I Need Help!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 9, 2015
I just started tumbling a little over 2 months ago and ive only been to 7 practices ever. i was also unable to even do a cartwheel when i first started. However everyone is telling me how fast i am excelling at it because at my last 2 practices i got down my standing back tuck and can perform the skill well. I can also roundoff to back handspring to back handspring now still with a little difficulty but i can do it. I cant do too much more because of inexperience and lack of practice time. I want to start all star cheer but i dont know when to start because im not flexable and i cant really do the jumps correctly and ive never cheered before. Keep in mind that im also 16 years old and male. Now i just want to know what i should do cause ive been going to different gyms and theyve said that i should probably be able to start practicing layouts and whips but i cant even do some of the basic stuff. So should i keep focusing on trying to get these higher level skills or should i go backwards and start focusing on more of the basic stuff. I also cant even do the little runskip thing when you start to tumble so im pretty behind. The coaches are excited and trying to teach me high level skills because of how fast im getting them down so i dont think they are really thinking about the easier stuff. I kinda want to join a team soon but im also pretty scared because i just started and everyone else has been cheering since they were like 7. Any advice would help right now. Also what kind of shoes should i wear to cheer?

I just started tumbling a little over 2 months ago and ive only been to 7 practices ever. i was also unable to even do a cartwheel when i first started. However everyone is telling me how fast i am excelling at it because at my last 2 practices i got down my standing back tuck and can perform the skill well. I can also roundoff to back handspring to back handspring now still with a little difficulty but i can do it. I cant do too much more because of inexperience and lack of practice time. I want to start all star cheer but i dont know when to start because im not flexable and i cant really do the jumps correctly and ive never cheered before. Keep in mind that im also 16 years old and male. Now i just want to know what i should do cause ive been going to different gyms and theyve said that i should probably be able to start practicing layouts and whips but i cant even do some of the basic stuff. So should i keep focusing on trying to get these higher level skills or should i go backwards and start focusing on more of the basic stuff. I also cant even do the little runskip thing when you start to tumble so im pretty behind. The coaches are excited and trying to teach me high level skills because of how fast im getting them down so i dont think they are really thinking about the easier stuff. I kinda want to join a team soon but im also pretty scared because i just started and everyone else has been cheering since they were like 7. Any advice would help right now. Also what kind of shoes should i wear to cheer?
@tumbleyoda this has you written all over it.

Thanks @Official OWECheer

First of all, congratulations on your progress and enthusiasm, It is hard to be an older male coming into any sport. As a 14 year old starting competitive gymnastics I understand where you are and where you can go with dedication, discipline and patience. We also have had several boys join our program in your age range and experience.

DO NOT RUSH!

I will say it again, do not rush. I say it as a coach and as a parent. Yes boys tend to pick up skills faster than a lot of girls, especially in this age range. That is very tempting for any coach to just throw stuff at you and because you are a boy, expect you to just pick it up right away. But you want to have good solid technique to build on. Look at the long term instead of the short term. What you don't want to become is a one trick pony that can only do one thing because you have spent any time working on the basics or technique. Take the time to learn technique. Handstands, hollow body holds, lunge cartwheels, snap roundoffs, Snap down BHS and Back Tuck, Drills get skills. You will pick up the skills safely and faster if you learn the proper position to put your body in rather than just chucking a skill. Yes there always exceptions to the rule but I tell my athletes plan on being the rule. If you end up being the exception, stay humble and still drill basics everyday.

You shouldn't have a problem starting cheer now. I would tell you to join a program that is concerned about you as an athlete not just what skills you have or they think you can get by competition season. A wise coach will put you on a team where you can master your tumbling easily and progress in the same year, rather than expecting you to get xyz skill in 2 months. For example we have two boys that this is their first year cheering All Stars. One is a Senior, the other I believe a Freshman. Both had iffy running tucks when they came. They were placed on a Coed 3 team. They now both have decent level 5 tumbling skills. That would not of happened if they were thrown on a Level 5 team and told to get the skills or else. Putting them on a team where they could clean up, focus and have a little fun because the tumbling was easy actually sped up their learning rate. Most gyms would have thrown them on a level 5 team simply because they were boys.

