All-Star Is It Just Me Or Is Sportsmanship At Level 5 Getting Bad?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think cheerleading has become hyper-sensitive about sportsmanship. If you don't tell someone that their team is the most amazing team to have ever graced this planet, people will call you a bad sport.

Now i definitely have to disagree, just for a personal standard. I by no means expect my competition to tell me I did a great job(though it would be nice), and I'm not going to lie and say I clap for each and every team. All I expect from everyone in the industry is an attitude of civility, respect, and tolerance. That doesn't necessarily mean saying good job or giving a standing ovation to each team, it simply means not going out of your way to be ride or put other people down

I think with level 5 it is just so intense and competitive, i mean some teams only have one shot at that worlds bid and it means so much to them. And especially at that high of a level the kids work so hard. i have to say though we all need to remember when critizing other teams they are KIDS preforming. they may seem famous but still they are kids. they dont deserve to be hated on, on the internet for doing what they love. THE END.

Now i definitely have to disagree, just for a personal standard. I by no means expect my competition to tell me I did a great job(though it would be nice), and I'm not going to lie and say I clap for each and every team. All I expect from everyone in the industry is an attitude of civility, respect, and tolerance. That doesn't necessarily mean saying good job or giving a standing ovation to each team, it simply means not going out of your way to be ride or put other people down

I was exaggerating just a bit. I agree with you Unfortunately, you and I are in the minority.

There are definitely teams that have bad sportsmanship but that is because of the owners allowing it to happen. This week at CSG this weekend UA , Cheer Command, and Gbe all cheered each other on even though they were in first , second, and third places competing against each other. This happens because the gym owners lead by example. There were others at same competition that did not show that same sportsmanship but that is because the owners allow the kids to act that way. Lead by example

Sorry wouldn't let me edit. You should want to beat your competition but do it on the floor. And it doesn't mean you have to cheer.for your competition but don't bash them because they beat you.

Sorry you've had bad experiences. Frankly, the longer I'm around this sport, the more I'm aware of great sportsmanship. I can't count how many teams I've seen compete where the priority section looks like a rainbow from all the different gym colors in the crowd.

Too much of the bad behavior is an isolated incident that we let "blow up" into something even bigger than it was originally. I live in Alabama. I'm an Alabama football fan. And I see idiocy in parts of both Alabama and Auburn fan bases.

Don't let it get to you. Don't let it consume you.

In this case, when someone acts particularly bad, you really ARE better than them.

It's funny. I spent an entire year watching my daughter perform, and pretty much every contact I've had with other coaches, teams, and parents has been positive. If there's been instances of bad sportsmanship at any of the comps we've gone to, I certainly haven't seen it.

Sorry you've had bad experiences. Frankly, the longer I'm around this sport, the more I'm aware of great sportsmanship. I can't count how many teams I've seen compete where the priority section looks like a rainbow from all the different gym colors in the crowd.

Too much of the bad behavior is an isolated incident that we let "blow up" into something even bigger than it was originally. I live in Alabama. I'm an Alabama football fan. And I see idiocy in parts of both Alabama and Auburn fan bases.

In this case, when someone acts particularly bad, you really ARE better than them.

Yes!! I agree 1000%%% with that. Unfortunately, you will have this wherever you have kids and Sports, and their parents/fans, etc.... It would be so awesome for everyone to be respectable, and cheer all on, but we all know that will never happen.. There are some awesome programs who do this All of the time, kids, coaches, parents/fans, owners etc... This realy needs to become a movement!! Cheers to Everyone!!!!:)

There's a lot being said about the coaches being responsible for good sportsmanship. What about parenting? These are things that should be started in the home and continued at the gym.

This is something that scares me...I believe it IS starting in the home. I can't possibly tell you how many times it's the PARENTS that I've noticed being the worst sports of all. So many of them sit up in the stands, bashing teams in the arena and on the floor, with little to no regard to who may be overhearing them or even sitting right next to them. As soon as their child doesn't win they launch into a tirade about how the other team didn't deserve it, no matter what actually happened on the floor. This has a bigger effect on their children than they could possibly know, and I wish there was a way to address this as well.

(These are the people who make me thankful for my own parents and the many other amazing parents in my program, who are pretty level-headed about the pros and cons of competing and do their best to avoid the drama.)

It's the nature of the beast to put it simply. For every fan, you have two people behind them trying to bring you down. Just try to remember, they don't hate you or your team, they hate the concept of you or your team. If that makes sense.

Sorry. Even in bad taste for me.

I think with level 5 it is just so intense and competitive, i mean some teams only have one shot at that worlds bid and it means so much to them. And especially at that high of a level the kids work so hard. i have to say though we all need to remember when critizing other teams they are KIDS preforming. they may seem famous but still they are kids. they dont deserve to be hated on, on the internet for doing what they love. THE END.

I agree with you, the competitiveness is definitely where any bad sportsmanship is rooted from- sometimes you want it so bad that you can't help but be a little aggressive about it. But still, that's no excuse to be rude toward other cheerleaders. We try so hard to make a good name for cheerleaders not only from our own gym, but for cheerleading as a sport, so why ruin it with bad sportsmanship toward each other? Plus, it's a life lesson to be learned- sometimes girls forget that (as much as I hate to say it) it's only cheerleading, so it's no excuse to treat another human being badly!

And I know I mentioned the negative mini experience, but luckily they were in the very small minority. It just stuck out to me more because of the age.

Most of the time, I see great examples of sportsmanship, often to the point of getting chills / teary-eyed. Nothing wrong with winning or trying to win, it is how you do it (in cheer or anywhere!)

honestly these are all great opinions :)
and they coaches and parents comments are soo true too, because they should teach respect to all their athletes!
which some teams do!! i have also seen some great sportsmanship this season but i have also seen some bad, which is why i started this, hah!

and like someone said about the youtube videos they are writing nasty stuff on there, like oh you suck or you shouldnt be a 5. and most of the time the people commenting are not even at the skill level of a 5.

idk i just feel that people get caddy and i am not going to lie when i cheered there were teams out there that i didnt exactly `like`! and honestly every cheerleader wants to go out there and win, no matter who you are, but u are not always going to be the best there is and if you see another team that is say having a really good day and preform great you should cheer for them, because EVERY cheerleader knows how hard they work to get there and they know its not easy! cheerleading is a hard thing to do and every team has there good days and their bad days!

You know what, that is so true....my father and two siblings went to the ACC tourny this past weekend and right at the end thought Florida State won at the buzzer...turns out it wasn't in time but my family thought they had won. Anyway, a VT fan (grown man) started yelling at them (rudely) and my little sister started crying! :( She's 14 btw.

Why do people do stuff like this? Especially to child athletes..?!

Back