High School I Don't Understand Rules At All!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 12, 2013
We don't really have a coach at our high school, she is just an advisor, so as captain, I am in charge of making up routines with my co-captain. I have been doing All Star cheer for 5 years and compete at a level four level. The problem is, I don't understand the rules at all and I don't even know which rules to follow! Basically, I know noting about high school cheer rules! Here are my questions:

If I live by Los Angeles, California which rules do I follow? (I think where you live matters, but I actually don't know)

If we don't compete, do we actually have to follow the rules and if we do have to follow them anyways, who is stopping us from not?

Do we have to have from spots?

Can we do one mans with a girl under?

Thanks, and any tips on how to run a high school team would be appreciated! Also keep in mind, there are nine girls on our squad and we are all freshmans. Thanks again!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

NFHS | Spirit

Cheerleading Rules – 2013-14 AACCA High School Rules

Those are the rules my high school followed when I was cheering. I also cheered in California, so I don't think there are any state specific rules for us (as opposed to Georgia, etc.)

Follow the rules. They're put in place for a reason. You're a freshman team with girls new to cheer, there is no need to want to try back tuck baskets and other illegal stunts. Sure, you may not be caught as easily if you do illegal stunts if you don't compete, but you can still be reported and it can end with your school being grounded. I've seen high school teams do 2-2-1's on a basketball floor (which is even illegal for college) and it was sketchy as heck. Usually the teams that are doing illegal stunts are the ones that really shouldn't be, who are lacking technique and overall skill.

Front spots are not a requirement. Only if you need them.

I think you can do one mans with girls underneath. I never did them in high school, but I have in college. They do require a lot of strength and technique on everyone's part. Check the rules!

Ask the JV or Varsity captains if they have any tips or know of any school traditions or things that work well for your school, they can be a huge resource and really help! Make sure everyone know's the cheers and understands the rules of football and basketball, as much fun as it is to do half times and dances, you are CHEERleaders, and that's what the school officials like, they could usually care less if you can stunt and tumble.
In terms of making a halftime, make them about 1-2 minutes long. You don't want it too short, but anything past 2 minutes people lose interest. You can do about 30 seconds of dance/jumps, 15 seconds of tumbling, and then like 45 minutes of stunting, like a pyramid sequence or group stunts ending in a pyramid. I can send you some youtube videos of good half time routines if you want! Also, for dances, just youtube it! There are plenty of high school dances from UCA and NCA that have been leaked onto the web. And just some personal advice, you many want to stay away from all star type dances for a freshman team. With girls who are still learning motions, all star dances can be fast paced and have potential to look sloppy.

The two links above are the standard rules for high schools across the country. They both have the same general regulations for the most part.YES it is crucial to follow them whether you compete or not.....they are for Safety.

Will the Cheer Police run after you if you break a rule? No...they don't have spy cameras in the bleachers just waiting to report you, but you are putting real live bodies at stake. It's not worth it for someone to get seriously injured in a freak accident which can happen to ANYONE at ANY TIME regardless of cheer experience or age. If you can't entertain the crowd while staying in the rules, you are not being creative enough imo.

The rules really are not difficult to follow (basically no level 6 building skills, stunts are in between level 3-4, tumbling is around level 5 restricted with additional rules due to performance surface since you are on flat mats, basketball courts, track, etc.):
Dismounts
-No double downs

Baskets
-No flipping
-No double twisting (no kick double baskets, etc. ONLY kick singles)
-No baskets on basketball courts (have to put a mat underneath)
-No Helicopter tosses over 180 degrees (half turn)
-No moving baskets (can't just throw a flyer across the floor to another group)

Pyramids
-No level 6 pyramids
-No single braced inversions (only a double braced flip is allowed and it has additional regulations)

Tumbling
-No tumbling with props (unless a forward/backward roll)
-No twisting on basketball courts (No fulls or arabians...need to have a mat under)
-No rotations over one flip and one twist (No double fulls on hard floor)
-No tumbling over someone

Stunts
-No high to high tick tocks
-High school level inversions allowed: suspended forward and backward rolls, low-level inversions (shoulder level or below)
-No cradles with props
-Cradles must have 3 bases (main, side, back)
-Single based stunts are allowed but = 2 bases and flyer
-Single shoulder sits can = one base, one flyer

Here are great video examples of legal vs. not legal stunts from AACCA: AACCA Safety - YouTube

Back