OT I'm Supposed To Be Getting Braces :(...ugh...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 1, 2016
I found out from my parents over the weekend that I'm supposed to be getting braces this summer. My teeth aren't the greatest and I kinda find my smile is the weakest part of my personality. I'm supposed to have my first orthodontist appointment, Friday. What was braces like for you guys? Did they effect your ability to yell or anything like that? What can I expect from my first appointment and what advice can you give me? Thanks.

I'll be honest- braces suck, especially with cheer. I had them for 6 years which isn't normal for most. Chances are, you'll have them for a year or two, depending on the status of your teeth.

First appointment- they'll probably take x-rays and molds of your teeth to see where the alignment issues are. You might not need actual metal brackets if the alignment isn't too severe. I think Invisalign is still an option.

If you can get a retainer instead of the full metal brackets, go with that! Getting hit in the face is terrible with braces. But, it doesn't affect how you talk once you get used to having a mouth full of hardware.

Do you want a nice answer, or a real answer?? ;)

Honestly, braces suck, but they work. You probable won't be able to eat much for the first week, so get used to smoothies and other soft foods. Your gums will be sore. Advil can help. Also, whenever you get hit in the face, your brackets will likely cut the inside of your mouth. You can also get canker sores from them, but your Dentist should give you some wax or similar to put over the bracket so that it doesn't rub the inside of your mouth. And if you have wires, they will occasionally break and poke you in the mouth too. But you will love it when you get them off, cos your teeth will be straight and you'll feel much more confident in your smile if you aren't at the moment

What kind of braces are you getting?? That will make a difference in your experience (if you have trays/Invisalign instead of traditional brackets/wires)

My CP just went through this. You can get low profile brackets designed for impact sports that minimize the trauma when you get hit in the mouth. This is what we went with. The increased cost was minimal. CP had upper braces applied first, then 6 weeks later an inside wire and lower bands on her back teeth, plus rubber bands. She was pretty sore for about 3 days after both appointments. She has needed to use wax for some things, but the discomfort outside the initial soreness has been minor. She will likely get a full mouth of brackets in about a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You probably won't eat anything for 2-4 days.

Definitely didn't find this to be true for CP. she could eat things like mashed potatoes, Mac and cheese, e t just fine. She did fine with sandwiches with soft bread as well as long as she broke them into pieces rather than biting with her front teeth.

I'm about to turn 23 and my dentist just told me I needed braces. If he told me 6-7 years ago, I would have done it but now I'll just stick with my crossbite.

Definitely didn't find this to be true for CP. she could eat things like mashed potatoes, Mac and cheese, e t just fine. She did fine with sandwiches with soft bread as well as long as she broke them into pieces rather than biting with her front teeth.

Oh yes. You'll become a pro at eating with your back teeth. I found it easier to tear pieces off and stick them onto my back molars. Much less painful.

Basically, you'll have to deal with the pain for a couple days until your orthodontist tightens them again. Don't be bad and take off the bands because you'll just have to deal with them longer. (I hated braces and used to pop off my own wires and brackets which definitely didn't help my case.)

Actually, chewing gum is helpful! Our orthodontist recommended sugar free gum to help with the pain of shifting teeth. Warm salt water rinses and ibuprofen are your friends also. Taking the ibuprofen before your appointment can help alleviate the pain after.

I'll be honest- braces suck, especially with cheer. I had them for 6 years which isn't normal for most. Chances are, you'll have them for a year or two, depending on the status of your teeth.

First appointment- they'll probably take x-rays and molds of your teeth to see where the alignment issues are. You might not need actual metal brackets if the alignment isn't too severe. I think Invisalign is still an option.

If you can get a retainer instead of the full metal brackets, go with that! Getting hit in the face is terrible with braces. But, it doesn't affect how you talk once you get used to having a mouth full of hardware.

I kinda figured they sucked. Some of my friends are in various stages of treatment from just getting them installed to just about done. My 17 year old sister has braces as well. I'll use her as an example. Her teeth are about as jacked up as mine are when she started. She was told she was supposed to be in them 40-48 months. She was 12 when she started treatment. She has been in them for 5 years and counting because she won't stop eating stuff that she can't have and refuses to wear her rubber bands. Her Ortho thinks maybe she'll be out of them next year when she's a freshman in college. But she started out with an expander and Herbst appliance. Which with my teeth being as bad as hers...I'm looking to be in the same boat. I had an appointment and treatment when I was like 8 and I was in a retainer for a year/year and a half. In a way....I'm looking forward to it but I'm nervous at the same time.

