All-Star Is It A Failure To Not Progress?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is my CP's sixth year- the first year she was a tiny... She has been on Y2 for three years- for her, it has been the mental block about a tuck- she is not a thrill seeker- Splash Mountain horrifies her... Yet she keeps plugging along, loving what she does and now has her tuck. How many times have I been asked if she is still a Level 2? Dozens... How many times have I tried not to calculate the $ spent- more than I care to admit. Her smile and excitement when she competes are all the results I need! Even six years later....

My cp is a tumbling challenged gym rat. At 7, she chooses to be in the gym 5-6 times a week (2 team practices, 1 flight school, and usually 4-5 tumble classes and she works her butt off.....and she will probably be placed on Mini 1 again this year.

I refuse to think that her past two years have been a failure even though the team usually placed in the middle of the pack at comps, and I refuse to negate her progress during the past two years just because she probably will not be placed on a higher level this year. She is close to the BHS, but our gym usually places kids according to where they are at tryouts , unless they are needed for a specific reason.

I am not saying that she works as hard as a level 5 athlete- so please don't go that route . We all know what sacrifices they put into their training, but at seven she is dedicated beyond most of the older level athletes she trains with. She willingly opts to miss her friends' birthday parties, and eats, breathes and sleeps cheer. I feel like some people here are saying that I should pull her out and make her cheer rec again, because she has not progressed according to their ideals :( and to be honest , that sucks.

Last edited:
I started cheering at age 14 which is very late for most, and I had absolutely zero previous cheer, dance or gymnastics background. My first 2 seasons were spent on level 2. Within a year I got a back handspring. My third season cheering I was on level 3 but I didn't have all level 3 skills because I was at a small fm and that was the only senior team they offered. So I learned the stunting. My last two seasons at a big gym I was on level 3 as well. Last year I got my running and standing tuck. Although I never made it to level 5, doesn't mean I didn't progress. I progressed so much in my short time cheering and I'm confident going into college cheer tryouts. So it is definitely NOT a failure to not make it to level 5

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I also started cheer at a late age, I was 13 and cheer in the UK was quite far behind cheer in the US. My first team competed at level 3 and progressed to level 4. When I went to university I joined the level 3 team there. For me, it was a huge step backwards. The routines were far more basic than what I was used to and I didn't learn any new stunts or tumbles that I didn't already know. However, those four years, although I wasn't being challenged, gave me time to perfect the skills I already had. My dance improved, my basing improved, my jumps improved. I even learned to fly. When I returned home the team I had originally left were now a level 5 team and I knew I didn't have the tumbling or stunting skills to return so I joined a level 3 team. This was the best decision for me because I actually felt like an asset to the team rather than someone who had been pushed in to a level too soon.

It's not all about reaching a level 5 team and having all the skills because eventually you'll run out of something to work towards and if you don't have an individual goal then where is the drive to work hard? I still wish I had been able to learn more tumbles and I would of liked the opportunity to stunt at level 5, but for me level 3 is where I am right now and it's where I'm happy to stay. I know at 23 I won't be learning level 4 tumbles (barely have level 3 tumbles anymore) and I don't consider myself a failure for not making it to level 5 or to worlds. I got my level 1 and 2 coaching qualifications before I moved to Florida for a year and I'm really excited to start using them when I return home. I'm spectating at worlds this year for the first time and that's enough for me.

I started cheering at age 14 which is very late for most, and I had absolutely zero previous cheer, dance or gymnastics background. My first 2 seasons were spent on level 2. Within a year I got a back handspring. My third season cheering I was on level 3 but I didn't have all level 3 skills because I was at a small fm and that was the only senior team they offered. So I learned the stunting. My last two seasons at a big gym I was on level 3 as well. Last year I got my running and standing tuck. Although I never made it to level 5, doesn't mean I didn't progress. I progressed so much in my short time cheering and I'm confident going into college cheer tryouts. So it is definitely NOT a failure to not make it to level 5

Good Luck with your college cheer tryouts:cheering:

Furthermore, what does being L5 have to do with your original post asking if lack of progression = failure? I'm confused.

As the role of Devil's Advocate, in the sport of AS Cheerleading, shouldn't all athletes participating want to reach for the highest level possible in the sport... the reason I initially looked this post up of progress* because exactly, is being a L5 athlete should be everyone goal in AS Cheerleading and if you know that you do not have the goods to reach that level, why not try something else... I was just wondering? IS AS Cheerleading a SPORT or just a FUN activity to do to stay fit and socialize with your friends?:D

Unlike many of the previous posts, I started cheerleading at a very early age and still never progressed to level five. I started all star cheer whenever it first really blew up, and back then proper technique was never really taught and it was all about progressing as fast as you could. From this, I had tons of mental blocks and injuries, and I also know that I will probably be in pain for the rest of my life. That said, I was a very strong level four athlete whenever I graduated. Of course, I would have loved to reach level five, but it just wasn't in the cards for me. Considering I've been out of allstar cheerleading for 4 years now and still come on the board and purchase the worlds live feed, I think that is enough evidence to say I was successful. Success isn't measured in becoming a level five athlete, falling in love with the sport and enjoying the short time you have in it is enough of a success. I know many level five athletes who did compete at worlds who are burnt out and never want to look at a cheerleading video again, and I'm happy to say I will continue to watch the sport progress for many years.

