyers are shorter than her. Frankly, "I don't want to" when a flyer is asked to base doesn't go over well at our gym and often gets you a spot as a nugget. While I don't think it's a given that she will have to base, I think you need to help your CP start being open to doing something other than flying, or she will be severely limiting her opportunities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My CP is almost 13 and according to her doctor has likely maxed out height at 5'1". She has always based or back spotted. She is basing senior 2 this year and all the flyers are shorter than her. Frankly, "I don't want to" when a flyer is asked to base doesn't go over well at our gym and often gets you a spot as a nugget. While I don't think it's a given that she will have to base, I think you need to help your CP start being open to doing something other than flying, or she will be severely limiting her opportunities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same, I was on junior for 2 years and I based/back spotted but when I moved to seniors I just kept backing and basing because it was what I was good at. Ftr I'm 5'0".

Height doesn't determine if one can fly, their ability to fly and hold themselves up in the air does.

Coaches don't want just top girls nowadays, routines and skills call for versatility on the mat. If you top, you better also know how to base, same thing going the other way.

You as the mom can really dictate how this is going to go. There is nothing wrong with a flyer "growing" out of the position and learning to base. Its natural. Its when the parents make a big deal out of it that the kids feels like they have failed or will only be successful if they stay in the one role. Being a base is just as important as a flyer - more so when you think about it. My cp was excited to finally have smaller people on the team to base and loves making her flyer look good in the air. Shes barely 5ft 1 but a powerhouse. As her parents we are proud of her and tell her often. She has loved every minute of this season. We talked going into tryouts that she may base, she already figured she would bc of the make up of the team. The emphasis is on the team not what she does on it. Now shes a true overall athlete. She can do everything a coach would ask of her. To me, way more valuable then "only a flyer."

Back