As far as shoes, you want something light and comfortable. Most cheerleaders wear white shoes. There are several shoe vendors that you can check out that have products in various sizes and price points.

Thanks @Official OWECheer

First of all, congratulations on your progress and enthusiasm, It is hard to be an older male coming into any sport. As a 14 year old starting competitive gymnastics I understand where you are and where you can go with dedication, discipline and patience. We also have had several boys join our program in your age range and experience.

DO NOT RUSH!

I will say it again, do not rush. I say it as a coach and as a parent. Yes boys tend to pick up skills faster than a lot of girls, especially in this age range. That is very tempting for any coach to just throw stuff at you and because you are a boy, expect you to just pick it up right away. But you want to have good solid technique to build on. Look at the long term instead of the short term. What you don't want to become is a one trick pony that can only do one thing because you have spent any time working on the basics or technique. Take the time to learn technique. Handstands, hollow body holds, lunge cartwheels, snap roundoffs, Snap down BHS and Back Tuck, Drills get skills. You will pick up the skills safely and faster if you learn the proper position to put your body in rather than just chucking a skill. Yes there always exceptions to the rule but I tell my athletes plan on being the rule. If you end up being the exception, stay humble and still drill basics everyday.

You shouldn't have a problem starting cheer now. I would tell you to join a program that is concerned about you as an athlete not just what skills you have or they think you can get by competition season. A wise coach will put you on a team where you can master your tumbling easily and progress in the same year, rather than expecting you to get xyz skill in 2 months. For example we have two boys that this is their first year cheering All Stars. One is a Senior, the other I believe a Freshman. Both had iffy running tucks when they came. They were placed on a Coed 3 team. They now both have decent level 5 tumbling skills. That would not of happened if they were thrown on a Level 5 team and told to get the skills or else. Putting them on a team where they could clean up, focus and have a little fun because the tumbling was easy actually sped up their learning rate. Most gyms would have thrown them on a level 5 team simply because they were boys.

As far as shoes, you want something light and comfortable. Most cheerleaders wear white shoes. There are several shoe vendors that you can check out that have products in various sizes and price points.

Thank you for the advice. Im a little uneasy about just joining a team cause i still feel like an outsider to the sport considering the little amount of time ive put into it. What should i expect from the coaches and team and also at the practices?

Thank you for the advice. Im a little uneasy about just joining a team cause i still feel like an outsider to the sport considering the little amount of time ive put into it. What should i expect from the coaches and team and also at the practices?
Bumping this in the hopes that someone can answer (I'm not an allstar cheerleader or coach).

Lots of boys start cheering around your age actually. The best advice I can give as a coach and having been an athlete is visit all the gyms in your area. See what they offer team wise (level) as well as tumbling classes, price, distance, etc. Most program websites will have a tryout package online by now and that will give you and your parents an idea of the commitment (how many comps a year/practices a week), cost, different payment options, what team they offer.

Most team members are great when newbies come in and are very helpful. You may want to do some more browsing on Fierceboard for "cheer terminology" so not just tumbling but thinks like extensions and libs which are stunts and terms like toe touches and likes which are jumps.

As a coach I don't expect a lot from a newbie. I try to give advice every practice on ways to improve technique and skills but that's not just to newbies that's to anyone. After tryouts and comp season is a time to review basics so don't be overwhelmed because everyone starts as a newbie.

Practices after tryouts are usually reviewing basics the first week or two and then starting to work skills for your specific team level.

I'm on my phone but if you check out usasf.net you can find cheer terms as well as level rules to kind of get an idea of what each level entails.

When I'm coaching (regardless of level) I go back to basics and not pick the small stuff. Base/backspot hand placement, flyer foot placement, basic cheer motions (high v, fists) , jumps, counting!!! (1-8), tumbling basics, round offs, cartwheels, handsprings with feet together, etc. Then I start working level specific skills. For example level 3 tumbling (round off handspring tucks, round off tucks, standing handspring tucks, punch fronts), stunting (estensions full down, full ups, switch up to prep level, etc). I always work jumps and conditioning into a practice and sometimes I will teach a mini dance to see who picks up motions quick and who dances well so that later when I make the actual dance I know who to place where.