My son plays baseball as a way to stay active and socialize with his friends. It's a sport...a game. Is he trying to be in the MLB? Well, he's a sophomore in high school, so I suspect we'd have an inkling if he were being scouted at this point. Does he want to play in college? Sure. But his main reason to be there is because he enjoys it and enjoys the friendships he's made.

Eta: my senior son got cut from baseball this year. Should he stop playing and enjoying the game because he's not good enough for his high school coaches and won't play in college? Just wondering.

As the role of Devil's Advocate, in the sport of AS Cheerleading, shouldn't all athletes participating want to reach for the highest level possible in the sport... the reason I initially looked this post up of progress* because exactly, is being a L5 athlete should be everyone goal in AS Cheerleading and if you know that you do not have the goods to reach that level, why not try something else... I was just wondering? IS AS Cheerleading a SPORT or just a FUN activity to do to stay fit and socialize with your friends?:D
If I remember correctly from some of your other posts, your daughter was a gymnast before she cheered. So I guess if we're comparing this to other sports, everybody in gymnastics' goal should be to be an elite gymnast and go to the Olympics. Do you believe that your daughter didn't succeed in gymnastics because she didn't go to the Olympics? In my opinion, it seems like she clearly succeeded as a gymnast since she's 10 and is on Twinkles, so I'm assuming she can tumble. But she quit gymnastics to cheer. I really doubt you tell your child that because she quit before she made it to the highest level, that she was a failure.

If I remember correctly from some of your other posts, your daughter was a gymnast before she cheered. So I guess if we're comparing this to other sports, everybody in gymnastics' goal should be to be an elite gymnast and go to the Olympics. Do you believe that your daughter didn't succeed in gymnastics because she didn't go to the Olympics? In my opinion, it seems like she clearly succeeded as a gymnast since she's 10 and is on Twinkles, so I'm assuming she can tumble. But she quit gymnastics to cheer. I really doubt you tell your child that because she quit before she made it to the highest level, that she was a failure.

Hey BigBow, you are correct in your assessment of my daughter and her gymnastic aspiration... pretty much most of the girls in my daughter's circle had that mentality that they were the next big time Olympiad and for them it is/was a failure to not progress to that level... Furthermore, she is now cheerleading and all the girls in this circle are again the next big Elite Athlete,,, so for progression=failure for them will be anything but L5.... So, Yes, for me as a parent it is a failure that she did not stay in the sport of gymnastics since she had the potential in that sport and progression=failure for my child, if she did not reach the elite standard... but it was my daughter, who wanted cheerleading, so much more than gymnastics, and fell in love with the AS cheerleaders she saw on ESPN... So it would be the athlete, who set the tone of what is progression and failure in a sport... To be honest, I will never tell a child that they fail, but if my child did not reach her potential in a sport, I will be subtly guiding her to reassess and look at other sports...Just saying!;):cheering:

Why on earth should everyone have the same goal? The only way for something to be considered a sport is if everyone is working towards the top level?

Just out of curiosity, why? What is the point of reaching the top level in cheer if it's not emotional/social/etc? It's not for scholarships, that's for sure. Anyone who says they put their child in a high level travel sport for scholarship opportunities is delusional. The amount of money spent on elite travel sports would pay for college flat out, with no scholarship opportunities. But cheer especially. At least with something like baseball i could see hopes of going pro. With gymnastics i could see hopes of going to the Olympics (which has financial benefits too - lots of marketing deals and appearance deals etc after that) What future are you building with cheer that's not emotional and social?

Learning to work towards a goal and achieve success? I don't think the winners of a senior 1 division at The Summit feel any less of that than a Senior 4. Any benefits kids get from cheer i think can be equally felt across all levels.

Hey njallday, I must disagree with you on the matter of whether it is failure, I will be quite concern, if my child, after 14 years in a 'Competitive' sport was only able to accomplish 1 or 2 levels in that sport...:( If we are looking at AS cheerleading as a competitive sport... Shouldn't we be pushing our children to strive to be the best at it or considered recreational forms of cheerleading... As a newbie, I would think we will want our children to strive to want that NCA or Summit recognition and not be able to say, Oh yeah, I used to be a All star Cheerleader, but we only competed against our neighbor around the corner...Just Saying!:eek:

Someone already pointed this out, but you don't have to be level 5 to win NCA or The Summit. Actually, The Summit is an alternative to Worlds for non worlds teams. Your argument would make a lot more sense if the topic was teams only competing locally and never trying to go to bigger, more prestigious competitons.

