All-Star Idea: Multi Location Gyms Must Have Different Colors At Each Gym Location

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

With large gyms (with multiple locations) teams from the same organization will sometimes compete against each other. It happens with our gym sometimes (although the owner tries to prevent this as much as possible). I don't get what the colors have to do with that. In our organization, each team has their own team color - and they usually get bows and other accessories in this color, but the uniform colors are the same. Are you thinking that if teams' uniforms are the same, they can't compete against each other????

I think gym owners would be more likely to have them compete against eachother if they had different colors.

With large gyms (with multiple locations) teams from the same organization will sometimes compete against each other. It happens with our gym sometimes (although the owner tries to prevent this as much as possible). I don't get what the colors have to do with that. In our organization, each team has their own team color - and they usually get bows and other accessories in this color, but the uniform colors are the same. Are you thinking that if teams' uniforms are the same, they can't compete against each other????
What would be more helpful, is if the EPs would say the actual team names - not just gym names - when they announce winners. At a recent event I heard, "In 2nd place - The California All Stars and in 1st place - the California All Stars" Now, that's confusing!! The poor kids didn't even know who won.

I think gym owners would be more likely to have them compete against eachother if they had different colors.
Maybe. But, just thinking about this idea makes me glad I live in San Marcos (Cali Flagship Location). I can't imagine having different CA colors. Blue and Black is where it's at :) It might be a nice option for some gyms. But, as a mandate, I think would make a lot of people unhappy.

I think it only hurts the multiple location gym, so it should be up to them to decide how to address it as a business.

Guess I should have said it only "affects" the multiple location gym, since like @CAmom66 posted, it can both hurt (the kids on stage being confused) and help (good brand recognition to have 1st and 2nd place.) :)

This is likely to be an unpopular post but here it goes.

I strongly dislike this idea.

Maybe it's the school person in me but I look at (pretty much everything) from a "what's best for kids" perspective. I'm not too concerned with gym owners, they're adults, they can make their own business decisions about where they compete and who to compete against. This whole idea will crush kids though. It's the same as putting "I'm on the B team" on the back of their uniform. How is that positive or encouraging to visually compare kids to other kids, because that's what this is doing. Categorizing kids into who is considered "beatable" and who might put up a greater challenge?

I'm just feeling like this concept is a page (or chapter) out of A Brave New World.

Having built middle school master schedules that had to account for AIG (academically and intellectually gifted) students which had to be grouped together, invariably kids would (in about 6.7 seconds) determine who was on the "dumb team" and the "smart team" based on what kinds of kids were grouped into their academic teams. Parents would scream and holler they didn't want their kid on that "dumb" team because heaven forbid they weren't on the team with all the AIG kids who were clearly so much smarter (insert sarcasm here) than those regular ed dregs of society. Its caustic. And it's completely detrimental to the kids involved. Even in the school that had 2 AIG teams, the kids and parents ferreted out in their mind which was the "smart AIG team" and which was the "dumb AIG team" (you can't make this up) and then those poor lost souls on the regular ed team that apparently will only ever work at Walmart or the local gas station. As they say in the South...bless their hearts.

I don't think anyone will argue that different gym locations differ in the quality of teams they put out either for their access to kids, their coaching, their philosophy of total program development or whatever the reason. So, what possible good can come (in terms of the athletes) for stratifying them and identifying them by color. It's just like our middle school was. The "blue" team was the smart team. the "green" team was the dumb team.

Even if location B isn't as strong as the flagship location, does that mean they're not even allowed to wear the brand's color? I guarantee you that's how the kids would look at it...I've lived that. "I'm not good enough" or "my team isn't good enough" to wear teal, black and white - so we have to wear lime green and navy blue (just picking colors out of the air if those are yours).

I'll use my own two as examples. Its incredibly hard on the kid who ISN'T on the flagship team to maintain confidence and positivity in the shadow of their sibling. (even when they're competing at the same level). If you tell her she isn't even allowed to wear the brand's colors you might as well just tell her, "honey you're not good enough to wear the uniform....maybe later."

