I'm Scared To Try Out For Allstar

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 4, 2016
This year I tried out for my school's team and made it! We had a great season with moderate success. The only problem is, I can't tumble for the life of me, I can barely get a front roll in without hurting myself. In school cheerleading this isn't much of a problem though, they strategically place me in spots that I don't have to tumble and it's fine. but I want to try for allstar cheer this year and whilst I'm well versed in stunts/jumps/dance I'm scared to do my sorry attempt at "tumbling". It's not so much the judges that scare me, it's the other girls that do. I feel like I'll see them do back handsprings and back tucks before I go and break down crying. and when I finally do muster up the strength to show my awful forward roll, the other girls will think I'm just going to hinder the team as the allstar cheer program in my city puts everyone into a team. What should I do?

The first thing you need to do is explore why you are scared of tumbling. Even more important however, you need to find a way to not worry so much about what others think about you. This is an important life skill as well. Also, you shouldn't feel intimidated by another girls/guys tumbling, they've put in hours and hours to get their skills. However, you need to at least put in the effort, to better yourself, as well as your team, you can't be afraid forever.

Edit: Good luck, if you really work at it, I think you'll surprise yourself!

Last edited:
You have what's called "Mind blocking"

First of all, when you're in all star cheer, you're most likely going to be required to attend tumble classes, sometimes it's even included in your monthly tuition.

Second: The older you are, the harder it is to tumble as you lose flexibility in your back that's needed, but at the end of the day if you train and work hard and spend some hours at the gym you can teach your body to do anything you want it to do. I really mean that they're some people in this world (Mainly internationally) That can lift themselves up with ONE finger. So surely, you'll eventually get your tumbling :)

Third, in AllStar Cheer you have levels 1-5 (now 6 I believe) one being the easiest and 5/6 being the hardest. Since you can't tumble, depending on your age, you'll probably be on a smaller, lower level team. Which means your peers will have some of the same problems you are and working on basic tumbling as well.

In All Star cheer you will progressively learn the skills you need throughout the season. They won't come overnight. But As long as you have the dedication, and commitment in yourself you will gain the skills you need to become a successful Cheerleader.

As the user said above, learning to not care about what others think of you is an important life skill to have. If you don't learn this skill in the future, and even now, you'll be stuck for the rest of your life worrying and stressing about what others think about you. I've been down that road before, and it's not a fun one either.

Good luck to you!

Hi! I tried out for all star cheer last year and one of the best things my coach kept saying was "just do your best and have fun". Keep that in mind during your tryout. Everyone has different skills.. Some girls may have come from a gymnastics background and be able to tumble but not stunt, whereas you already know how to stunt! Honestly, cheerleaders are some of the most supportive and kind people I've met. I have girls on my team that can do back handsprings and tucks and they still get excited and cheer me on when I do a cartwheel. I know it's hard not to but I would try not to worry! Everyone's strengths and weakness work together to make the team the best possible so don't stress about not having tumbling! It'll all work out! Good luck at tryouts :)

First of all, when you're in all star cheer, you're most likely going to be required to attend tumble classes, sometimes it's even included in your monthly tuition.

Second: The older you are, the harder it is to tumble as you lose flexibility in your back that's needed, but at the end of the day if you train and work hard and spend some hours at the gym you can teach your body to do anything you want it to do. I really mean that they're some people in this world (Mainly internationally) That can lift themselves up with ONE finger. So surely, you'll eventually get your tumbling :)

Third, in AllStar Cheer you have levels 1-5 (now 6 I believe) one being the easiest and 5/6 being the hardest. Since you can't tumble, depending on your age, you'll probably be on a smaller, lower level team. Which means your peers will have some of the same problems you are and working on basic tumbling as well.

In All Star cheer you will progressively learn the skills you need throughout the season. They won't come overnight. But As long as you have the dedication, and commitment in yourself you will gain the skills you need to become a successful Cheerleader.

As the user said above, learning to not care about what others think of you is an important life skill to have. If you don't learn this skill in the future, and even now, you'll be stuck for the rest of your life worrying and stressing about what others think about you. I've been down that road before, and it's not a fun one either.

