I'm New!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have been a gymnast my entire life. I had private tryouts for both gyms. I don't feel comfortable giving too much personal information online hence the question about the best gyms in the Austin area. If I could find that information then I could see where the two gyms are.
You can pM me I can tell you about level 5s in your area as we aren't that far away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your gymnastics background explains everything. People were just a little suspicious because people often join this forum pretending to be a member of a Worlds team so that people will admire them.

Picking a gym can be a bit difficult if you're not sure what to look for. Monthly tuition fees can be deceptive. For example, Cheer Athletics uses all-inclusive pricing. That is, they take all of the fees that the families will have to cover, and they divide that by the number of moths in the season. Monthly, it is more expensive than another pricing system which I will explain after this, but the yearly tuition is about the same as other gyms with similar expenses but a different pricing system.

The other pricing system has lower monthly payments, because it only includes basic tuition (insurance, services, mortgage/rent, etc.). However, DO NOT BE DECEIVED: it is no cheaper than the all-inclusive system because things like competition fees, travel and hotel fees, team gifts, uniform, practice wear, backpack, bows and warm-ups have not been averaged into the monthly payments. In fact, I have heard that the money for apparel is due by the beginning of the summer (this might not apply to every gym, but use it as a rule of thumb). With uniforms, you will likely only have to pay half of the fee because uniform companies like the pay half now, pay half later method (it prevents either party from losing too much money in the event that one scams the other).

In addition to price, you have to take gym culture into consideration. Do you like the gyms' coaching methods and training techniques? What are the kids and parents like?

Hi! I'm new to the cheer world and the board, I recently made 2 senior level 5 worlds teams and am having a hard time deciding! Is there anywhere I can view rankings of some sort? I am in Austin, what's the best all star cheer team in this area?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place... I can only post here and I need to decide soon, I appreciate any help.
Thank you

Well, I will ask you the question - Why did you choose these 2 gyms to have private tryouts and in your visit to the gyms, which one felt like a good fit for you?

Regardless of what anyone else think, this is a decision you and you alone must make...

Seriously, I do not know your age, but if you are younger than 18, it is somewhat late in the practice season to be scouting for level 5 teams and maybe considered searching for Worlds level team next season and use this year as a learning season and use the time to learn motions, jumps, stunting, etc. and to be honest, it may had been better to learn these things in a less pressure way... Unless, this is your last chance to go to Worlds, I will recommend going on a Restricted5 team and learn, learn, learn instead...

Last edited:
Your gymnastics background explains everything. People were just a little suspicious because people often join this forum pretending to be a member of a Worlds team so that people will admire them.

Picking a gym can be a bit difficult if you're not sure what to look for. Monthly tuition fees can be deceptive. For example, Cheer Athletics uses all-inclusive pricing. That is, they take all of the fees that the families will have to cover, and they divide that by the number of moths in the season. Monthly, it is more expensive than another pricing system which I will explain after this, but the yearly tuition is about the same as other gyms with similar expenses but a different pricing system.

The other pricing system has lower monthly payments, because it only includes basic tuition (insurance, services, mortgage/rent, etc.). However, DO NOT BE DECEIVED: it is no cheaper than the all-inclusive system because things like competition fees, travel and hotel fees, team gifts, uniform, practice wear, backpack, bows and warm-ups have not been averaged into the monthly payments. In fact, I have heard that the money for apparel is due by the beginning of the summer (this might not apply to every gym, but use it as a rule of thumb). With uniforms, you will likely only have to pay half of the fee because uniform companies like the pay half now, pay half later method (it prevents either party from losing too much money in the event that one scams the other).

In addition to price, you have to take gym culture into consideration. Do you like the gyms' coaching methods and training techniques? What are the kids and parents like?

No, I'm serious. I know nothing about cheer so I don't know what to look for. Just wanted advice from people who knew about the sport. Didn't mean to cause suspicion.

Last edited:
No, I'm serious. I know nothing about cheer so I don't know what to look for. I was a level 10 gymnast for years. I can tumble, and the gyms say they'll teach me to stunt. I really just wanted advice from people who knew about the sport. Didn't mean to cause suspicion, thanks
No problem! You sound like you'll be a beautiful tumbler. Make sure you work on your jumps (pikes are the same in cheer and gymnastics, but your straddle jump needs to become a toe touch, and your should also learn how to do a right front hurdler). Also, practice your motions until they're super sharp. It could take a while because of the muscle memory you have from gymnastics, but you can do it. The conditioning might seem a bit easy for you, since your were previously Level 10. Make sure you turn you straddle jumps into a toe touch and learn how to do a right front hurdler. Learn how to hit sharp arm motions.

You will most likely be basing, but try to learn how to fly. People often change stunt positions from season to season, and with your muscle control and flexibility you'll be prime choice for flying. Try to work with a coach that can help you break the muscle memory you acquired from beam training (you were taught to try to balance yourself; as a flyer, it is your job to stay as TIGHT as possible while your bases and backspot try to balance you).

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT stop with your gymnastics conditioning and stretching. Try to stick to a regimen at home. Many gymnasts-turned-cheerleaders have made the mistake of letting their muscle strength and flexibility go, and they've come to regret it.

Cheer doesn't practice as much as gymnastics (so again, keep up with conditioning). However, as competitions get closer, practices become longer and more frequent. Do not be surprised if your team has a 6-10 hour practice during Worlds season.

