All-Star International Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
I searched and found an old thread about this but I want to confirm. Please explain what an international team means. Say I was at a comp in the US and saw IO5. How is that different from a "regular" level 5 team.

I searched and found an old thread about this but I want to confirm. Please explain what an international team means. Say I was at a comp in the US and saw IO5. How is that different from a "regular" level 5 team.
It's the age, IO5 is 14+ with no max age. Compared to Senior 5 which is 12-18.

Open 4 and IO6 is 17+

It's the age, IO5 I'd 14+ with no max age. Compared to Senior 5 which is 12-18.

Open 4 and IO6 is 17+

OK, but what is the international part mean? I remember asking a coach at my daughter's gym and they said "it's a level 5 team with at least one international athlete, someone from another country" And now I'm wondering if 1. the coach didn't know the accurate info, 2. they told me that as a joke. I hope there is another explanation because I don't feel good about options 1 and 2.

OK, but what is the international part mean? I remember asking a coach at my daughter's gym and they said "it's a level 5 team with at least one international athlete, someone from another country" And now I'm wondering if 1. the coach didn't know the accurate info, 2. they told me that as a joke. I hope there is another explanation because I don't feel good about options 1 and 2.

An international team is not required to have anyone from another country on it. Usually (almost always) teams from other countries compete in the international divisions at worlds.
At worlds in the IO divisions, only the top 3 from each country advance to finals. In contrast, in the senior divisions finals is the top 10 scores and country isn't a factor.

The only country I know of off the top of my head that competes in the senior divisions with any regularity is Canada, but I believe I saw another country in Small Senior All Girl this year, but off the top of my head I can't remember which country it was.

International is essentially synonymous with the term open, in regards to the age.
It started because those were the divisions most non-US teams entered at Worlds, though they are free to enter the senior divisions as well.

Outside of the US people haven't really started cheer at the same young age that Americans have, meaning it's difficult for us to field a competitive team that's under 18. I can see the UK eventually entering in divisions other than international soon though, as cheer really has grown so much over the past 5 years and there's a now a bigger pool of kids that are young enough

Outside of the US people haven't really started cheer at the same young age that Americans have, meaning it's difficult for us to field a competitive team that's under 18. I can see the UK eventually entering in divisions other than international soon though, as cheer really has grown so much over the past 5 years and there's a now a bigger pool of kids that are young enough
And literally half an hour later one of the UKs biggest programmes has announced they are creating a true level 5 senior team ages 12-18.... so spooky!!

And literally half an hour later one of the UKs biggest programmes has announced they are creating a true level 5 senior team ages 12-18.... so spooky!!

"Programmes" lol so British.
Who is it? And what division?

Unity Allstars - Senior Coed. They didn't say what size yet since our season still has a couple of months to go and tryouts will be in July.

This is in addition to IOC6 and IO5.
And instead of their IOC5 - will be really interesting to see how this plays out

Back