I'm Too Late?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I wouldn't trust sending my kids to a gym who had an 18 year old as the owner. No offence. It's hard enough for parents to trust 18 year olds as coaches, let alone owning the gym/program. Everyone here is right you can't be certified for all USASF levels unless you have coaching experience.

Even if you're a non-profit organization you still have to run your program like any other business or people won't join your program.

Also not to be a grammar nazi but I would also look over your posts before submitting them. If I had kids I also wouldn't be sending them somewhere that doesn't even spell check or check their grammar before sending an announcement out.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

i get that safety is a big part of cheerleading i'm 6'2 and big i would never let a kid get hurt i know how to keep kids safe also i come for a long line of business owners so i know what it takes too have a good business and i'm going to take everyone's advice to take volunteering job at a gym and learn what it takes to own one
How tall you are has nothing to do with coaching or safety abilities. It's not too late - in fact it is too soon for you. I appreciate your enthusiasm but based on all of your responses and posts on this board you need a couple of years experience and growing up before you are ready to own a business that deals with children.

Proud supporter of the IBFC since 1997

i get that safety is a big part of cheerleading i'm 6'2 and big i would never let a kid get hurt i know how to keep kids safe also i come for a long line of business owners so i know what it takes too have a good business and i'm going to take everyone's advice to take volunteering job at a gym and learn what it takes to own one
Glad to hear you are going to do some prep work! I really think it will benefit you.

Being 6'2" doesn't mean you can keep kids from getting hurt. I feel like if you had more experience you would realize that your size alone doesn't do that. We are talking about SO much more than catching them if they fall. Coaching proper form is just as important. For instance, my CP's private lesson coach prevented her from injuring her elbow by correcting a form error in her BWO, a level 1 skill. If he hadn't been properly trained he wouldn't have caught it and she would have likely eventually torn a tendon in her elbow doing it wrong. Same with her BHS. She wasn't placing her hands properly and was putting too much stress on her lower back. He corrected it to prevent a back injury. If you don't have coaches capable of catching and fixing those subtle form errors, even at lower levels you aren't properly looking out for safety. Safety means having coaches qualified to coach proper technique and correct mistakes to prevent injury. It is more than catching a stunt that goes bad. It's teaching proper form in the first place so the falls don't happen as often.

I wouldn't trust sending my kids to a gym who had an 18 year old as the owner. No offence. It's hard enough for parents to trust 18 year olds as coaches, let alone owning the gym/program. Everyone here is right you can't be certified for all USASF levels unless you have coaching experience.

Even if you're a non-profit organization you still have to run your program like any other business or people won't join your program.

Also not to be a grammar nazi but I would also look over your posts before submitting them. If I had kids I also wouldn't be sending them somewhere that doesn't even spell check or check their grammar before sending an announcement out.

i see your point but really the way i act in real life you might think i'm 30 and believe it or not but a lot of gyms owners start at 18 but i get it 18 year teaching dangerous skills to your kid doesn't sound safe

Glad to hear you are going to do some prep work! I really think it will benefit you.

Being 6'2" doesn't mean you can keep kids from getting hurt. I feel like if you had more experience you would realize that your size alone doesn't do that. We are talking about SO much more than catching them if they fall. Coaching proper form is just as important. For instance, my CP's private lesson coach prevented her from injuring her elbow by correcting a form error in her BWO, a level 1 skill. If he hadn't been properly trained he wouldn't have caught it and she would have likely eventually torn a tendon in her elbow doing it wrong. Same with her BHS. She wasn't placing her hands properly and was putting too much stress on her lower back. He corrected it to prevent a back injury. If you don't have coaches capable of catching and fixing those subtle form errors, even at lower levels you aren't properly looking out for safety. Safety means having coaches qualified to coach proper technique and correct mistakes to prevent injury. It is more than catching a stunt that goes bad. It's teaching proper form in the first place so the falls don't happen as often.

like i said i did a year volunteering coaching i know how dangerous a new skill can but my size does help me keeping kids safe and my techniques

I guess I would have liked more info to start than your simple question but yes, it is too late this season and as others have said I agree that you should get a job coaching at an established gym for a few years to really learn the ins and outs of ot from a coaching side. From personal experience the younger you are the better it is to learn from someone else and gain that confidence and knowledge that only comes from a mentor.

Protecting the anonymous since this post

like i said i did a year volunteering coaching i know how dangerous a new skill can but my size does help me keeping kids safe and my techniques
A year of volunteering in order to stat the certification process is not enough to teach you what you need to know about coaching and safety to be a gym owner, period. I am going to leave it here because I don't think you really want to hear what we are saying. I admire you for wanting to do this, but you just don't have the experience or skill and there is no way I would entrust you with my child's safety. Maybe 4 years from now when you have certified levels 1-5 and have some practical experience under your belt, but not now.

@sojorge123 one of the things you have to learn how to deal with as an owner is how to deal with parents. I'd encourage you to read the entire CA rumors thread and compare how you've responded to "super cheer moms" (the entire tone of that response was just rude) here with how @BlueCat responds there in order to do some research on how a successful owner delivers customer service.

Honestly, you could be the best coach in the world and if you don't learn to treat potential or actual customers respectfully you will not be successful.

After review of statements made by you, sojorge123, I must recant my earlier ideas of Prep and Pop Warner teams and start up times. Sojorge123, speaking to you as a mom of a cheerleader or your potential customer, you need to concentrate on preparing yourself to 1 day be a gym owner, but that endeavor is going to take longer than next season; what I am hearing from you is what we will call "instantaneous gratification." You see the glamour of it all when gym ownership is done properly, but what you don't understand for every 1 successful gym, you easily have 5 that closed.
Sojorge123, focus on taking baby steps- become certified to instruct levels 1-5, Instructor, Asst. Coach, Coach, Gym Owner and there might be levels I missed between these... I say it should take you about 10 years or more to reach your goals of gym ownership and have efficient experience on each level to lead a staff and maturity level to deal with potential Suzie's Moms, like me! Lol
Ps: Sorry for calling you a girl, I actually thought you were the young lady in your avatar...

Depending on when you want to have your first competition , you're not too late. Most gyms don't have their first major competition until November , that gives you two months to prep your team . It is pushing the success of your team , but if you really want a full team this season you're going to have to be in clockwork mode.

You need to be an facility that's already established and is suitable for a cheer team. So a gymnastics facility or another cheer gym are your only options. You need to hang up fliers , start some advertising . You need to go Varsity All star or GK and start ordering uniforms , you also need to create a code of conduct packet. There is no way you will be successful without having that . I have a new team this year too. You need a cheer mix as well. Finding an affordable company is hard .

Depending on when you want to have your first competition , you're not too late. Most gyms don't have their first major competition until November , that gives you two months to prep your team . It is pushing the success of your team , but if you really want a full team this season you're going to have to be in clockwork mode.

You need to be an facility that's already established and is suitable for a cheer team. So a gymnastics facility or another cheer gym are your only options. You need to hang up fliers , start some advertising . You need to go Varsity All star or GK and start ordering uniforms , you also need to create a code of conduct packet. There is no way you will be successful without having that . I have a new team this year too. You need a cheer mix as well. Finding an affordable company is hard .

How does one order uniforms without have kids to size them too?

Protecting the anonymous since this post

Back