High School How To Get Guys To Try-out For Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is your HS squad Co-Ed?

• Total voters
Jan 28, 2012
Hi! My HS cheer team is comprised of all girls and we're trying to get more guys to try-out. In the past years there have only been three boys to do cheer. Boys tend do think that it's "gay" or whatever and they think they'll have to dance and do EVERYTHING girls do, but we tell them they don't, mostly all they would do it help with the cheers and stunt, but they're still not convinced. Any ideas? Thannks!:)

Most school guy cheerleaders and AS guy cheerleaders are different. I would suggest show them a video of UCA college nationals. It would be much easier if you had a guy coach IMO. Are you close to any colleges that have guys? You could go to their gym to watch them practice.

Teach some boys how to toss. I've found that once they catch feet they catch the fever.
Once, yeeeears ago, one of my teams hosted a "practice" where we each brought a guy to do stunts. We made them feel so big and strong lol. 2 of them joined after that : )

Def show them highlights from teams like UK, Morehead, UofL. Then possibly bring in a co-ed college team at your school to do a performance... Take this in combination with the work of your girls (flirting) You should be ready to recruit some guys.

I was the first guy to ever cheer for my high school, and since I've graduated they havnt had any more. I did do all the dances and things girls did though, because that's my style.

Two of my fellow cheerleaders on my college team recruited their football players in high school to cheer with them at Nationals (they never had to cheer at any games, just stunt in competitions).. so you could adverstise something like that.. the guys more worried about their masculinity might appeal to that.

You could also show some videos of college and high school coed squads (georgia has some good coed high school squad routines on youtube) and see what they think.

As a guy myself, and the father of a former HS cheerleader, I think it's a great idea to recruit more boys for the team. I agree with the above posts that the best way to do it would be to show top level videos. You could have a get-together with prospective recruits and show them several. I think attitudes are changing quickly about boys in cheer and it adds a lot to the incredible energy that many teams already exhibit.

One of the schools in our area has something called "white guard", which is an all boys group under cheerleading. It's a way for them not to be called "cheerleaders", but the boys learn to stunt and tumble with the girls in addition to running the flags at football games, doing skits at pep rallies, and throwing t-shirts/etc. into the stands. They don't wear cheer uniforms (they have white polos with the school logo instead), so it doesn't scare off so many kids that perhaps are interested in cheer, but don't want to be made fun of in high school. They do attend camp with the girls though to learn stunts properly! It's a way to introduce boys into the sport without them having to dive head first. That being said, the boys can still tryout for cheerleading as well, if they want to be included in the jumps/dance/cheer portion of the sport also.

It's an interesting concept, that has worked well for their school.

Here's an example of the school district I was talking about from a couple of years ago. The "guard" are the guys in polos that are in the back until stunts:
They've improved the guys stunting and tumbling a lot since they started the program.... in this video it's still a bit janky.

at my school actually at both of my schools, boys were banned from being on the team at all

I actually cheered in high school on the comp team with one of the boys from Orlando Allstar Royals...after that other boys started to join...we were the trendsetters...mostly you just gotta have one boy start the flow

The fall of my sophomore year was the only time I cheered on an All-Girl high school team. The two boys we got that winter played football and would watch us cheer and thought it looked cool. Since then, we've recruited more boys and people would actually come to games to cheer the boys on. Our football coach loved the boys cheering cuz it kept them in shape. Advertise an open gym or something along those lines. If you tell boys they can learn how to do "flips" and stuff, they'll come.

Back