Do you want a nice answer, or a real answer?? ;)

Honestly, braces suck, but they work. You probable won't be able to eat much for the first week, so get used to smoothies and other soft foods. Your gums will be sore. Advil can help. Also, whenever you get hit in the face, your brackets will likely cut the inside of your mouth. You can also get canker sores from them, but your Dentist should give you some wax or similar to put over the bracket so that it doesn't rub the inside of your mouth. And if you have wires, they will occasionally break and poke you in the mouth too. But you will love it when you get them off, cos your teeth will be straight and you'll feel much more confident in your smile if you aren't at the moment

What kind of braces are you getting?? That will make a difference in your experience (if you have trays/Invisalign instead of traditional brackets/wires)

I'll take the real answer, lol.

In all seriousness, I did hear that the first week is the worst. I've heard about he pain, the canker sores, getting used to brushing, flossing, not being able to eat right, the learning to be able to suck food from your braces when you can't get to a bathroom among other things. I do like my sister's results so far even though she's been in hers for over 5 years due to bad upkeep. But I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling and improving my smile.

As for the kind I'm getting...I'm probably going to be getting the traditional metal braces.

Oh yes. You'll become a pro at eating with your back teeth. I found it easier to tear pieces off and stick them onto my back molars. Much less painful.

Basically, you'll have to deal with the pain for a couple days until your orthodontist tightens them again. Don't be bad and take off the bands because you'll just have to deal with them longer. (I hated braces and used to pop off my own wires and brackets which definitely didn't help my case.)

I had seen a friend do this when she first got braces a couple of months ago. She looked awkward at first. Was his during your painful stage? As far as pain...I have a decent amount of pain tolerance so this shouldn't be much for me. I'll also try not to to pop off my hands and wires. My sister did this and really extended her treatment by 2 years.

Like @Beans100, I had braces for a really long time (6.5 years). But mine was due to complications with my wisdom teeth coming in and having extremely sensitive teeth. I was only supposed to have them for 3-3.5 years.

Braces suck. Especially if you have sensitive teeth like I do. But if you do what the orthodontist tells you to do and actually wear your rubber bands you will be fine. I hated my braces at the time but it was definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, chewing gum is helpful! Our orthodontist recommended sugar free gum to help with the pain of shifting teeth. Warm salt water rinses and ibuprofen are your friends also. Taking the ibuprofen before your appointment can help alleviate the pain after.
I think ti must depend on the orthodontist because we were told no gum at all, ever.

Like @Beans100, I had braces for a really long time (6.5 years). But mine was due to complications with my wisdom teeth coming in and having extremely sensitive teeth. I was only supposed to have them for 3-3.5 years.

Braces suck. Especially if you have sensitive teeth like I do. But if you do what the orthodontist tells you to do and actually wear your rubber bands you will be fine. I hated my braces at the time but it was definitely worth it.

My sister is in the same boat as you. She was supposed to have hers for around 4 years. She still has them over 5 years after having them installed and is supposed to get them off as a freshman in college (Art Major). My teeth are about as bad as my sister's...maybe a little worse than hers. I'm supposed to have my initial consultation Friday morning. I had a retainer when I was 8 for a year and a half. I do have sensitive teeth though. Mine seems to be most affected by temperature changes.

I think ti must depend on the orthodontist because we were told no gum at all, ever.

I had heard different things from different people I know. There are some people that said they can have gum at all and some that chew sugar free gum like no tomorrow. I'll have to see what my orthodontist says Friday morning.

No gum allowed for CP, either. CP's orthodontist gave us a refrigerator magnet with a list of the "No's" while she is on the braces diet. I think the most difficult thing for her has been finding fruits and veggies that she is allowed to eat and don't get stuck in her braces. She used to love oranges, apples, and carrots. All three times she broke her brackets were while eating one of those three things (well, she broke her bracket trying to pick the orange strings out of her teeth). She also used to hate cooked veggies because of the texture. But now she has gotten over her distaste in salad and most cooked veggies. And she has found that cuties are better than regular oranges.

Back