All-Star Instructing Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 16, 2010
So, its been talked about here and there, and may already have a thread (if so, point me in that direction), but, as far as certification goes, I could answer everything on paper no problem. I can study the rules over and over again and explain to you how to spot fulls, layouts, tucks, etc. Ive been credentialed up to a level 4. But, to be very honest, I really only feel comfortable spotting up to level 3 skills as I never threw skills higher than that. The one and only time I had to spot a full was in high school and a stupid decision on my coaches behalf. The girl laid me out! At 16, I wasn't going to tell my coach no and I worked for her spotting tumbling in her all star gym (that only lasted a season I may add).

At our gym, our athletes go elsewhere for tumbling. I work with a couple of kids when I have the time because I know what the are working on, and know I can safely instruct them in that particular skill. What I want to know is, since the goal is to eventually -and safely- have a level 5 team, where do others go for instruction? We are all on the same page that we want our coaches to be certified, properly trained, and experienced in teaching tumbling. I really have no problem sending my girls to other gyms with instructors who are experienced in that field, but for my own benefit, are there hands on classes available for those who want to get better? I do not think I will ever be a coach who will teach a child how to full, but I do think I will need to be 100% confident in spotting one.

I wanted to ask this question too, I know my limits and my girls are starting to pass them. It makes team practices hard when they don't all show, we're in our off/training season:confused:

The easiest way to learn is to take a small kid ( mini/youth age) that isn't anywhere close to working them (do you don't mess up technique) and spot them standing from an elevated surface.

Start by just having them jump and land on their stomach in your arms, then slowly turning and guiding them through the rest. Gradually increase the speed until its smooth. Then dmstart the process over from a bhs (perhaps with someone who is working on them) always starting at the beginning.
Basically you learn to spot fulls the same way you teach any tumbling, in baby steps, (and no conditioning required). Eventually as your skill and confidence grows you can spot full blown running fulls. The hardest way to spot and possibly what you eventually want to get to is to learn to bump and catch a full/dub. I'm not there yet except on fills with some athletes (and some experienced athletes that already have the skills.)

You might have luck finding a gymnastics or cheer gym with experienced coaches to teach you as well, just make sure they know what they're doing. Ms Debbie has helped me on this before.

However, the best answer IMO is don't spot them. I can spot a full and have spotted mostly for those that are coming back from injury and need a confidence boost. Use progression from tumble tramp to put to the pit to mats to floor then you never have to spot. Throw in a rod floor if you have one for good measure.

At our gym, our athletes go elsewhere for tumbling. I work with a couple of kids when I have the time because I know what the are working on, and know I can safely instruct them in that particular skill. What I want to know is, since the goal is to eventually -and safely- have a level 5 team, where do others go for instruction? We are all on the same page that we want our coaches to be certified, properly trained, and experienced in teaching tumbling. I really have no problem sending my girls to other gyms with instructors who are experienced in that field, but for my own benefit, are there hands on classes available for those who want to get better? I do not think I will ever be a coach who will teach a child how to full, but I do think I will need to be 100% confident in spotting one.

Perhaps contact USAG?

We attend conferences (gymnastics mostly for skills) throughout the summer and always go to the hands on spotting classes given. Those are great for learning new ways to spot (they always bring experienced kids that know what they're doing for you to practice.). We also bring in outside coaches to teach spotting classes.
Our training continues throughout the year too, but the summer is when we work on ourselves the most.
Spotting is like tumbling though, you need to practice it and get lots of reps for it to stick and for you to be comfortable.
Mat up and practice with someone that knows how to do the skills you want to spot. We will even call kids that aren't enrolled with us anymore if they have a skill we are working on in spotters training.

@ Cupieqt - where are you going for these classes?? I find next to no tumbling instruction (for cheer) anywhere....
To expand a bit on KRECheer thoughts; we both would love to have some sort of tumbling instruction program to learn the progressions, how to spot them, what we need to look for with respects to correct form, etc, but we have found precious little.
And I was thinking about all of these changes in regards to rules and I would love to see an informal (or formal) survey of those instructors at gyms who are basically retired cheerleaders and not "certified". I am NOT knocking anyone. I just really believe that a majority of gyms use former athletes that could tumble to teach those coming up. Until there is some type 0f training program for cheer tumbling, then these rules mean little to me. At this point, I am not even thinking certification, I am thinking I don't want any child hurt on my watch. Thoughts on this?

You asked for it, we answered!!! Brandon will be hosting a HANDS on coaches training camp!!! Covering, Stunts, Tumbling and Baskets as well as proper conditioning training for COACHES! Dates and further details are being ironed out as we speak. It's looking like the 2nd weekend in June (8th and 9th). As soon as I get more details I will pass them on.

You asked for it, we answered!!! Brandon will be hosting a HANDS on coaches training camp!!! Covering, Stunts, Tumbling and Baskets as well as proper conditioning training for COACHES! Dates and further details are being ironed out as we speak. It's looking like the 2nd weekend in June (8th and 9th). As soon as I get more details I will pass them on.

Love it! This is such a great idea, and I think it could really take off. Keep me posted on details for sure.

Let me know the details. I think regardless of how many years you have been doing and coaching this sport, education is very important. Even if it's just to gain a new perspective on skill development.

hopskipandjump we go to GAT (gymnastics association of Texas) in Austin almost every year. It's held in late August/early September every year.
We also look for clinics like the one Brandon is having that yojaehs mentioned above. We will be looking into scheduling that one for this year
: )

However, the best answer IMO is don't spot them. I can spot a full and have spotted mostly for those that are coming back from injury and need a confidence boost. Use progression from tumble tramp to put to the pit to mats to floor then you never have to spot. Throw in a rod floor if you have one for good measure.
My cp learned hers without a spot. She went from tumble track, to rod floor (w/resin pit), to spring floor. Last year she was out for two months due to an injury. As a precaution, her coach spotted her on her first full after coming back and it completely freaked her out and threw her all off. She prefers never to be spotted for fulls (running or standing). She works her new skills on the tumble track or into the pit until she confident enough to do them successfully by herself on the spring floor.

I actually thought about this or if coaches can't get to the class. What about making (and selling) a DVD of "How to's" and I mean legit "how to's".... Including drills, progression, and conditioning that applies to that skill. Maybe there is something like this out already, but all I've ever seen isn't quality.

I actually thought about this or if coaches can't get to the class. What about making (and selling) a DVD of "How to's" and I mean legit "how to's".... Including drills, progression, and conditioning that applies to that skill. Maybe there is something like this out already, but all I've ever seen isn't quality.
The best I have seen is on ForTheLoveOfTumbling.com. I like that idea. Camp staff for all companies get a DVD beforehand. I always find mine helpful.

Back