All-Star Huge Cheer Decision!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2010
Okay, I have had a back injury for about 7 or 8 months. i found out that I had 2 stress fractures in my lower back! I had to literally do nothing and just rest my back for those 7 or 8 months. I couldn't exercise OR cheerlead. I have been an allstar cheerleader for about 9 years and I had to stop! But now, i am basically healed and my physical therapy sessions end in about 3 weeks. My doctor says when i am done physical therapy, it is my choice whether or not to return to cheerleading. However, if my back starts to act up again, i can never cheerlead again! I have no idea what to do and I need some opinions!!! thanks!

Why not try it? It looks like you have two options: try to go back and possibly have to stop, OR dont do it at all. I think the first option is better because youll never know until you try! Ease into it. Dont go back in expecting to be doing the same skills at the same intensity level. If you were throwing fulls, start back with tucks and layouts. Have someone spot you. Focus on your form so that your back doesnt suffer anymore. Tumble on your TOES and ABSORB landings, and if you base, hold the weight in your legs, not your lower back (which means dont stick your butt out when you stunt :) )Keep doing some physical therapy exercises that your PT gave you. Ive had stress fractures, and i suffered because i didnt take a break. Good luck, hopefully you will be able to return with little problem!

Okay, I have had a back injury for about 7 or 8 months. i found out that I had 2 stress fractures in my lower back! I had to literally do nothing and just rest my back for those 7 or 8 months. I couldn't exercise OR cheerlead. I have been an allstar cheerleader for about 9 years and I had to stop! But now, i am basically healed and my physical therapy sessions end in about 3 weeks. My doctor says when i am done physical therapy, it is my choice whether or not to return to cheerleading. However, if my back starts to act up again, i can never cheerlead again! I have no idea what to do and I need some opinions!!! thanks!

I would love to give you a profound answer that would help but the truth is ....only you know. It's your body and your life and you know what you can and can't do. If you are a believer...I would pray about it...don't stress...your answer will come...:) Good luck and take care:)

I'm sorry but I am gonna give you an answer that you don't want to hear, only bc I had a similar situation. It is your BACK, and injury to your back could have LIFELONG consequences. Please listen to your doctor and DO NOT RISK it. It is honestly not worth risking your future life. There are other avenues such as coaching that could help fulfill your all-star itch.

If your doctor has given you the green light to go back to cheerleading then you are healthy enough to go for it. If your back acts up again and you can't cheer again well then you are in the same situation as you are now.

If your doctor didn't want you to go back he would have told you... He said it is your choice... After physical therapy 95% of people are stronger in that area they were hurt. B/C the conditioning that physical therapy gave you you should be fine to go back but always do your conditioning. I had a girl come back this past year from the same thing and she is stronger now than ever and never complains about her back now b/c she keeps it strong! Good luck with your decision and know your doctor would have told you NO, but he didn't

thank you so much everyone! All of your opinions definitely help me in making my decision! I appreciate all of your help!! I have been praying through this whole experience and trying my best not to stress! I'm just taking it day by day. If I choose to not go back, I will absolutely coach! However, I am leaning more towards getting back into it slowly and building back up to where I was!

In my experience with injuries (sprained ankle that ended my tumbling career when i was 14), I did NOT do my proper excercises and strengthing, and to this DAY (i'm 27) i still have issues. Once I had the green light i continued doing trampoline which was less impact for a few more years, but if i had known then what i know now i would have taken better care of my injury.

All the best !

I personally had a stress fracture in my lower back last summer and I took 8 weeks off and literally did NOTHING. However ths didn't help and I still deal with the pain today. But it really isn't as hard as you think unless you are a flyer, scorpians are the main things that hurt my back. If you take time off in between the seasons or like a week off of tumbling every once in a while then it is not a bad pain and I can deal with it. I also am obsessed with cheerleading though, so I could never quit. Hope that helps a little bit though! :)

I guess the answer to your question is that it's up to you and your body. I know kids that have come back from nasty injuries with alot of success. These are kids that I thought would never be quite the same. They made a liar out of me.

If you don't at least try to go back will you regret it later? You don't want to look back after you age out and say "man I wish I had just tried it again..."
I agree with @Iamshannon go back at a lower level, at least for this season to build back up your skills slowly.

Go for it! If you were really in no position to cheer anymore, your doctor would not be letting you risk it. You're probably stronger than before, and if cheering makes you really happy then you've got nothing to lose! :)

this same thing happened to me !!! but i tumbled even when i wasnt supposed to and my physical therapy wasnt bad at all but you should definitely try for it again! i started really slow and kept working up my skills again and im still not totally done working up to where i was... and also on days that it hurts and you dont want to hurt it tumbling, definitely condition so when you tumble it'll be stronger and easier to throw!

Back