Worlds is going to be the experience of a lifetime. You and your teammates will make unforgettable memories together (not to mention, you could end up on ESPN if you make it to finals).

Cheer can be very glitzy (a bit too glitzy at times; we on the FB have jokes for days about orange tans, oversized false lashes, excessive makeup, risqué uniforms and supersized hair). Of course, this isn't the case for all gyms (see the Stingray Allstars and ACE Tribe, especially their old uniforms).

Work hard and remember, this could be your ticket to a college scholarship.

Welcome to your new sport and welcome to Fierceboard! You'll love it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well, I will ask you the question - Why did you choose these 2 gyms to have private tryouts and in your visit to the gyms, which one felt like a good fit for you?

Regardless of what anyone else think, this is a decision you and you alone must make...

Seriously, I do not know your age, but if you are younger than 18, it is somewhat late in the practice season to be scouting for level 5 teams and maybe considered searching for Worlds level team next season and use this year as a learning season and use the time to learn motions, jumps, stunting, etc. and to be honest, it may had been better to learn these things in a less pressure way... Unless, this is your last chance to go to Worlds, I will recommend going on a Restricted5 team and learn, learn, learn instead...

To be honest, I choose the teams because they're the only ones I know of and because I know girls on their teams... I am 16, both gyms told me it is definetly not too late...

Hi! I'm new to the cheer world and the board, I recently made 2 senior level 5 worlds teams and am having a hard time deciding! Is there anywhere I can view rankings of some sort? I am in Austin, what's the best all star cheer team in this area?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place... I can only post here and I need to decide soon, I appreciate any help.
Thank you

The most well known/popular gym in Austin for level 5 World's teams is Cheer Athletics.

No problem! You sound like you'll be a beautiful tumbler. Make sure you work on your jumps (pikes are the same in cheer and gymnastics, but your straddle jump needs to become a toe touch, and your should also learn how to do a right front hurdler). Also, practice your motions until they're super sharp. It could take a while because of the muscle memory you have from gymnastics, but you can do it. The conditioning might seem a bit easy for you, since your were previously Level 10. Make sure you turn you straddle jumps into a toe touch and learn how to do a right front hurdler. Learn how to hit sharp arm motions.

You will most likely be basing, but try to learn how to fly. People often change stunt positions from season to season, and with your muscle control and flexibility you'll be prime choice for flying. Try to work with a coach that can help you break the muscle memory you acquired from beam training (you were taught to try to balance yourself; as a flyer, it is your job to stay as TIGHT as possible while your bases and backspot try to balance you).

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT stop with your gymnastics conditioning and stretching. Try to stick to a regimen at home. Many gymnasts-turned-cheerleaders have made the mistake of letting their muscle strength and flexibility go, and they've come to regret it.

Cheer doesn't practice as much as gymnastics (so again, keep up with conditioning). However, as competitions get closer, practices become longer and more frequent. Do not be surprised if your team has a 6-10 hour practice during Worlds season.

Worlds is going to be the experience of a lifetime. You and your teammates will make unforgettable memories together (not to mention, you could end up on ESPN if you make it to finals).

Cheer can be very glitzy (a bit too glitzy at times; we on the FB have jokes for days about orange tans, oversized false lashes, excessive makeup, risqué uniforms and supersized hair). Of course, this isn't the case for all gyms (see the Stingray Allstars and ACE Tribe, especially their old uniforms).

Work hard and remember, this could be your ticket to a college scholarship.

Welcome to your new sport and welcome to Fierceboard! You'll love it.

Good luck!

I've been told that I am an amazing tumbler by both gyms but of course I look like a gymnast when I tumble, jump, etc. I'm working on it! I seem to have a lot of dificulty with my arms... You're right, I would be a base, but thank you for your advice on that! I attended a practice at one of the gyms Wednesday and am attending the other gym Sunday. Their conditioning was a piece of cake so I am planning to do some on my own... Would crossfit help? I think that looks cool but I don't know...

Going to worlds would just be AMAZING and I don't mind glitzy! College would be a dream come true! Thank you!

I've been told that I am an amazing tumbler by both gyms but of course I look like a gymnast when I tumble, jump, etc. I'm working on it! I seem to have a lot of dificulty with my arms... You're right, I would be a base, but thank you for your advice on that! I attended a practice at one of the gyms Wednesday and am attending the other gym Sunday. Their conditioning was a piece of cake so I am planning to do some on my own... Would crossfit help? I think that looks cool but I don't know...

Going to worlds would just be AMAZING and I don't mind glitzy! College would be a dream come true! Thank you!
A lot of former gymnasts seem to be taking up CrossFit. You could give it a try. Just be careful to not overdo it.

And the arms will sharpen up in time. :D

To be honest, I choose the teams because they're the only ones I know of and because I know girls on their teams... I am 16, both gyms told me it is definetly not too late...

I am sorry if I am being intrusive, but I asked this question because you sound like you are still searching for other teams in your area... At this point, most teams are already set and selected and are working on their routines getting ready for showcases and competition season that is all...

Btw,
I have to laugh when you mentioned about your tumbling and how you look like a gymnast... Even after 3 years, my daughter left gymnastics at a level 5 or 6, and she still have the distinct running pattern which is different than the cheerleaders and the same arm motions after a tumbling pass the same straight upward arm motions, which I think will take many years to stop doing... But I love seeing it for some reason!(I actually feel weepy)

Last edited:
If you are ok with it , update and share what gym/team you end up picking! Good luck with everything!

Back