I don't see how that (in any sense, even if its the B location that turns out a kick a$$ team that beats the flagship location) the conversation that begins with "oh that yellow J3 is better than the green one" is a good thing for any kid wearing any color. Even if those kids are never going to be competitive with their own flagship team, there's nothing positive about specifically excluding them from an organizational identity that is bigger than themselves.

regulating gym colors is not something that should happen. Maybe some variations in the uniform between locations, but not colors

are we literally talking different colors here? or was that just a hypothetical/jumping off point for a way to prove who belongs to what location at the drop of a hat? @King

This is likely to be an unpopular post but here it goes.

I strongly dislike this idea.

Maybe it's the school person in me but I look at (pretty much everything) from a "what's best for kids" perspective. I'm not too concerned with gym owners, they're adults, they can make their own business decisions about where they compete and who to compete against. This whole idea will crush kids though. It's the same as putting "I'm on the B team" on the back of their uniform. How is that positive or encouraging to visually compare kids to other kids, because that's what this is doing. Categorizing kids into who is considered "beatable" and who might put up a greater challenge?

I'm just feeling like this concept is a page (or chapter) out of A Brave New World.

Having built middle school master schedules that had to account for AIG (academically and intellectually gifted) students which had to be grouped together, invariably kids would (in about 6.7 seconds) determine who was on the "dumb team" and the "smart team" based on what kinds of kids were grouped into their academic teams. Parents would scream and holler they didn't want their kid on that "dumb" team because heaven forbid they weren't on the team with all the AIG kids who were clearly so much smarter (insert sarcasm here) than those regular ed dregs of society. Its caustic. And it's completely detrimental to the kids involved. Even in the school that had 2 AIG teams, the kids and parents ferreted out in their mind which was the "smart AIG team" and which was the "dumb AIG team" (you can't make this up) and then those poor lost souls on the regular ed team that apparently will only ever work at Walmart or the local gas station. As they say in the South...bless their hearts.

I don't think anyone will argue that different gym locations differ in the quality of teams they put out either for their access to kids, their coaching, their philosophy of total program development or whatever the reason. So, what possible good can come (in terms of the athletes) for stratifying them and identifying them by color. It's just like our middle school was. The "blue" team was the smart team. the "green" team was the dumb team.

Even if location B isn't as strong as the flagship location, does that mean they're not even allowed to wear the brand's color? I guarantee you that's how the kids would look at it...I've lived that. "I'm not good enough" or "my team isn't good enough" to wear teal, black and white - so we have to wear lime green and navy blue (just picking colors out of the air if those are yours).

I'll use my own two as examples. Its incredibly hard on the kid who ISN'T on the flagship team to maintain confidence and positivity in the shadow of their sibling. (even when they're competing at the same level). If you tell her she isn't even allowed to wear the brand's colors you might as well just tell her, "honey you're not good enough to wear the uniform....maybe later."

I don't see how that (in any sense, even if its the B location that turns out a kick a$$ team that beats the flagship location) the conversation that begins with "oh that yellow J3 is better than the green one" is a good thing for any kid wearing any color. Even if those kids are never going to be competitive with their own flagship team, there's nothing positive about specifically excluding them from an organizational identity that is bigger than themselves.

Shimmy this x a million! CP is at a satellite gym of a large program. They largely referred to themselves (and it was heard the more established locations referred to them as well) as "losers" their first year in existence. Now they hold their own with NCA and Worlds titles and bids to Summit, but it was horrible to feel inferior in the beginning.

This is a shark tank of Susie moms. Heaven help the satellites coaching staff.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I have seen it in other sports (including the rec just for fun leagues) and people get gym envy when they are on the proverbial bottom rung and if they don't flee can harbor resentment which is just plain old bad for a business.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Off topic but @12stepCheermom do your middle schools organize into teams? Or was that just what you were using for your comparison.... Because our schools do and I've never heard of others that do

Off topic but @12stepCheermom do your middle schools organize into teams? Or was that just what you were using for your comparison.... Because our schools do and I've never heard of others that do

Yes we do. Middle schools should be organized into teams, junior highs won't be. It's a difference in adolescent development educational philosophy.

If a middle school isn't organized into teams they're doing it wrong ;)

Our school district uses teams in our elem and middle schools. Think our high school does but only for organizational purposes.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Speculating here. If a mega gym had to or chose to use different uni's by location thereby possibly illustrating a distinction between locations and which are better (a-b-c teams) could that be a tool to aid an argument for a mega gym to field the same level teams (ie SC5) in both A and B divisions at Worlds but put of different locations?

Does that make sense what I'm asking?

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Latest posts

Back