High School Hs Cheer Transition

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 8, 2014
Okay, so I have done all star cheer for three years. My dad is making me quit all star because it is year round and it interferes with hs track (I'm on varsity track) So as a last resort to continue cheer, I have decided to do hs cheer (I'm on varsity). I haven't started practices yet because I was on vacation. But I don't know what to expect from hs cheer. I would like for it to have a bit of an all star feel to it, like adding difficult stunts and stuff. But it is obviously out of my control. And since I am transitioning straight from all star there are some turn offs for me. I absolutely hate sideline cheer I am not looking forward to football games, also dead mat. I find it very difficult to tumble on dead mat. And if anyone could send some advice to deal with these things that would be great. Im just nervous I'm not gonna like hs cheer. Any advice is greatly appreciated ☺️

Is your high school team competitive? It is hard to generalize high school cheer because every program is so different. The team I coach is highly competitive and we have a lot of girls in our area who leave their All Stars gyms to cheer high school. Most people coming over from all star will initially say they don't enjoy sideline but once they get into the season they have a lot of fun! Dead mat is never any easy transition but with some skills the spring floor doesn't make much of a difference (IE Standing tuck or standing bhs). My suggestion is to keep your technique and you will be fine!

Depends on your schools cheer program. Mine was very competitive, we did difficult stunts/tumbling etc, and we always sorta pushed sideline cheering off to the side. But a lot of schools are the opposite.

The best you can do is go into it with an open mind! Unfortunately the one thing you won't be able to try and change the hard floor tumbling, but it will just make you better in the end :)

1. Every high school program is different.

2. I coach a competitive HS team. Let me be the first to tell you that it is not easy peasy to get used to. HS cheer is difficult in a different way, as you're working on stunts, cheering in stunts, memorizing counts, while at the same time, memorizing words. The focus is also on CLEAN. Yes sure, you can whip through to a full, but is it clean?

3. I'd suggest taking privates to familiarize yourself with "dead floor" tumbling. I've seen some girls who I know were last pass for a Level 4 team eat mat on a standing BHS on the basketball floor. It takes some getting used to. I'd suggest starting now. Also, this is valuable experience if you plan to cheer in college, because your college tryouts will NOT be on spring floor.

4. It's easy to come into a new team and be "that girl who constantly talks about how she was on all stars." Don't be THAT girl. No one likes her. Know that you're not the only all star kid who cheers HS and that it does not make you better than your teammates. Your HS cheer experience will be much more enjoyable if you come in open to learning new things instead of criticizing your school cheer program. Be a team player.

5. Don't be the "I hate sideline" whiner. That annoys everyone and will get you benched because no one likes a whiner. That's part of the package deal of cheering HS and if you don't like it, you should probably take a season off.

That's my only advice. Know that you are not somehow better than your HS teammates and you're off to a good start. Enjoy yourself!

Is your high school team competitive? It is hard to generalize high school cheer because every program is so different. The team I coach is highly competitive and we have a lot of girls in our area who leave their All Stars gyms to cheer high school. Most people coming over from all star will initially say they don't enjoy sideline but once they get into the season they have a lot of fun! Dead mat is never any easy transition but with some skills the spring floor doesn't make much of a difference (IE Standing tuck or standing bhs). My suggestion is to keep your technique and you will be fine!
Depends on your schools cheer program. Mine was very competitive, we did difficult stunts/tumbling etc, and we always sorta pushed sideline cheering off to the side. But a lot of schools are the opposite.

The best you can do is go into it with an open mind! Unfortunately the one thing you won't be able to try and change the hard floor tumbling, but it will just make you better in the end :)
1. Every high school program is different.

2. I coach a competitive HS team. Let me be the first to tell you that it is not easy peasy to get used to. HS cheer is difficult in a different way, as you're working on stunts, cheering in stunts, memorizing counts, while at the same time, memorizing words. The focus is also on CLEAN. Yes sure, you can whip through to a full, but is it clean?

3. I'd suggest taking privates to familiarize yourself with "dead floor" tumbling. I've seen some girls who I know were last pass for a Level 4 team eat mat on a standing BHS on the basketball floor. It takes some getting used to. I'd suggest starting now. Also, this is valuable experience if you plan to cheer in college, because your college tryouts will NOT be on spring floor.

4. It's easy to come into a new team and be "that girl who constantly talks about how she was on all stars." Don't be THAT girl. No one likes her. Know that you're not the only all star kid who cheers HS and that it does not make you better than your teammates. Your HS cheer experience will be much more enjoyable if you come in open to learning new things instead of criticizing your school cheer program. Be a team player.

5. Don't be the "I hate sideline" whiner. That annoys everyone and will get you benched because no one likes a whiner. That's part of the package deal of cheering HS and if you don't like it, you should probably take a season off.

That's my only advice. Know that you are not somehow better than your HS teammates and you're off to a good start. Enjoy yourself!

Thank you for all of your advice! I really appreciate it. And yes, my school cheer team is competitive. I hope that it works out. Thanks again guys!

Go in with a clear mind and think of it as a fresh start to cheer. It won't be the same, but that doesn't mean it won't be amazing! Also, don't sell football games short. Cheering underneath the lights on Friday Nights in front of your school is such a wonderful feeling. As long as your team stays active throughout the game, you won't get bored. You said your team was competitive, and coming from experience, competitive HS teams usually throw in their skills and perform at games. Towards the end of football we run our entire routine!

Coming from an all star background, I am sure your coach and teammates are excited to have you. I'm a Varsity HS coach and I really appreciate what my all stars bring to practices- whether it is a suggestion on nailing a difficult stunt or their tumbling. Try and give back the same excitement. :)

As a coach, I say come into it with enthusiasm but understand it's not all star. A lot of focus is put on gameday cheers, sidelines, etc. But that's what is the best difference. Sidelines allow you to cheer, have fun, and it be lower pressure. School spirit is a must and as others have said don't be that girl that is always "Well in all star cheer we did this" or "all star cheer is harder". Whether it's all star cheer or hs cheer they are equally hard but in different ways. Don't get frustrated with learning so many sidelines and cheers as that's a big change from all star, just keep working at it. If the coach asks for suggestions on stunts, don't be afraid to offer up some ideas but understand that the stunts you can do in All star may not be legal for HS. If you go into the experience with an open mind and eagerness to take on a new challenge then I think you will find just as much enjoyment out of hs cheer as you did with All star cheer. Good luck!!

First off, change your attitude. Going in with the mindset you have now will make you hate every minute of it.

Dead mat tumbling isn't that bad. Learning and gaining skills with your new teammates will be fun and if you're successful you will get to do difficult stuff. Don't think of all star and school cheer being on the same plane, they are different beasts and each have their own positives. Find those and you'll have a great season.

Dead mat isn't bad at all. I actually prefer it over the spring floor.

Back