Is Cheerleading A Sport??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We kind of exist in a strange line between sports/gymnastics and dance. I think I agree with most people that Sideline cheering isn't really a sport but Competitive is.

I live in Illinois and the Illinois High School Association considers competive cheerleading a sport. My team is VERY competitive, even though I'm in junioh high lol

~Statebound<3

My DD competed against high school cheer this last weekend, to compare 15+ girls to 8-10yr old girls I think puts sideline cheer in a waaaay different category than what she does!

I think competitive cheer transcends the label of sport or not. If one wishes to think it a sport or not is all the same. Cheer is what it IS!

I think allstar cheer is defiantly a sport because you have to, stunt, jump, and tumble in 2:30 which is hard at first. I think rec and sideline cheer isn't that much of a sport but sometimes that's all an area has. So idk. I mean you still have to clap and learn a routine and use your voice to yell so I guess it's also a sport.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Sideline is not a sport...all star competitive is a sport...I always thought that by calling all star "cheerleading" was perhaps not the correct title for it...when people hear that they automatically think of sideline cheer.

School cheer is 100% not a sport but competitive Allstar cheerleading is 200% a definite sport. The def of a sport is is competing against another opponent

School cheer is 100% not a sport but competitive Allstar cheerleading is 200% a definite sport. The def of a sport is is competing against another opponent
Which means that school cheer is a sport, because they compete too.

Perhaps you meant to say, like others have, that sideline cheer isn't a sport, but competitive cheer (whether all-star or high school) is?

varsity explains why cheer is not a sport on it's website, but you can take those reasons and turn it into a sport because the last reason it isn't is "sole purpose is competition" where sideline isn't but all star would be

One of the reasons school cheer is not a sport is that under Title IX (some fancy school legislature), school cheerleaders would have to go to a certain amount of comps a year (I want to say its 4 or 5) making it almost impossible to cheer on the sidelines at a lot of games (which, is what we're there for in hs), and a lot of squads don't have the money/resources for that. Plus the only benefit we'd receive by calling it a sport is a little bit of funding, so it isn't worth it in high school. However, a lot of schools treat their cheerleaders like they're just as important as other team sports. At my school we're allowed to get letterman jackets for the same amount as football players, and we get tickets to the athletic banquet. But I totally agree that competitive cheerleading is a sport, and I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't been legally ruled as one yet.

One of the reasons school cheer is not a sport is that under Title IX (some fancy school legislature), school cheerleaders would have to go to a certain amount of comps a year (I want to say its 4 or 5) making it almost impossible to cheer on the sidelines at a lot of games (which, is what we're there for in hs), and a lot of squads don't have the money/resources for that. Plus the only benefit we'd receive by calling it a sport is a little bit of funding, so it isn't worth it in high school. However, a lot of schools treat their cheerleaders like they're just as important as other team sports. At my school we're allowed to get letterman jackets for the same amount as football players, and we get tickets to the athletic banquet. But I totally agree that competitive cheerleading is a sport, and I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't been legally ruled as one yet.

In the state of Illinois, (competitive) school cheerleading IS an IHSA-sactioned sport. They DO go to at least 4-5 competitions AND cheer at games. So your statements about school cheer may apply to your school, but you can't generalize and say it applies to "school cheer" in general.

In the state of Illinois, (competitive) school cheerleading IS an IHSA-sactioned sport. They DO go to at least 4-5 competitions AND cheer at games. So your statements about school cheer may apply to your school, but you can't generalize and say it applies to "school cheer" in general.

Oh, I'm sorry! I probably should have realized that wasn't in all states.

Reactions: JMW
Back