All-Star Is It Just Me Or Is Sportsmanship At Level 5 Getting Bad?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mini cheer can be crazy...I honestly think regarding parents it is the worst division for this behavior. For most of the parents this is their first season, they have no idea how the sport works or anything about rules, the kids are all 8 and under so they are still "mommy's little baby". And if you tell a mom that her little angel is not 1st place...run....Most of the bad sportsmanship I've seen has come from this younger age group. Last year I had a mom from another gym tell my cp "Get over it, you can't be 1st all the time". The crying comes with the age group, last season cp cried the 1st few comps that they placed low in but by the end of the season she realized that sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. She actually likes losing every once in awhile because then "it makes the wins so much more exciting".
Wow...I can't believe a mom from another program told your cp to "get over it"! I guess it's true that you really can't be first all the time, but still...RUDE! I'm going to have to prepare myself, I guess! My cp is going to be a mini next season, I think...either that or youth. That's great that she learned over the course of the season how to lose gracefully too! I see so many teachable moments that can happen. I'll just have to keep my eyes out for those moments! :)

I wish more teams did this. I love your gym already!
Aww thanks! I am just a team mom, but I try to do my best!! :)

I think part of it too with the parents (and I am in NO way excusing bad behavior) in say Mini 1 is that they are often new or relatively new to the sport. I know I try to explain to our parents why team A did better than team B, since most of them don't know the intricacies at the level (e.g. a squad majority front walkover can score higher than cartwheels for example.) I am still learning myself, but it definitely helps to understand why a team wins.

Lots of bad sportsmanship at UCA this wknd. Our kids' signs got torn down and ripped in half at the hotel, ACE parents were ecstatic we fell the first day and had touchdowns the second day, and some mini 2 kids were bawling their eyes out at awards because they got 2nd.

Sorry. I can't muzzle everyone.

Yeah, UCA had its ups and downs. Our gyms Junior 3 won this weekend, and parents from the 2nd place team were in the middle of awards and kids from our team overheard them telling their kids, "You deserved it so much more than them. You worked so much harder for it..". It was news to us that those parents had flown up to MN to watch our practices....

Yeah, UCA had its ups and downs. Our gyms Junior 3 won this weekend, and parents from the 2nd place team were in the middle of awards and kids from our team overheard them telling their kids, "You deserved it so much more than them. You worked so much harder for it..". It was news to us that those parents had flown up to MN to watch our practices....

Why this competition? Is it because it's at the end of the year and everyone is burned out? There was a video posted to Facebook that caught bad sportsmanship in action...I was really surprised, but it was only one person so it can't be indicative of the whole program.

i agree that a lot of it happens at the younger levels and/or gets blown up. My cp's(youth) tends to get eye rolls a lot. for example, at NCA this year she told the team going on in front of them "good luck" and they did reply with "good luck" then rolled their eyes as they turned away. She reports this happening quite frequently when she is trying to be a good sport...LOL. i wonder if the sincerity is questioned when kids try too hard. At UCA last weekend there was a team that stood and clapped on the awards floor for EVERY team when they announced their place. i truly believe that they were sincere, but judging by other's reactions around me, they seemed to think it was more of an "in your face" thing. i think it's best to assume good intentions until you're proven otherwise.

Last year going into day 2 of NCA my cp's mini team was in 2nd place. Our gym owner passed the 1st place team in the hall in a prayer circle, their coach was praying for our team to drop their stunts. That was bad. i couldn't even comprehend prayer for someone to do bad. that can't bring you good karma ;) but it our 3 years in all stars and one on the show team that's the only really really obnoxious thing i've experienced.

At our gym, being a good sport who wishes their competitors luck and claps for the winners is a requirement, not just a bonus.

At one of our bigger comps, my cp's mini 2 team got awards at the same time as their junior 2 team - and my wife was telling me that the older girls were explaining to the younger ones how to behave during awards. (when to clap, when to stand up, reminding them to be good sports no matter how they placed, etc.) I think when your older girls are setting the example, the younger ones notice.

i agree that a lot of it happens at the younger levels and/or gets blown up. My cp's(youth) tends to get eye rolls a lot. for example, at NCA this year she told the team going on in front of them "good luck" and they did reply with "good luck" then rolled their eyes as they turned away. She reports this happening quite frequently when she is trying to be a good sport...LOL. i wonder if the sincerity is questioned when kids try too hard. At UCA last weekend there was a team that stood and clapped on the awards floor for EVERY team when they announced their place. i truly believe that they were sincere, but judging by other's reactions around me, they seemed to think it was more of an "in your face" thing. i think it's best to assume good intentions until you're proven otherwise.

Last year going into day 2 of NCA my cp's mini team was in 2nd place. Our gym owner passed the 1st place team in the hall in a prayer circle, their coach was praying for our team to drop their stunts. That was bad. i couldn't even comprehend prayer for someone to do bad. that can't bring you good karma ;) but it our 3 years in all stars and one on the show team that's the only really really obnoxious thing i've experienced.

oh.my.god

There are almost no words for this (I take that back, there are but they aren't appropriate for this board). I would be absolutely LIVID if I found out one of my cp's coaches did something like this!! As in, I would immediately pull her out. I am not a religious person, but I still wouldn't tolerate that level of disrespect for anyone's religion! Too bad someone didn't get that on video, I mean really?!!

Just a thought...maybe we as parents need to encourage our gym owners and coaches to take some time (would be most helpful right before new comp season this fall) to remind some team memebers and teach those that

I've seen my share of bad sportsmanship through the years. However, the worst cases almost always involve parents, and not the kids. It's sad really. As a coach, I can only get so far with the kids. I can tell them how I expect them to behave, I can lead by example, and I can have control over them when they are with me. But, I'm a believer that the most important lessons come from home. If they are witnessing their parents fighting in the stands, belittling their competition, or any of the other crazy things I've seen, it really doesn't matter how much I teach them. Mom and Dad have set the example that it's ok to act like a raving lunatic or poor sport.

Sorry...accidently hit post and wasn't finished and just learned you only have 4 minutes to edit...as Iwas saying remind some and teach those that haven't been taught sportmanship from home. They need to know how to lose AND win with style. It really bothers me when the 2nd place team is announced and the 1st place team that just figured out they won is jumping and screaming instead of the giving the 2nd place team their moment in the spotlight.

I have a nice picture for you guys. This was taken after the first day of competition at NCA. We were losing, but these girls still made it a point to spend time together. After we lost on the second day, they spent most of the rest of the day just hanging out. Just kids...not competitors anymore. Our girls have been competing against each other since YE and Twinkles days. There's no reason they shouldn't be friends. Considering the hype around our programs, I'm proud of them...and us! It's not all bad at L5!

181915_10150092573255423_640345422_6621927_41773_n.jpg

Back