Is Cheerleading A Sport??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry to say but cheerleading is NOT a sport. Cheerleaders ARE some of the most talented athletes in the world but due to the structure of cheerleading it's not set up to be a sport. The introduction of the sport STUNT is structured to be considered a sport. i.e. 4 quarters, 2 halves, coin toss, substitution of players so on and so forth. I know this comment will undoubtedly get some negative reviews but it is purely from an objective approach from someone who has spent over 16 yrs involved with all levels of competitive cheerleading. Love cheerleading wholeheartedly, but the classification of what we do shouldn't diminish our views of what we do. Cheer proud!!
I'm happy you are trying to show the facts here. STUNT, however is not structured to be considered a sport. It uses sports terms, but the fact that not one college administration or athletic department endorses it at as a sport is evidence to the fact.

NCATA was created as a sport from it's association that runs it, to the rules and safety, to competitive schedule and format.

does it really matter? why is the word "sport" so cherished? cheerleading requires a great amount of athleticism, skill and mental fortitude. thats all that matters.

some guy who stands at 3rd base waiting for something to happen every 15 minutes and then sits on a bench waiting to go up to bat every 20 minutes plays a game that is considered a sport. the word and the games that are associated with the word aren't always that impressive, so they can have that word.

being part of something that isn't always considered a sport isn't really that much of an insult or does it in any way diminish the amount of athleticism, skill and mental fortitude that is required to cheer at the all-star level.

Back