All-Star Hypnotheraphy....?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know. I think when I first went I believed in it more. As time went on I think I stopped believing in it. So I don't think it would have helped. I think what made it worse was that my coaches and parents had put so much pressure on me to get my tumbling back.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
I can definitely relate to the pressure. I've definitely noticed that I've kept my skills longer for the time I wasn't on team (in between the end of the season and time in between tryouts). So I definitely think that the pressure of being on team and needing the skills intimidates me a little bit, so I definitely think that if I were to do hypnotherapy it might help me come through it.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me!

I can definitely relate to the pressure. I've definitely noticed that I've kept my skills longer for the time I wasn't on team (in between the end of the season and time in between tryouts). So I definitely think that the pressure of being on team and needing the skills intimidates me a little bit, so I definitely think that if I were to do hypnotherapy it might help me come through it.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me!
No problem! I know mental blocks are so confusing and hard to explain to other people. Because I know for me, I know I can do it and I know I can land it but it's like my mind or body forgets how to do it. Just make sure you find a place where you are comfortable throwing it and keep doing it over and over until you can throw it no problem. Then move on to the next surface.

No problem! I know mental blocks are so confusing and hard to explain to other people. Because I know for me, I know I can do it and I know I can land it but it's like my mind or body forgets how to do it. Just make sure you find a place where you are comfortable throwing it and keep doing it over and over until you can throw it no problem. Then move on to the next surface.

Yes, they definitely are confusing and difficult. As of last practice, I'm not even throwing anywhere. :( Tomorrow is my tumbling class and I'm really trying to focus on getting myself to throw it somewhere. I'm the same way where I know I can do it and I know I can land and I can mentally visualize myself doing it perfectly, I can even visualize myself doing round off multiples and everything, but I just FREEZE the second I'm about to go.... I freeze even worse on the floor too... and I don't even think or anything, I just completely freeze. No matter how BADLY I want to throw it, I just freeze... Honestly, I'm (half and half) half okay with having no tumbling, because I'm better at other things than just that, but at the same time, I truly honestly want my tumbling Soooooooo badly. And I know that I'm letting my teammates and coaches and myself down by not doing it, I just don't know how to get myself to do it... :(

I'm a psychology minor and along with this I've known athletes who have tried this. It's not a permanent fix to get over a block. Hypnosis or anything along those lines is really a mind over matter thing. Meaning if you believe you can do it, you will.

I have a CP who used to block everytime she got a new skill. After about six weeks the third time, we went to a hypnotist who specialized in sports. It helped my CP although once a year like clockwork she would have to go back for a repeat visit. She used to call her a magic doctor because she could always fix her. My CP also had tapes she would listen to which reinforced the hypnosis. Knock on wood, she has now gone two years and two new skills(Arabian and double ) without a block. So maybe she outgrew it???? But I would definitely recommend it!!!!!! :)

I have a CP who used to block everytime she got a new skill. After about six weeks the third time, we went to a hypnotist who specialized in sports. It helped my CP although once a year like clockwork she would have to go back for a repeat visit. She used to call her a magic doctor because she could always fix her. My CP also had tapes she would listen to which reinforced the hypnosis. Knock on wood, she has now gone two years and two new skills(Arabian and double ) without a block. So maybe she outgrew it???? But I would definitely recommend it!!!!!! :)

Thank you for sharing your CP's experience with me :)

I know a girl whose mom made her do it and it didn't work for her. She was always saying how dumb it was and how she hated going. I think she saw it as degrading instead of letting it be helpful. So I think that if you really take your sessions seriously and put forth the effort then you can see some results!

Let me ask you- how many sessions did it take before your CP would start throwing again?

Two or three and it was a progression. The first day she would do it with a spot. The next day the coach stood next to her but didn't spot. The next practice, The coach just kept taking one step back until she was off the floor. If you have a trampoline that helped too. Most important thing is try not to get frustrated, your CP is already beating themselves up and if you are upset too it's 100 times more pressure. :)

@12stepCheermom -- forgot to ask you, do you know how many sessions the athlete did hypnotherapy for before it started to help her? and is it something she had to do continuously, or was she able to stop the sessions after she started to progress again?
Haha I just realized its you not your CP :) another tip that helped my daughter is for running tumbling try power hurdle then 2 step before 4 step. She felt like is she could control the beginning she was more likely to go for it. For weeks she would do power hurdle roundoff backhandspring full because running would freak her out. It was funny to see her almost walking into her full but it did the trick!!!

Two or three and it was a progression. The first day she would do it with a spot. The next day the coach stood next to her but didn't spot. The next practice, The coach just kept taking one step back until she was off the floor. If you have a trampoline that helped too. Most important thing is try not to get frustrated, your CP is already beating themselves up and if you are upset too it's 100 times more pressure. :)

In this case, I am the CP :) telling me not to get frustrated or beat myself up is like telling me not to breathe ;) it's difficult. BUT I will try :) thank you so much for your information. I appreciate t!!!

Haha I just realized its you not your CP :) another tip that helped my daughter is for running tumbling try power hurdle then 2 step before 4 step. She felt like is she could control the beginning she was more likely to go for it. For weeks she would do power hurdle roundoff backhandspring full because running would freak her out. It was funny to see her almost walking into her full but it did the trick!!!

Thank you!!! My power hurdle isn't strong enough. I need two step bhs for team, so I'll probably start with one step then two to get the same general idea :) thank you!!!

I know a girl whose mom made her do it and it didn't work for her. She was always saying how dumb it was and how she hated going. I think she saw it as degrading instead of letting it be helpful. So I think that if you really take your sessions seriously and put forth the effort then you can see some results!

Thank you :) I intend to take it seriously! But that you for sharing that persons experience. If my mom were forcing me into it, I definitely would have had the same reaction.

Back