All-Star How To Calm Your Nerves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
I was just wondering, what ya'll do, when you get nervous, for example before a comp or try outs... I haven't competed in a while but will be competing this season. I also never had to go through a try out before but will have to face one very soon.

I've been cheering for 10 years now. But right now, I'm a a loss as to what I could do to calm my nerves!
I keep watching cheer videos and and stuff like that but it's not helping.
I really don't know how try outs are going to go, if I'm already this nervous now! Argh! :confused:

Nerves are part of it! Don't fight them, accept them for what they are and work through it. Coaches know that people are nervous at tryouts and take it into consideration. For me as a coach, a positive attitude goes a long way. Make sure you know your stuff. Practice tryout dances, counts, etc before you return to tryouts so that you're comfortable with everything you have to perform. Ask questions when you don't understand something; it shows that you are listening and are willing to learn what you don't know. SMILE when you're up there.

Most importantly, be yourself. Good luck :)

everytime before i tumble, i take a deep breath in, until no more air can come in, youll feel it in your chest. then slowly let it out. blink when you let it out. that always helps me. good luck :)

I was just wondering, what ya'll do, when you get nervous, for example before a comp or try outs... I haven't competed in a while but will be competing this season. I also never had to go through a try out before but will have to face one very soon.

I've been cheering for 10 years now. But right now, I'm a a loss as to what I could do to calm my nerves!
I keep watching cheer videos and and stuff like that but it's not helping.
I really don't know how try outs are going to go, if I'm already this nervous now! Argh! :confused:

Breathe.

The nerves and jitters you feel beforehand is adrenaline being created by your body to give you the strength needed for the upcoming task. Harness the adrenaline, breathe to relax your mind and to focus in. You know what to do after than.

off topic but: Are you trying out for the national team??

I don't have good advice for this question bc i am a nervous wreck everytime i have to compete! I thought i would get used to it the more comps i attend but man was i wrong :D

off topic but: Are you trying out for the national team??

I don't have good advice for this question bc i am a nervous wreck everytime i have to compete! I thought i would get used to it the more comps i attend but man was i wrong :D

Yes, I'm trying out for the national allgirl team and I know, we got the stunting part down. Tumbling is, what we lack. But even when I know, we have the skills to hit the stunts, I get all shaky, when I have to do it under pressure.

I really like the breathing and taking the adrenaline to use it in my favour idea. I've always tried to suppress the nerves and act as though I'm not nervous but that never seemed to work. I just felt really bad and insecure, even if our stunts hit.
It's a feeling I really hate because I can't control it (yeah, control freak much here ^^).

Using it and not fighting it... that seems actually realistic.

Yes, I'm trying out for the national allgirl team and I know, we got the stunting part down. Tumbling is, what we lack. But even when I know, we have the skills to hit the stunts, I get all shaky, when I have to do it under pressure.

I really like the breathing and taking the adrenaline to use it in my favour idea. I've always tried to suppress the nerves and act as though I'm not nervous but that never seemed to work. I just felt really bad and insecure, even if our stunts hit.
It's a feeling I really hate because I can't control it (yeah, control freak much here ^^).

Using it and not fighting it... that seems actually realistic.

BEst of luck guys!!! We are planning on trying out next year! Just think of it as a practice, the judges aren't there to scare you, they are going to see your potential and what you can do ,so take it easy it's gonna be great!!!

BEst of luck guys!!! We are planning on trying out next year! Just think of it as a practice, the judges aren't there to scare you, they are going to see your potential and what you can do ,so take it easy it's gonna be great!!!

Thank you!!

Some nerves are okay, but too many are not. I have severe anxiety and competitions are usually a wreck for me, but this year I'm trying something different and so far it's going well! Every time I start to think ahead to competing, I stop myself from thinking about it. I just think one thing at a time (just like in the routine, worry about one part of your life at a time). Then when it's time to compete, have a positive attitude and EXPECT to hit the routine. Then, really just have fun out there doing what you love to do. I did this our first competition and it made me remember why I do cheerleading and made me re-fall in love with the sport. A positive attitude is everything!

How on earth can I even be that anticipating and nervous for A WHOLE WEEK? Really, I'm amazed... but I'm really trying to accept it and breathe and look trust in our stuntgroup. Last practice is tonight.

I just wanted to say thank you for all your tips! They really really helped me! And my stuntgroup actually even made it into the german national team!! I am beyond amazed and I hope to see as many of you at worlds next year as possible!! :D

-Take A LOT of deep breathes while I am at the competition
-Watch a movie the night before
-Eat food (but keep it healthy...fruit, veggies, yogurt, granola bars, etc
-Stay busy,walk around a lot to keep your mind off things!

These are really weird, but both work.
Curl your toes as long as you can, then slowly let them go.
Close your eyes. Take your hand and grab your nose. Then imagine you're pulling all of your worries out of your nose as you slowly pull your hand away. (I had an old teammate tell me this, and it works everytime.)

Everyone does something different to help them calm their nerves, what works for me is deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation which is just finding areas of your body that are tense and tensing them up and then relaxing them to let your body know how it feels to be relaxed. It might sound weird but it really works. I am a sport and exercise psychology major so this is like all I learn about in school, it has really helped me since I am always stressed out.

Back