Lastly, who are you (or anyone else that has said this) to say that someone else should quit if they can't get past level 2? I don't even understand your post. "Shouldn't WE be pushing OUR children"? Um... last I checked, WE don't have any children together. You don't get to say what the best for my kids is. If my cp wants to be level 2 for life, why do you care? More to the point, if I want to pay for it, why do you care? (Hypothetical - my cp already made a worlds team and graduated and is now in college)

Do you want to know the funniest part? My cp made a worlds team and was MISERABLE. She hated it. Hated her team, hated her coaches, hated how unsuccessful they were. She went from being on very successful senior 3 and senior 4 teams the previous year (one team was undefeated, jackets, etc - a great, successful season) to being on a Senior 5 that never placed higher than 3rd. So you tell me... which was closer to failure? The properly leveled team of happy kids competing at the level they belonged in, or the miserable team that hated each other and should have been a restricted 5?

I don't think failure has anything to do with reaching the highest level (or reaching the level your mother thinks you should, which is *actually* what most of this thread is about). I think it's everything to do with knowing your skill set and achieving the highest success you can with that skill set.

Whew! That was way longer than i meant it to be. It just sounds very condescending and irked me. :oops:

I know that you are a Twinkles mom and I find your comments interesting, especially since it seems to be contrary to the World Cup philosophy. I heard WC's owner speak about this exact subject last weekend and your thoughts and hers are the exact opposite. She promised everyone that her coaching goal is not to make sure that every child becomes a Shooting Star, but that they are pushed to succeed to whatever their best ability is and to find out the one, two or three things that make our cp's shine their brightest. That would be a coaching success in her eyes. She also stressed that the lower levels achievements (both personal and as a team) were to be celebrated as much as the elites.

I just can't grasp pulling your child from a sport that she enjoys; just because she is not getting the exact results that you think she should have. If my kid was slacking off, not practicing, and not giving it her all - I would be the first to reassess her/our commitment to the sport, but I would never pull her out because she didn't get a skill or move up a level according to my timeframe.

We can't all be level 5. We don't all have the same potential. As long as you can meet your own personal potential then you succeed. There are kids who walk into Rays that might cheer for 10 years and never progress past level 2. Are they failures? I can't think they are. If level 2 is their maximum potential then be the best damn level 2 we can be.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
That is definitely it in a nutshell. Children come into cheer as unique individuals. A new athlete learning to tumble at 5' 7" is probably not going to progress the same as the same aged athlete starting at 4'11". Also, children and parents have different work ethics, finances and different levels of commitment. Not everyone comes into cheer with the same expectations and who are you to say that their expectations don't measure up to what you equate as success. I am astounded that anyone would find it "funny" and can not celebrate or see the success and joy in a child who finally performs a standing back handspring in competition after repeating level 2. Not every child who walks through a gym's door has the potential to become a level 5 cheerleader but they do have the potential to become the best cheerleader...no matter the level achieved. The original post really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited: to take out misdirected finger pointing.

Last edited:
Why on earth should everyone have the same goal? The only way for something to be considered a sport is if everyone is working towards the top level?

Lastly, who are you (or anyone else that has said this) to say that someone else should quit if they can't get past level 2? I don't even understand your post. "Shouldn't WE be pushing OUR children"? Um... last I checked, WE don't have any children together. You don't get to say what the best for my kids is. If my cp wants to be level 2 for life, why do you care? More to the point, if I want to pay for it, why do you care? (Hypothetical - my cp already made a worlds team and graduated and is now in college)

I don't think failure has anything to do with reaching the highest level (or reaching the level your mother thinks you should, which is *actually* what most of this thread is about). I think it's everything to do with knowing your skill set and achieving the highest success you can with that skill set.

Whew! That was way longer than i meant it to be. It just sounds very condescending and irked me. :oops:

Hey Just-a-Mom, You know, you definitely right, WE don't have any children together and actually, I never mentioned anywhere what I thought was correct for anybody's child/ren...in the Devil's Advocate role, I only suggesting, when is a good time to assess...Personally for me, knowing my child, anything less than L5 for her will not be progression, but I am wondering as a new parent in AS cheerleading what is considered progression and when should we considered lack of progression as failure and choose other avenues... Some people are attaching personal feelings onto my initial posts of wondering and at the same time wanting to play that other side of a coin...
Additionally, someone equating my statements with E. Pascale's, she is a great lady and everything you hear and see of her is true gold... Don't mixed my statements with anyone else's ideas, what I expect and thinking are my ideas, and my ideas only! Matter of fact, I said upfront that I am playing Devil's Advocate, this means, I may throw out statements that people are thinking, but may not have the guts to vocalize... If you are going to attack me, attack me only... do not bring anybody else's ideology into the mix... that is truly unfair to that individual!

Back