I'm Going For It !!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you know if they have any kind of tumbling mats you may be able to use?

This is just a thought here. I am assuming the rec center is owned by the city. If they do not have safety mats for you to use are there any schools nearby that may allow you to practice there and use their safety mats?

**Come on, where's Ashton because I think we're being punk'd**

@sojorge123 Cheer dad makes a great point here, you may want to look into some schools that need a cheer coach. I had an experience where a private school needed a coach, and they would allow my program to use their gym and mats when it was available. I was able to run specialty clinics, and competitions at their school without paying anything, and I still got paid to coach. Also, when you are starting out it helps to be in the schools. I know you said you aren't looking to pull Senior aged kids in, but everyone has younger siblings and you can pull kids for classes.

@sojorge123 Cheer dad makes a great point here, you may want to look into some schools that need a cheer coach. I had an experience where a private school needed a coach, and they would allow my program to use their gym and mats when it was available. I was able to run specialty clinics, and competitions at their school without paying anything, and I still got paid to coach. Also, when you are starting out it helps to be in the schools. I know you said you aren't looking to pull Senior aged kids in, but everyone has younger siblings and you can pull kids for classes.

i do have the money to buy half dead floor and equipment like a pac man you know the equipment that's in the corner of every gym. i do want Senior kids but coaching a kid just a few years younger then me will be hard and it's same thing with high schools. I did cheer in high school and i didn't like it the football games were the only good part of it i got in for free LOL thanks for the help

Do you know if they have any kind of tumbling mats you may be able to use?

This is just a thought here. I am assuming the rec center is owned by the city. If they do not have safety mats for you to use are there any schools nearby that may allow you to practice there and use their safety mats?

i do have the money to buy half dead floor but i'll find out if they have tumbling mats but i don't think so

i do have the money to buy half dead floor but i'll find out if they have tumbling mats but i don't think so
Not sure how schools are in your area but locally people have used them for rec or not for profits. Maybe if you fall under the guidance of the community center it could be an option.

Just something to think about

Also, remember that you need to have a specific height to the room. With our rec program, it was either regulated by insurance or our cheer organization that we need X amount of height in the room.

Not sure how schools are in your area but locally people have used them for rec or not for profits. Maybe if you fall under the guidance of the community center it could be an option.

Just something to think about

i'll do my best but at same time i don't want to ask the high schools for help idk thanks

I'm glad you took some time to reflect. You sound much more organized with your thoughts, etc. now. :)

I notice you mention having enough $$ for half a dead floor. I really think if you're planning an all star team you need a full spring floor (or at least enough of a spring floor to work tumbling and stunts). 1. I think it's safer for in inexperienced coach and athletes to work on a spring floor and 2. since comps are on a spring floor, I think you should practice on what you'll be competing on.

Just my $0.02. Good luck getting your program going!

I'm glad you took some time to reflect. You sound much more organized with your thoughts, etc. now. :)

I notice you mention having enough $$ for half a dead floor. I really think if you're planning an all star team you need a full spring floor (or at least enough of a spring floor to work tumbling and stunts). 1. I think it's safer for in inexperienced coach and athletes to work on a spring floor and 2. since comps are on a spring floor, I think you should practice on what you'll be competing on.

Just my $0.02. Good luck getting your program going!

thanks

don't worry once we move to the gymnastics gym i want to we will have a spring floor to practice on but if we don't i can just rent a gym out for a few practices just to get the kids the feel of it. I also believe if you practice on a dead floor you're be 10 times better on a spring floor and thanks for your consideration to

thanks

don't worry once we move to the gymnastics gym i want to we will have a spring floor to practice on but if we don't i can just rent a gym out for a few practices just to get the kids the feel of it. I also believe if you practice on a dead floor you're be 10 times better on a spring floor and thanks for your consideration to

I agree that working on a dead floor to perfect technique and after you have a skill does help to improve your tumbling on a spring floor. It's kinda like drilling jumps with ankle weights on and then taking them off and your jumps are amazing. But, I don't think you'd learn to jump with weights on or practice with them on, either. I see the dead mat that way. Learn on the spring, practice on the spring and then drill on the dead for improvement. Either way, I'm sure you'll research it and do what is the safest for your athletes even if it means you have to invest a little more $$ up front.

thanks

Please be careful with this. IMO, and in the opinion of our coaches at the gym, teaching all star stunts on dead floor is unsafe, particularly for an inexperienced coach. They never allow new material to be stunted on dead floor, and very rarely stunt on it at all. Typically, only our coed stunt classes use it. Perhaps you should start out in a rec division if you will not have full access to a spring floor and wait to do all stars until you can practice full time on spring floor?

thanks

Yup, if you're starting a low level, low-cost program, it's not unreasonable to have a partial floor and rent once or twice before competition. My middle school team only has two panel mats, so we rent a local gym a few times before competition to run full out routines. Cleaning, stunts, pyramids and tumbling skills can all be done on a few panel mats.

Back