Then at some point in the summer usually August ish you will start to learn the routine that you will compete with. Routines change slightly throughout the season to add in harder skills or to adjust to a different scoresheet.

Hope that wasn't too overwhelming! And hope it was informative :) good luck!!

Where are you from? Maybe we can help you in telling you what programs are around your area.

Lots of boys start cheering around your age actually. The best advice I can give as a coach and having been an athlete is visit all the gyms in your area. See what they offer team wise (level) as well as tumbling classes, price, distance, etc. Most program websites will have a tryout package online by now and that will give you and your parents an idea of the commitment (how many comps a year/practices a week), cost, different payment options, what team they offer.

Most team members are great when newbies come in and are very helpful. You may want to do some more browsing on Fierceboard for "cheer terminology" so not just tumbling but thinks like extensions and libs which are stunts and terms like toe touches and likes which are jumps.

As a coach I don't expect a lot from a newbie. I try to give advice every practice on ways to improve technique and skills but that's not just to newbies that's to anyone. After tryouts and comp season is a time to review basics so don't be overwhelmed because everyone starts as a newbie.

Practices after tryouts are usually reviewing basics the first week or two and then starting to work skills for your specific team level.

I'm on my phone but if you check out usasf.net you can find cheer terms as well as level rules to kind of get an idea of what each level entails.

When I'm coaching (regardless of level) I go back to basics and not pick the small stuff. Base/backspot hand placement, flyer foot placement, basic cheer motions (high v, fists) , jumps, counting!!! (1-8), tumbling basics, round offs, cartwheels, handsprings with feet together, etc. Then I start working level specific skills. For example level 3 tumbling (round off handspring tucks, round off tucks, standing handspring tucks, punch fronts), stunting (estensions full down, full ups, switch up to prep level, etc). I always work jumps and conditioning into a practice and sometimes I will teach a mini dance to see who picks up motions quick and who dances well so that later when I make the actual dance I know who to place where.

Then at some point in the summer usually August ish you will start to learn the routine that you will compete with. Routines change slightly throughout the season to add in harder skills or to adjust to a different scoresheet.

Hope that wasn't too overwhelming! And hope it was informative :) good luck!!

Where are you from? Maybe we can help you in telling you what programs are around your area.

Thank you that really does help. I live in north austin texas.

Thank you that really does help. I live in north austin texas.
Google cheerleading gyms in Austin and check out all their websites! :) Google neighbouring big cities as well if you can travel a bit further to give you more options.

If traveling is not a big issue cheer athletics could be a good candidate. I just cannot remember how far they are from where you are. They are a big and successful program and have a lot of guys as well so if you could blend right in

**Less than 8 Worlds bids events remain. May the odds be forever in your favor**

I just looked and there is a Cheer Athletics gym in Austin. cheerathletics.com/austin/

You're in a great place for cheerleading gyms! In Austin, I can think of off the top of my head like 3 very good gyms. Cheer Athletics has a location in Austin, and they're one of the best gyms in the world. I think we've competed against Austin Cheer Factory, and all their teams were very good. (FYI I think their highest level is senior 4.) I'm pretty sure Cheer Station has teams up to level 5, too. (I'm not suggesting any specific level for you to be on, just giving you a general feel for gym size and level variety.)
ETA I follow CA Austin on Instagram and they never cease to amaze me. Like you can feel the energy in that gym through the screen watching their videos.

You're in a great place for cheerleading gyms! In Austin, I can think of off the top of my head like 3 very good gyms. Cheer Athletics has a location in Austin, and they're one of the best gyms in the world. I think we've competed against Austin Cheer Factory, and all their teams were very good. (FYI I think their highest level is senior 4.) I'm pretty sure Cheer Station has teams up to level 5, too. (I'm not suggesting any specific level for you to be on, just giving you a general feel for gym size and level variety.)
ETA I follow CA Austin on Instagram and they never cease to amaze me. Like you can feel the energy in that gym through the screen watching their videos.

Yeah ive heard of cheer athletics before i just didnt know that they were located here thank you for the help

Back