OT Inappropriate Discussions With Athletes

• Thread starter Deleted member 41136
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
D

Deleted member 41136

My coach was wondering why I was falling out of all of my stunts at practice and she as well as all of my bases asked me if I gained weight and told me to go on a diet! Anybody else disgusted by a coach saying this?

My coach was wondering why I was falling out of all of my stunts at practice and she as well as all of my bases asked me if I gained weight and told me to go on a diet! Anybody else disgusted by a coach saying this?

I'm sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't feel sorry for me! My coach knows that weight discussions trigger my ED! It's like why would u want that for your athlete!

I'm sorry that you have to put up with such an insensitive coach! Can you talk to the cheer director about it?

My CPs coach asked her if she ate too much turkey over Thanksgiving since she was not hitting her stunts. Thankfully that was a joke.

I worry a lot about weight issues in cheer. I know my 12 year thinks about. Thankfully she seems much more relaxed about it than she used to be. She used to weigh herself every week. When we moved the scale didn't come with us!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'd say it's inappropriate to talk like that at practice. Even if it were a joke that's thin ice.

I once had a dance teacher who was totally against any mention of nutrition or health at all. Sounds good in theory, but at rehearsals and concerts the kids (and parents) would eat extraordinary amounts of fast food, which really isn't good for performers. Conversely, my cheer coaches always believed in good nutrition, and taught us to be healthy and fit, but approached things in a very gentle and appropriate manner. We were always taught to be comfortable in our own skin, but to look after ourselves as athletes and as people, bringing healthy snacks to practice and eating the right things to ensure maximum energy and fitness.

There's a way to have these sorts of conversations, but coaches certainly have to be careful and knowledgeable about how to do it.

Last edited:
Don't feel sorry for me! My coach knows that weight discussions trigger my ED! It's like why would u want that for your athlete!
I don't understand how or why they thought those remarks would be okay. You coach need to put some sort of policy in place that bans negative body talk on your team, and she needs to rethink her actions. Shameful.

If I hear a base telling a top girl they are "too heavy" or that a top girl is "really heavy" the entire team conditions. I don't put up with it, especially not at the youth/junior age. A lot of problems tend to start there.

Love that idea. My coach used to make any girl run three laps around the mats saying "I'm beautiful" if she ever heard any of us say "I'm fat" or "I'm ugly". It always struck me as corny, but I appreciate the intention behind it.

Love that idea. My coach used to make any girl run three laps around the mats saying "I'm beautiful" if she ever heard any of us say "I'm fat" or "I'm ugly". It always struck me as corny, but I appreciate the intention behind it.

I love that. Maybe I'll incorporate that, but fortunately my athletes are pretty positive about themselves/their team at this point. They learned pretty quick that I take those comments seriously [emoji16]

I had a coach tell me I was too heavy once and then told my mom the same thing. Saying the bases were having a hard time because I weighed more than the other flyers and it was muscle not fat lol. Also this was when I was still hitting stunts consistently I just was a bit rusty with some stuff since I had taken some time off of cheer. My moms response was "well if 3 people can't manage someone who is 110 lbs then that's a conditioning and strength issue not a weight issue".

Cheer can be a ruthless sport sometimes ...I wouldn't put up with that from a coach or anyone else for that matter...and if the director didn't take the complaint seriously I'd be pulling my kid from the program.

I am so thankful that our coaches don't mention weight! For some weird reason my CP always looks a little less toned at the first couple of comps, but as the comp season goes on she firms up. I don't really understand because she is in the gym the same amount of timelqqetgf during Dec - April as she is May - Nov. There is an occasional extra practice Dec - April but nothing to make a difference.

Back