Good luck to you!
Now I have something to spend time googling when I'm bored next. I wanna see someone lift their whole body with 1 finger. That sounds super impressive.

Since the summer is coming up and many programs do not start until August or september i would recommend attending summer tumbling camps! All of the all star programs that are set up for beginners should have level 1 tumbling classes available for all ages. This will give you a starting point to learn drills and the skills you need in a safe environment with people of your skill level. Its always scary trying new things, but try to be more excited than scared. Good luck!<3

This year I tried out for my school's team and made it! We had a great season with moderate success. The only problem is, I can't tumble for the life of me, I can barely get a front roll in without hurting myself. In school cheerleading this isn't much of a problem though, they strategically place me in spots that I don't have to tumble and it's fine. but I want to try for allstar cheer this year and whilst I'm well versed in stunts/jumps/dance I'm scared to do my sorry attempt at "tumbling". It's not so much the judges that scare me, it's the other girls that do. I feel like I'll see them do back handsprings and back tucks before I go and break down crying. and when I finally do muster up the strength to show my awful forward roll, the other girls will think I'm just going to hinder the team as the allstar cheer program in my city puts everyone into a team. What should I do?

Howdy, congrats on being inspired to try All-Star cheer. The great thing about All-Star cheer, most gyms do Team Placements, where you're more or less showing what you got, so they can put you were you fit. Tumbling is an asset, but it's not an end all be all skill. However I recommend maybe looking to going to a few private tumbling lessons at a proper gymnastics gym, or a cheer facility large enough to include a foam pit and rod floor. It might help you over come your tumble anxiety

Good luck to you!
You make some good points but I want to clarify I don't think this is actually a "block"- this seems to be more about being embarrassed by the level of skill she has as compared to other people. It seems like it's more about confidence and skill development as opposed to having a true block.

I agree with the points about learning not to worry about what others are doing, as well as going to classes to help improve your skills. Building confidence in yourself is important and understanding that you have strengths that are unique to you is important. Look up to the others who have awesome tumbling rather than be intimidated.

How old are you? Many open teams (17+) have athletes who cannot tumble, therefore it could be less of an issue for you. These athletes tend to be beastly bases and stunt throughout the tumbling portion (not all teams though). Otherwise, there is a good chance you'll be placed on a level 1 team where the other athletes are at a similar tumbling level. You may also be placed on a slightly higher team where they need stutters, and your contribution to the team will be in stunting rather than tumbling. But you won't know until you go to tryouts/the gym. It's easy for me to say, but you if you don't try something cos you are worried about what other people will think, you will miss out on a lot of cool opportunities and experiences.

If you can't tumble, you'll be placed on a level 1 team which is where almost everyone new to cheer starts. A lot of your teammates will likely have the same problem as you, so don't worry about being embarrassed around the other girls. I would recommend to try learning some basic skills at home such as cartwheels, handstands and if you get up to it kickovers/walkovers. That way there will be no one watching you and you can really focus on trying to get the skill, maybe do some conditioning if you think you physically can't do it. You could also take tumble privates, but these are pretty expensive. You will most likely have your tumble by the time your next season starts, but if you don't there's always that one stunt group at the back during the tumble section :)

If you can't tumble, you'll be placed on a level 1 team which is where almost everyone new to cheer starts. A lot of your teammates will likely have the same problem as you, so don't worry about being embarrassed around the other girls. I would recommend to try learning some basic skills at home such as cartwheels, handstands and if you get up to it kickovers/walkovers. That way there will be no one watching you and you can really focus on trying to get the skill, maybe do some conditioning if you think you physically can't do it. You could also take tumble privates, but these are pretty expensive. You will most likely have your tumble by the time your next season starts, but if you don't there's always that one stunt group at the back during the tumble section :)
Level 1 assuming they have a senior 1 team. I'm guessing senior 2 or 3 depending on her basing abilities and they'll work around the tumbling issue.

Back